Food/calorie help

Options
Ok fellow mfp'ers I need some help. My daily calorie goal is 1200 plus exercise call. They are usually 200 to 400 calories a day depending on how much i don't want to exercise. Lol. I have a hard time staying within my calorie range. I can do it but it is hard to do and it usually ends up being processesed foods with higher salt and fat. I am working out 40 to 60 mins a day 5 to 6 days a week with a day of lifting. I just started this and i had a 4 lb weight gain that has came back off. All in the same week. I need help with food. I can't figure out what to eat that is healthy and help curb my tendency to over eat. I feel fatter if that makes sense and my pants are tighter. I am going to keep working out if for it helps my depression alot but im getting discouraged on how i feel like im gaining.

Sorry if confusing and rambling. Posting fro, phone.

Replies

• maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I find that complex carbs and extra protein really help me stick with my calorie goals - things like lean turkey, chicken (boneless, skinless chicken breasts), and tuna are godsends for me. It sticks with me longer and makes me not so starving.... drink your water, that can help too!

You can do this!!! And soon it will kick in and just "click" for you that exercise earns more food :devil: that's the only reason I do it. :laugh: :laugh: :blushing: Okay, not the ONLY reason, but it's a big one!!!! :laugh: :devil: :laugh:
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    i would recommend that you increase your daily calorie intake. if you're still hungry, then that's your body telling you you're not eating enough. trying 1300 or 1400 calories plus exercise calories. it may slow you down a little, but it will be better for you in the long run.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    What kinds of processed foods are you eating? That's a good place to start. Some starting points:

1. Start adding healthy salads in to supplement the processed foods.
    2. Eat breakfast every day
    3. Limit refined white breads and pasta and instead use whole grains.
    4 If you are going to eat high sodium foods make sure that you are balancing it with high potassium foods and drink plenty of water.

Generally, protien and fat (healthy) will curb your appetite. So add protien into each meal and consider nuts or peanut butter as snacks. (just remember a little goes a long way).
  • metalpalace
    Options
    This may help. It's a blog. Pay particular attention to the part about timing your nutrients and the eating schedule http://tombirkenmeyer.blogspot.com/2009/10/simplify-your-meal-planning-for-vibrant.html
  • fernandiniv
    Options
    Im in the same boat Im at a standstill, I cant get past this hump and when i work out its the scale always tells me Im heavier, something has got to give
  • ChristyMomx3
    Options
    thanks everyone. I eat breakfast. Usually fiber one cereal or something similar with fat free milk. Processed foods for lunch, like canned soups, chilis, microwave stuff that i know is bad for me but i dint know what else to eat. Supper time i usually eat baked chicken with seasoning or bbq'd sauce, green beans or steamed brocoli, and a baked potato with some butter. I think my biggest problem is lunch. And i do seem to eat more pasta then i should. Can't get my husband to buy whole grain anything so i may have to buy and cook seperate pasta for me. What can i do for healthier lunches, and snacks. I don't know if i should up my cal because most of the time i eat out of boredom. I know i can do this but i need help.. Lol
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I think you should get more accurate numbers to start, and log everything correctly.

200-400 calories and your working out 40-60 mins. You might be surprised, depending on the exercise you might be burning more than 300-400 calories in 60 mins.

Canned soups, microwave stuff. Yes they're better than fast food places, but most times they have alot of sodium.
    What to take for lunch? Salad, tuna, chicken on Whole wheat, turkey.
    Leftover from previous nights dinner, that had protein and vegetables.
    Where's your snacks? you mentioned 3 meals. Try to aim for 5-6
    BBQ sauce. Lots of sugar, be accurate and log it.
    Can't get my husband to buy whole grain anything so i may have to buy and cook seperate pasta for me.
    Sorry your husband doesn't want to buy those things. Does he not like the taste? most times you can't tell.
    But if that's what needs to be done, you buy it and cook it, do it.
    Brown rice, Whole wheat pasta. Watch how much sauce you use, they can also have lots of sodium.
  • kbglazier
    kbglazier Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Ok, here are a few ideas for your lunchtime menu. I know it is hard to stay away from processed foods because they are much easier to fix at lunch (especially in a work environment). I go out, and go to a small family bar-b-que place and order the KIDS meal that comes with about 4 oz of chicken (no sauce, no skin), and green beans (I toss the roll out) or even a fast food grilled chicken, remove the top bun, throw in a side salad and order of apple slices. OR, at home I make a big salad to take with me and add to it sliced deli ham & eggs, 1/2 an avocado (good fat), lots of cucumber, celery, and dressing on the side and a piece of fruit. Mid morning snack I usually have a string cheese, (low fat and portable) and a handful of almonds. Same for afternoon snack only replace the string cheese with apple slices or a greek yogurt. ( If I am on the run, Kids meals with the fruit option and a water are your best bet calorie wise, portion wise) You might also try a bigger breakfast but stay low fat, low cal by adding a piece of fruit, or a toasted english muffin half with a touch of peanut butter. That way when lunch rolls around, you are not starving to death.

