Cardio in apartments!

Options

Replies

• zCarsAndCaloriesz
    Options
    Thank you for the helpful suggestions, keep them coming I will be sure to look into all of them!!

Haha, I think my jog in the freezing rain go to me today! I will be very happy to have an indoor option :)
  • hongruss
    hongruss Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Although it isn't strictly cardio, I would recommend RushFit, it is a fast paced circuit routine, professional, with great advice & it is well thought out. You only need very light weights & yourself. Taxing, fun & "different" to a lot of workout dvds.

Russ
  • JeanniebeanL79
    JeanniebeanL79 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    HipHop Abs by BeachBody, and KOGA! Love them both!
  • Xx_mandown_scotty_xX
    Options
    y nt purchace a cheap gym mat, that shud cushion ur feet and cancle out most of the jumping noises??
  • zCarsAndCaloriesz
    Options
    y nt purchace a cheap gym mat, that shud cushion ur feet and cancle out most of the jumping noises??

If a DDR dance mat doesn't I'm pretty sure gym or yoga mat wouldn't work seeing as the majority of them are thinner.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say that living in apartments means you have to put up with some stuff. It isn't against the law to do 30-45 minutes of exercise, and unless it is specifically written in your apartment rules, the neighbors really can't do much about it. You could always tell them beforehand and ask when it would be least offensive to them, but I wouldn't even do that. I'm sure you put up with stuff from below, as well. My downstairs neighbors argue loudly and smoke and use a BarBQue three nights a week. Last thing I worry about is doing too much moving around for them.

Live your life.
  • LaurasClimb
    LaurasClimb Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Back on the late 80's or early 90's, Tony Little did some no-impact aerobic videos. If I remember right, there were 3 videos that kind of worked together. My downstairs neighbors never said they heard me.
    I think they are still available on his website, even in DVD format now.
  • braign
    braign Posts: 89
    Options
    I have the same issue! Our floors are super creaky too and we've even had complaints that using the Wii Fit is too noisy - and you can't even jump on that thing!

I've pretty much had to give up on trying to exercise in my apartment until we move somewhere where we can be on the bottom floor :( I miss my apartment in England that had almost a foot of concrete between each floor lol.
  • zCarsAndCaloriesz
    Options
    I just wanted to say that living in apartments means you have to put up with some stuff. It isn't against the law to do 30-45 minutes of exercise, and unless it is specifically written in your apartment rules, the neighbors really can't do much about it. You could always tell them beforehand and ask when it would be least offensive to them, but I wouldn't even do that. I'm sure you put up with stuff from below, as well. My downstairs neighbors argue loudly and smoke and use a BarBQue three nights a week. Last thing I worry about is doing too much moving around for them.

Live your life.

The last thing I want is complaints from either my land lord or my neighbor, I'd rather just find alternatives that don't involve jumping and such. They are pretty respectful of me and are very quiet so I'd like to do the same for them.
  • zCarsAndCaloriesz
    Options
    I have the same issue! Our floors are super creaky too and we've even had complaints that using the Wii Fit is too noisy - and you can't even jump on that thing!

I've pretty much had to give up on trying to exercise in my apartment until we move somewhere where we can be on the bottom floor :( I miss my apartment in England that had almost a foot of concrete between each floor lol.

I live in Montreal and it seems that all apartments have old wood floors!!
    Luckily my living room floor isn't THAT bad, but I'd still like to be careful :p
  • zCarsAndCaloriesz
    Options
    Back on the late 80's or early 90's, Tony Little did some no-impact aerobic videos. If I remember right, there were 3 videos that kind of worked together. My downstairs neighbors never said they heard me.
    I think they are still available on his website, even in DVD format now.

This would actually be very good for my boyfriend, he has problems with his ankles and knees so jogging and things like that are rough on him. I will look into it thank you!!
  • NotThePest
    NotThePest Posts: 164
    Options

If a DDR dance mat doesn't I'm pretty sure gym or yoga mat wouldn't work seeing as the majority of them are thinner.

Try a manduka mat, http://www.manduka.com/us/shop/categories/products/mats/, for jumping in an apartment. It is not cheap but it lessens the impact on your knees and your neighbor's heads. You can find them on Amazon. Depending how committed you are, you may want to look into getting gym interlocking flooring (google it there are lots of companies) for the room you work out in. I live on the fifth floor and I swear by my manduka, yes it is expensive, but it is long lasting and a great product.
  • zCarsAndCaloriesz
    Options

Try a manduka mat, http://www.manduka.com/us/shop/categories/products/mats/, for jumping in an apartment. It is not cheap but it lessens the impact on your knees and your neighbor's heads. You can find them on Amazon. Depending how committed you are, you may want to look into getting gym interlocking flooring (google it there are lots of companies) for the room you work out in. I live on the fifth floor and I swear by my manduka, yes it is expensive, but it is long lasting and a great product.

I'm living on a student minimum wage budget, so yeah if it's expensive it probably isn't an option
  • NotThePest
    NotThePest Posts: 164
    Options

I'm living on a student minimum wage budget, so yeah if it's expensive it probably isn't an option

Try finding a second hand mat. The issue is you need to workout @ home because it is cheaper; however, given options, they are to expensive for you. I'm scratching my head. If you are a student, your school doesn't have a gym or at least an agreement with one? You obviously have a computer so hunt through some exercise you-tube videos and pick up some ideas.
  • zCarsAndCaloriesz
    Options

Try finding a second hand mat. The issue is you need to workout @ home because it is cheaper; however, given options, they are to expensive for you. I'm scratching my head. If you are a student, your school doesn't have a gym or at least an agreement with one? You obviously have a computer so hunt through some exercise you-tube videos and pick up some ideas.

It's trade school for make up artistry lol, there is no gym or gym deal. I have already browsed through youtube but I thought I would ask here for suggestions on what videos other people have been using, I've already downloaded some of those suggestions. And this is my boyfriends computer, mine has been broken for the last 5 months :p
    Thus the life of a student lol.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Try pilates and yoga. There will be no jumping about. I can't do anything with impact because of my feet, and love Bob Harper's workouts. They are tough, but can be done with little impact. I just modify stuff like plyo squats, and it works just fine. The individual videos are 5 bucks each on his website.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I've been doing kettle bell workouts and they are quite quiet - more squatting and swinging than jumping. I use 10 minute solution kettlebell workouts.

Yep - kettlebell is nice and quiet!

And I have a balance ball video that can be done quietly. No jumping, etc....
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    i do jillian michaels workouts in my 2nd floor apartment (because i'm seriously embarrassed to be seen working out and looking thrashed). i usually have to find the non squeaky parts of my floor for the running/jumping parts but it works. i asked my neighbor one time if i disturbed him and he said it just sounded like i was getting some. haha!
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Check out the 100 workout on pinterest
  • ellen_v
    ellen_v Posts: 33
    Options
    Pop Pilates videos on youtube, they are amazing :) She definitely has an older apartment-friendly cardio video as well.