My fiancé INSISTS that he needs to lose 30 pounds..?

Options
My fiance is a 5'4, 110 pound male. For some reason he is insisting that he needs/ wants to lose 30 pounds, which would put him at only about 80 pounds. Maybe I'm looking at this wrong but that doesn't seem healthy at all to me.
I don't know what to do or tell him. I told him I don't think that's healthy at all but he got upset with me and continuously said "that's what I want, don't question it."
Help, please. I'm so confused. :(

Replies

• quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484
    Options
    Yeah . . . 80lbs? I feel like that's the sort of thing you should question.
  • niightwind
    niightwind Posts: 81
    Options
    Yeah . . . 80lbs? I feel like that's the sort of thing you should question.
    Yeah I'm not sure where he gets the idea that that's good or healthy or anything... He's had an issue with me losing weight (even though I *am* overweight), and I feel like this is his way of threatening me to stop.
    I don't know what to do. :/
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    He wants to be 80lbs? I'm only 5'9" and I doubt I'll ever see a figure below 200lbs on the scale. What you need to do is give him a very stern talking to and explain that 80lbs is an unhealthy weight for all but the very shortest of women, let alone a guy.
  • matmismel
    matmismel Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Show him a BMI chart and let him know that 80 lbs is not a healthy weight for a grown man of his height. Or, find out why. Maybe he just wants to be more fit, and for him that might mean building muscle, not losing fat that doesn't exist.
  • YoukilledJosh
    Options
    Does he have any good reasoning for it?
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    There is no response to this that I can think of the wouldn't get me a warning. So i will respectfully bow out.
  • GrAlVt
    GrAlVt Posts: 42
    Options
    Use fat2fitradio's calculators and figure out what would be a good weight for him. Show him the numbers you come up with and explain why you think his goal is unhealthy. If he continues to insist and doesn't present any room for discussion on the topic, then tell him he can lose the 30 lbs without you.
  • D446
    D446 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Wow. He must already be very small, I don't know why he would want to lose anymore, although it sounds very unhealthy. Does he typically watch his weight or he is naturally that thin? It is possible that he could have some sort of disorder?
  • michellematteson
    Options
    He's had an issue with me losing weight (even though I *am* overweight), and I feel like this is his way of threatening me to stop.
    I don't know what to do. :/

So basically this is like a toddler holding his breath so that you will break down and do what he wants instead of acting like an adult... really cool.

You have a couple of choices. 1) Ignore him, and continue what you are doing. If he is being passive aggressive, trying to talk to him about it won't help. If this is the case, his plan on losing 30 pounds will fizzle out once he realizes that you are not doing what he wants. 2) Invite him to join you. Plan out meals together, go exercise together. Don't force food on him, but make sure he doesn't sabotage you at the same time. If he truly wants to be healthy maybe he will see that the 30 pounds lost is not a healthy goal and enjoy his time with you. 3) If it's an eating disorder try to get a loved one involved. Parents, friends, someone who is on the outside of the situation and can help you keep an eye on him. If it looks like he is getting ill they can help you convince him to see a doctor, or help you find help when its needed.

Good luck.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    He's had an issue with me losing weight (even though I *am* overweight), and I feel like this is his way of threatening me to stop.
    this makes me think that he's deliberately picking an anorexic goal as an attention seeker's method of getting his own way. it seems utterly childish, manipulative and unpleasant.
    i vote you completely ignore this behaviour and get on with your goal.
  • niightwind
    Options
    He's like this naturally. Weight has never been an issue for him, he's always been very small. People still mistake him as a teenager or child.

It could be that he wants to get more fit but even though he doesn't do a ton of exercise he's usually active throughout the day (compared to me, at least).

I'll try showing him a BMI chart. Hopefully that will help. :/
  • niightwind
    Options
    So basically this is like a toddler holding his breath so that you will break down and do what he wants instead of acting like an adult... really cool.

You have a couple of choices. 1) Ignore him, and continue what you are doing. If he is being passive aggressive, trying to talk to him about it won't help. If this is the case, his plan on losing 30 pounds will fizzle out once he realizes that you are not doing what he wants. 2) Invite him to join you. Plan out meals together, go exercise together. Don't force food on him, but make sure he doesn't sabotage you at the same time. If he truly wants to be healthy maybe he will see that the 30 pounds lost is not a healthy goal and enjoy his time with you. 3) If it's an eating disorder try to get a loved one involved. Parents, friends, someone who is on the outside of the situation and can help you keep an eye on him. If it looks like he is getting ill they can help you convince him to see a doctor, or help you find help when its needed.

Good luck.

Thanks for the suggestions. :) I'll give ignoring it a try for now but if he continues insisting (or actually starts trying to lose this weight), I'll give one of your other suggestions a try.
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    He apparently has an eating disorder. I'd advise you treat this very seriously and not look for us for advice. I recommend a doctor or other medical professional.
  • grannygethealthy1111
    Options
  • torie079
    torie079 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Guessing he has an eating disorder, and he's pressuring you to loose weight... Suggest seeking help.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    men can have eating disorders too
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    My fiance is a 5'4, 110 pound male. For some reason he is insisting that he needs/ wants to lose 30 pounds, which would put him at only about 80 pounds. Maybe I'm looking at this wrong but that doesn't seem healthy at all to me.
    I don't know what to do or tell him. I told him I don't think that's healthy at all but he got upset with me and continuously said "that's what I want, don't question it."
    Help, please. I'm so confused. :(

He needs to see someone about an ED.
  • WillPowerYes
    WillPowerYes Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Not to sound harsh, but I'd reevaluate if I wanted to marry someone who is either extremely manipulative, or, has an untreated mental health issue. If I were you, I'd take a big step back and cancel the engagement until he gets professional help for whichever problem he has.

Good luck. And remember, you should think of yourself first when considering a marriage .... what is best for YOU?
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    He apparently has an eating disorder. I'd advise you treat this very seriously and not look for us for advice. I recommend a doctor or other medical professional.

This. Men can having eating disorders just as easily as women can.

Not to sound harsh, but I'd reevaluate if I wanted to marry someone who is either extremely manipulative, or, has an untreated mental health issue. If I were you, I'd take a big step back and cancel the engagement until he gets professional help for whichever problem he has.

Good luck. And remember, you should think of yourself first when considering a marriage .... what is best for YOU?

This too.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    you sure he is not a 12 year old boy?. . . . . . becuase then that might be an acceptable weight...............