Eggs in the morning?

Options
hollye31
hollye31 Posts: 23 Member
I was just wondering, I heard that eating an egg (omelette) in the morning first thing for breakfast promotes weight loss as it somehow burns the food you eat later on in the day faster or something? I'm not 100% sure on all the facts but especially if you exercise after I heard it helps lose more weight, is this true or false?

Also is an omelette or scrambled egg a general good idea for breakfast or is a bagel (150 cal) a better idea?

Replies

• Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I believe the reason an egg (or 2) at breakfast is good for you (and for weight loss) is because eggs have good fats and a highish level of protein which will keep you fuller for longer, at least that has always been my belief behind it.

I am deff an egg a day girl (though I'm not trying to lose)
  • jess_1993
    jess_1993 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    an egg in the morning is definetly the way to go! It keeps me full for longer thanks to all that protein, a great way to start the day!
  • purple_k
    purple_k Posts: 16
    Options
    eggs=protein, and my trainer reccommends a high protein breakfast/lunch as opposed to carbs from grains (e.g toast,cereal) using the thinking that if you have glycogen (from the carbs) readily available in your system during the rest of the day...your body will go straight to them as an energy source rather than the fat. if there's no glycogen floating around it will burn fat instead.. thats my understanding anyway!
  • ddrobins1956
    Options
    You'll be satisfied for much longer with the egg, than you will be by having a bagel. Protein sticks with you longer and while the bagel may seem more filling while you are eating it, you'll be hungry again much sooner.
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    My neighbor has chickens, it's become very cool to have chickens in areas that are not farmland now. I go to his house and get 1/2 doz for $2, which is a bargain where I live, and they're delicious. I'm almost addicted to eating them daily, and I use kosher salt on them. So good. And I fry them in coconut oil, and piece of bread that I dip into the co. oil, total calorie count is 347. Then I have energy for a while and I'm not hungry.
  • mmarin81
    mmarin81 Posts: 241
    Options
    I like 2 hard boiled eggs with 6 pieces of ham, but I thought eggs everyday werent as good for you. I try to do only 3 to 4 days a week with the eggs.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I'd say skip the fatty egg, and the processed bagel, and go straight for some fruit, but many people swear by the egg. Some people even blend a raw egg or two into their breakfast fruit smoothie, but that's not for me.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    The reason why they tell you to eat in the morning ( within 1 hour of waking up ) is to start your metabolism , your body is in need of nutrition from not eating anything for X amount of hours you slept. Eggs are just good for you full of protein and healthy fats ... doesn't have to be eggs though.

I read or heard someone say this once.

Think of your metabolism as a bonfire, so all day your stocking this bone fire by adding food to it to keep it going and going so it doesn't burn out. When you go to bed over time the fire slowly goes out and turns into just some small amber's since it has nothing to burn ... so when you wake up you need to add some fuel to the fire to get it going.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Usually during the week, I eat cereal. It literally keeps me full for about 1 hour. On the weekend, I have 2 eggs, some sort of bread like an english muffin or tortilla, with either cheese, ham, or turkey bacon. That keeps me full for SEVERAL hours. I love eggs!!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    always choose the egg over the bagel. ALWAYS.

Choose the bagel over nothing. :)

Protein over carby/sugary stuff is always the better route.

I put egg whites in my protein shake in the morning (along with white kidney beans or black beans, and often canned pumpkin).
  • AbbsyBabbsy
    AbbsyBabbsy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I love eggs and have 2 every morning-- over easy, the only way to go. They don't keep me all that full, so I combine them with a serving of oatmeal and the combo seems to do the trick.
  • lynnetted43
    lynnetted43 Posts: 252
    Options
    every morning i have egg whites 8 of them with a quarter cup shredded cheese, three tablespoons salsa on top!! mexican egges. lasts me at least til 10 am
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Love eggs in the morning. I change it up between the whole egg and the egg whites, depends on my calories for the day. But I cook 2-3 (again depends on which part I'm using) and put it on a whole wheat sandwich thin with a Laughing Cow wedge. Yum :)
  • CruellaClo
    CruellaClo Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    My choice is egg beaters with some veggies every morning (1/2 cup egg beaters is about 50 cals just add veggies). I am working with a nutritionist and it is the way to go. The protein stays with me longer, makes me feel satisfied and I am dropping the lbs. I say egg it up!
  • maieranne77
    maieranne77 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    For sure! I am on the egg train. Both me and DH have 2 every morning. DH has cholesterol problems and Dr. recommends eggs every morning for him!
  • shreddin_mama
    shreddin_mama Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    i'm not sure but protein is always great for you!
  • misty0413
    misty0413 Posts: 212
    Options
    yes please! i had eggs for dinner 1 real egg plus beaters with spinach, mozzarella and salsa
  • vade43113
    vade43113 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Don't know about the first question... but I have been known to eat eggs for all three meals... just in different ways normally
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Protein is the way to go. Have some every single meal and you will feel satisfied longer. Fruit is a fine add on if you can do the sugars but it should not be a whole meal. Your body needs the protein to rebuild your muscles that you use for everyday activities and exercising.

Doesn't have to be eggs. Can do other meats or protein shakes or eggbeaters if you are worried about the consumption of that many eggs. Note that dietary cholesterol is not the reason people's cholesterol is high. It is many factors and not that they eat too many eggs.
  • kristinamariemc
    Options
    I'm going to try this for about a week and see how it agrees with me. I can have 1/2 cup of my (generic) egg subtutute for 2 WW points and then toss in some combination of veggies/ham/turkey sausage/bacon bits/lowfat cheese. I like to make "eggs in a mug" -- quick and simple on busy mornings, which mine always are.