On Sundays I make a large pot of Tortilla soup, or Vegetable Beef soup, where I control all that goes in, including sodium, but try to make it spicy...I find that helps me eat less. I pair it during the week with a piece of fruit, a salad, or maybe a sugar free pudding. It really takes a little time, but goes a long way in keeping you from picking up a less than healthy substitute.

Oh, and WATER, WATER, WATER, WATER. I use a ton of Crystal Lite but it really helps me get all my water in for the day. Oh, and I agree about upping your calories by about 200 especially if you are working out that much. Maybe your body is hungry (but push the proteins especially after a big workout) and try individual servings of the Minute Maid brown rice. I LOVE IT!!!
  • Desiderata
    Options
    Eat fiber!! it fills you up! an apple compared to a bag of chips is obviously a better choice, but because it doesnt have empty calories, its full of fiber (which can keep you from noshing on crap for a couple hours), and its a great way to wake you up, with its crisp flesh and juice. Any kind of fresh fruit will do this for you, and an apple is actually cheaper than that bag of chips in the vending machine.

The only reason i'd eat junk food is because its accessible. Keep good food always in reach and soon you wont be craving the bad stuff anymore.

As for working out, just as long as you have at least 40 minutes of physical activity a day, you cant go wrong. just steer clear of the junk food!
  • allisontaylor
    Options
    If you still want/need frozen lunches, I highly recommend trying Amy's All Natural brand and Kashi. They both have some great options with lots of veggies and lower sodium. If you like ethnic food, Amy's makes some of the best Indian Vegetable Korma I've eaten! Also awesome enchiladas/burritos/veggie and bean bowls. Prices are a little steeper, but still cheaper than eating out. I also LOVE leftover brown rice topped with edamame (shelled soybeans which are super high in both protein and nutrients). I make a pot of brown rice, pre-measure it and the soybeans (just pour frozen ones out of the bag) into lunch-sized tupperware, warm in the microwave at lunch time, and sprinkle with salt/pepper/soy sauce. Add a piece of string cheese for another healthy addition. For snacks, I love Stoneyfield Farms Organic Fat Free Chocolate Underground yogurt - 180 calories for a large serving, bananas, prunes, cashews/almonds, and apples w/ peanut butter. Another lunch favorite is 100% whole wheat bread (toasted), spread with dijoinaise (or brown mustard), topped with 1/2 avocado (sliced), and one slice of low fat cheese - microwaved till cheese is melted. Good luck! Oh and for the hubby - mine is a biscuit and fat back kinda guy (and stays super skinny). I started by "sneaking" in whole wheat pasta (cook longer to help the texture), brown rice (cooked into dishes), and turkey or soy substitutes. After a while, I told him what I'd been doing and he finally admitted that the taste wasn't bad. I think it can be a mental thing for some, so I vote for sneaking it to see if he even notices :)
  • jsignorino3
    Options
    Add more fruits and veggies to your diet. You could take a tray of veggies to work and snack on them throughout the day. You would be surprised at how few calories they have. If you need a dip...you can mix meijer fat free sour cream with a hidden vally ranch seasoning..it's only 25 calories for 2 TBSP. I eat alot of the Campbells select harvest light soups. They are only 100-120 calories for the whole bowl and they have less sodium than all the other soups. Today I am eating 1105 calories and this is my menu...

Breakfast: Dannon Light and Fit strawberry/banana yogurt smoothie (70 cal)

Lunch: Lenders whole wheat bagel (180 cal)
    philadelphia 1/3 less fat onion and chive cream cheese (70 cal)
    campbells select harvest light southwestern style soup (100 cal)

Dinner: Large Fuji apple (105 cal)
    Bolthouse yogurt ranch dressing 3 TBSP (105 cal)
    Classic Romaine lettuce 3 cups (30 cal)
    Campbells selcet harvest light vegetable and pasta soup (120 cal)
    PBJ - walmart crunchy peanut butter 2TBSP (210 cal)
    smuckers sugar free jelly 1TBSP (45 cal)
    healthy life light 100% whole wheat bread 2 slices (70 cal)

I worked out on the elliptical for 13 minutes today (130 cal burned)..I usually do 20 minutes a day (215 cal burned) but I didn't have time this morning.

I still have room today for a banana or 2 (90 cal. each).

I feel like I get alot of food. The key is to find things that are low in calories and filling. Once you find something that works for you, it's alot easier. I felt like I was starving the first week or so because I was choosing the wrong foods. Hope this helps...Good luck!
  • jsignorino3
    Options
    FYI...I've lost 15 pounds since I started on this site.