Can you be too heavy to Jog?

Options

Replies

• Engelcrt
    Engelcrt Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My Physiotherapist told me that if you have knee problems, try not to use the incline on either the elliptical or treadmill, it puts a lot of strain on the knee. Use the incline gradually when the knee is getting better.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I'm 240lbs and I started running 3 weeks ago and love it loads! I worry if I will do myself harm reading this. I told my physiotherapist and he didn't seem concerned though! X
  • piratesaregrand
    piratesaregrand Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my c25k on a cross trainer. Similar movement to running, but you don't get the impact of hitting the ground
  • Loozin
    Loozin Posts: 91
    Options
    I'm doing my c25k on a cross trainer. Similar movement to running, but you don't get the impact of hitting the ground

Interesting, how does that work exactly?
  • YoukilledJosh
    Options
    I started at 315, once you get going you will know pretty quickly if your able to handle it, just start slow and do what you can!
  • piratesaregrand
    piratesaregrand Posts: 356 Member
    Options

Interesting, how does that work exactly?

I think you call them an elliptical? I just put it on light resistance then go at a walking pace for the walk bits, then go as hard as I can for the run.
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Do it. As you lose weight and get better it gets easier. I started when I had only lost about 15# and don't regret it at all.

Good luck!
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    My Physiotherapist told me that if you have knee problems, try not to use the incline on either the elliptical or treadmill, it puts a lot of strain on the knee. Use the incline gradually when the knee is getting better.

All treadmills should be put at an incline of 1% otherwise you are actually putting more stress on your knees because an incline of 0% is a slight downhill (hard on the knees) and an incline of 1% mimics outside running.
  • Levedi
    Levedi Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I'm around 220lbs and I was running slowly, but regularly until I got a stress fracture in my left foot. My chiropractor said not to jog at all because it's bad for the joints. My regular doctor said to get better shoes and use the ellipticals, stationary bikes, and swimming until I was fully healed. I'm splitting the difference and doing more on the ellipticals than I did, but getting back into running. I'd say go easy, listen to your body, and get a good medical opinion. And wear decent running shoes.

Good luck!
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Hi Pals,

I'm 268.5 lbs and have recently started a a C25K programme.

I'm not and haven't really been a runner, but have a desire to become one.
    But, at the back of my mind I keep thinking am I putting too much strain on my body in it's current condition.
    Having said that Weeks 1 & 2 have gone OK.

Run or not to run?

Loozin
    Walk first. Do a lot of walking. Don't try to push it too hard, at first.

When you can, start with some "walk/runs" Walk for a while, then run until you can't run anymore, and go back to walking until you catch your breath. Then start running again. If you feel pain in your knees or shins, stop running, and walk more.

Pretty soon, your body will be able to run, even if only short distances at first.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    It depends on your joints not your weight. If your knees and hips can take it then why not.

Mine can't. I go to the gym and use the elliptical and I do walk as that doesn't put as much stress on the joints. Crank the resistance up and you will certainly get a workout. The elliptical is much easier on my hips and knees then the walking but I like the walking for getting outside in the fresh air.

I would say whatever you do start slow. Don't run 3 miles one way and then not have the energy to get back home. :-) Trust me that sucks.
  • lesle1
    lesle1 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I was 265 pounds when I walked/ran my first 5K. Mainly walking. Listen to your body. Get the right shoes. I wish I'd started long before I did. I had bad knees, so I don't know exactly what happened. I guess the weight coming off and my legs getting stronger helped my knees. They only bother me occasionally now when I'm going up or down a bunch of stairs...and that's not too often. Hey I go up and down the stairs with a 6 year old on my shoulders. : ) They never bother me when I'm running. I don't get it but it's fine with me. : )
  • patranus
    patranus Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Define "jog"

Get on a treadmill and see what it takes to get your HR in your target zone.
  • betsyr13
    betsyr13 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    C25K is good because it's a gradual build up to running and you do walk a good bit of the workout at first. I think if nothing hurts so far, you have good shoes, and you don't have any injury or medical issue to be cautious of other than your weight, you will probably be just fine to continue.
  • cls_333
    cls_333 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Whatever the question, RUN is always my answer! :) Pretty soon (if you do run) you won't have to ask anymore. If weeks 1 & 2 have gone good, why not? The Biggest Loser almost always has their contestants run. Just ease into it, with no more than 10% increase in mileage each week. Wear good shoes, and keep at it.
  • HornsUT32
    HornsUT32 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    When I started running, I weighed 270 pounds at 5'6". I could hardly run one minute straight, but I started on the treadmill and ran in the cardio cinema because I was so embarassed.

I kept running and it became addictive!!! I will be honest and let you know me knees are beat up because of it. But at the same time, the more fit I became, the less they hurt. I ended up getting a cortizone shot last year, but now taking 2 advil about an hour before I run does wonders. I also ice afterwards....

Anyhow, my point is that I now weight 192. Running seems like the best exercise without a doubt, at least for me. Do a little at a time and work up to your goal. The weight will come off so quickly!!!
  • EternalJourney
    Options
    I am 266 lbs and run every day on the treadmill. So far no problems.

Listen to your body, though. If in pain, stop.
  • brun73
    brun73 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I was 310lbs when I started C25K the end of April, I hadn't ran in almost 13 years, and thought this could be the death of me before I started the first run. I just finished the 1st run of week 6 tonight, and I feel great, you just have to find a good pace that works for you(which took me a couple weeks to do bc I had a bad habbit of trying to run to the music I was listening to!!) and you'll be fine. I'm actually going to run my 1st 5K 2 weeks from today. So I say RUN!!!
  • beebee0925
    beebee0925 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Hi Pals,

I'm 268.5 lbs and have recently started a a C25K programme.

I'm not and haven't really been a runner, but have a desire to become one.
    But, at the back of my mind I keep thinking am I putting too much strain on my body in it's current condition.
    Having said that Weeks 1 & 2 have gone OK.

Run or not to run?

Loozin

I completed a half marathon ten years ago weighing about as much as you weigh now. I averaged about a 13 minute mile so I wasn't going too fast. Right now I weigh well over 300 pounds and I want get back to how I was. I just completed week 5 on the c25k program. I'm going pretty slow. My jog portion is a 4.0 on the treadmill which is a 15 minute mile and I've never had any problems with my knees.
  • likeschocolate
    likeschocolate Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    if you want a accurate answer -- you will have to consult your physician.

some people can handle it and do well (as some of the posters have said). some people have joint problems or other health issues (also as some have said).

it is hard for us to give you a good answer that takes into account all your circumstances.