Strength training but unable to do standard push up?

Options

Replies

• SueSlick
    SueSlick Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Checkout this link on a program to get you to do 100 push-ups http://hundredpushups.com/ There are similar links for other exercises too! Good luck!

Thanks for this link!
  • walkner88
    walkner88 Posts: 165
    Options
    Big thing we do when training new recruits who aren't too good with pushups, is to have them start in a standard push up position but instead of hands on the floor they put their hands on something a little below chest level. Still keep the back straight and core braced work up to around 25 like this while doing the movements slow and with proper form. Every time you hit 25 move the thing your hands are on down by a foot. You are increasing the amount of body weight involved by about 5% at a time.
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Why is it that decline pushups are easier than the standard ones? I can perform like 15-20 standard ones per set but the decline ones I could go on for a lot longer for some reason. Maybe the positioning of the feet??
  • walkner88
    walkner88 Posts: 165
    Options
    Decline can be easier for some people because it shifts the work more towards your shoulders and triceps instead of chest.
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options
    I hate push-ups and usually just hold plank if they're in the workout I'm doing. The odd thing is that I love doing push-ups on a stability ball and that's supposed to be harder. For exercising the chest I much prefer chest presses and flies.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    i second the thing about needing a strong core.. to strengthen core, do planks.

in the meantime, you can start off with angled pushups against something like a wall, chair, low table etc and gradually decrease the distance.

when i started, i used those aerobic step risers and would just take off a riser. eventually i was jut on the step and then on the floor.
    Definitely this. Girl pushups don't prepare you for regular pushups, because it's a totally different exercise. You're not engaging the same muscles and your arms are at a different angle relative to your torso. Doing pushups against the wall/couch/bench/step etc maintains the exercise but just takes some of the load off while you build strength.
  • nuttyduffy
    nuttyduffy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Here's how I built up to full push-ups, hope it helps :flowerforyou:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/how-to-do-10-full-push-ups-what-worked-for-me-126396

Ooooh thanks for this - I'm doing Insanity and have moved up from girly pushups to knees & can do a couple of wide leg ones so nice to know I'm not too far off ;0)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Knee pushups won't get you there unfortunately. It's just a different exercise. Like people have mentioned, a pushup combines the strength you need from your chest, shoulders and triceps with the core exertion demand of doing planks. Pushups are actually harder than bench presses in that regard.

That said, you'll be able to do them. But you'll have to keep trying to do the real ones. My wife couldn't do one and she kept at it, trying and failing, till now she can bang out full sets T pushups (she's a showoff!).

One thing that will help get you there quickly that I haven't seen mentioned here is negatives. Get yourself in the top position using your knees, elbows, forklift, whatever and lower yourself down slowly. Aim for a 4 or 5 count. Get yourself back to the top, then lower again. Do a set of negatives 3x a week and you will find yourself knocking out pushups like it's nothing. FAST
  • kitkat4141
    kitkat4141 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    The strength will come from your core. If you've neglected your core muscles then military push-ups will be very difficult.

Thats really interesting - I automatically thought it was my arms that needed most work. What exercises do you recommend to strengthen the core and therefore help with pushups?

A great way to strengthen the core is to do planks and try to increase the time you can hold it. Also do "elbow" planks where your forearms are resting on the floor just under your shoulders. I agree with Vailara that you also need to have some strength in your arms, back, and your shoulders. It's all about starting with what you can do and working your way up to one push-up, then two, etc.

Two years ago I could only do one push-up and it was really "saggy". I started strength training working all the muscle groups, and did abs exercises several times a week. This enabled me to finally do military push-ups.

My trainer incorporates push-ups into her training routines and when I start to "wane" she tells me to pull up with my stomach and use my toes. I don't know why, but that helps me immensely and I am able to finish just as strong on the last as I did on the first.
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Doing wall pushups and working my way down was the only way I finally became pushup proficient. The knee pushups weren't helping.
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Bump! I need this tread! I want to do a military style push up too!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    Because you're not used to doing them like that. just like anything else you're not used to doing it feels awkward. just suck it up and do it. It sucks, but do it.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Modified push-ups don't necessarily work the same muscles as "real" ones.

Start where you are. Lower yourself that half-inch or so and push it back up. Try to go a bit lower. Hold it at the bottom for a while. Keep working at it. Also, make sure your abs are tight. Jillian Michaels holds the plank for a while in her abs sets, and by itself that can be a workout. Try to improve a little more each day. Be willing to fall sometimes, but fight to keep up. As you train those muscles you'll find yourself closer and closer, and eventually kicking everybody's butts in pushups. :wink:
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    The strength will come from your core. If you've neglected your core muscles then military push-ups will be very difficult.

^This exactly
  • seamonkey789
    seamonkey789 Posts: 233
    Options
    I jumped straight into dance classes at 14 and part of my jazz classes, in addition to sit ups, isolations, and other dance stuff, part of our warm up was 40 push ups. No modifications allowed.

I couldn't go down far at first, I just went as far as I could go and stuck with.

Oddly, when I got older and got a job in a kennel bathing dogs, I could do some super human pushups
  • tamraj
    tamraj Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later. Thanks all- same problem here.
  • gungho66
    gungho66 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    you need to do more core exercises and just keep doing them "boy style ' ONE DAY AT A TIME . its just simple progression, one to one and a half is progress, just keep trying and it will come.
  • jcm529
    jcm529 Posts: 36
    Options
    I did push-ups for about six months against a wall because I was so weak in my upper body. Eventually though, you get strong enough to do a standard push-up. And boy, is it empowering when you do! Now I can crank out 15-20 of them, lol.

This!

It is better to modify pushups against a wall or counter, and eventually lower and lower objects (kitchen counter, bathroom counter, coffee table, etc) bc it is less stress on your knees and it incorporates your full body like a regular pushup does. Eventually you will be able to start doing standard pushups.
  • Pauline3290
    Options
    BUMP