Eat healthy or count calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I think yes. If your eating healthy you can eat so much more for your 1200 calories. If you eat junk your going to be over when lunch is over : ) The junk foods don't have much in the way of nutrition....which is so important.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I think yes. If your eating healthy you can eat so much more for your 1200 calories. If you eat junk your going to be over when lunch is over : ) The junk foods don't have much in the way of nutrition....which is so important.

I agree with this wholeheartedly- if you are on a restricted calorie diet, it is a challenge to get all of the various vitamins, minerals, omega-3's, MCFA's, fiber, antioxidants, phytonutrients, enzymes, etc etc etc - nutrition is SO much more than just macros! So you can eat junk and spend a zillion dollars at GNC, or you can eat nutritious food (with occasional treats!) to get everything you need.
  • spigenerb
    spigenerb Posts: 29
    Options
    So you can eat junk and spend a zillion dollars at GNC, or you can eat nutritious food (with occasional treats!) to get everything you need.

Totally agree. Eating real food is way better than any supplements. I see people trying to get fit and spending tons of money on supplements that really maybe only help 1% if they are even effective at all. The only supplement I take is a protein shake post workout because it gets the protein to your muscles quicker than whole food.
  • awisegirl84
    awisegirl84 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Shyon90
    Shyon90 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    GUYS,this program counts calories,it doesnt count how much u gonna take and how u gonna use!
    1. Lots of people are under calories goal but have their level of fat sugarrs at 200-300% of daily 100% is ok 150% is ok,200 not.
    u have 200-300% of sugar and fat eaten? your body will not put them in ur fat reserve because you are eating less calories,but it will use them as energy for every movement you make,meaning you fat stays.(speaking about sedentary people,if u make 1 hour running bike or whatever this is not a problem) BUT even if u dont have this problem Diabet is just waiting for u,or just the colesterol will deposit just after the exit of ur stomach making the way more narrow,making u digest in 30-180 minutes slower,so your body metabolism get slower and as defence mechanism u put more fat reserves.

2.too many proteins because of mass meat production is always bad coz of hormons and stuff,

3. Your body will not lose fat if u dont have enogh water and oxigen to burn and clean the body.meaning dink everytime ur body asks and make some cardio exercise to increase the income of oxygen,REMEMBER HUMANS WERE MADE TO HUNT THEIR FOOD!

4.not eating enogh carbohydrate can slow down metabolism heavily.

(sorry for my english)

AND TO ALL THOSE POPULATION WITH NO EATING CULTURE:
    Please mcdonald(fast foods) is not a place to eat
    Alcohol was invented to fight infections not to drink,but ok one glass of wine at lunch and ---->1<---- strong 30-50% alcoholic saturday night,but not more,and remember more alcohol u drink more water u need! alcohol reacts with water,u dont drink enogh? Alcohol will take it from your body
    CHANGE YOUR FOOD ALL THE TIME
  • flechero
    flechero Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I do both, as best I can..... because you can be skinny (or fat) and unhealthy, just about as easily as you can be healthy and fit... the main difference is in your head. (by CHOOSING self discipline and will power!)
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I go back and forth between eating healthy foods, and eating not so healthy foods but count calories. Does it make a difference when your trying to loose weight?
    Teaching yourself to seek out and consume fresh, raw, local, seasonal, organic, fruits and veggies is more sustainable than counting your calories every day.

If you eat NOTHING BUT fresh, raw, local, seasonal, organic fruits and veggies, you can eat all you want, never have to log a thing, yet still be healthy, trim, and fit.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Counting calories. Google "twinkie diet " and you'll find out about a nutritionist that lost 27 pounds eating nothing but snack cakes. His vitals improved as well. Now, ot would be hard to gain muscle that way. And you probably increase your risk for some malady down the road. But the answer to your question about weight loss is calories calories calories. If you ate 1500 calories of taco bell per day you would lose weight compared to eating 2500 calories of lean fish and vegetables per day. But we'll have to address your constipation another day.

He ate more than just twinkies- I haven't looked at this in a while but I'm pretty sure he supplemented protein shakes and some form of veg.

You are most definitely correct. He had a protein shake and a multi vitamin daily. You know, so he wouldn't....die. But my point was to say that by no definition of the term would he be considered eating "clean" or "healthy". The man was living off garbage and not only losing weight but improving his vitals.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    How about both?:tongue:
  • Astro_ferret
    Astro_ferret Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

It's about calories in, and calories out. Does he probably feel like crap? Quite possibly. Has he lost a lot of weight? Yes.
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    You can eal alot more of the healthy food for the same calories. But it depends on your reason for being here. To lose weight or to get healthy, or both. It is up to you. MFP just gives you the tools
  • MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    You should really read about the twinky diet:

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

It's a professor in nutrition who gets into this exact same argument with his class, and he decides to prove that the amout of calories is more important for weight loss than where they come from. So he eats a limited amount of calories on twinkies and other 'unhealthy' food and adds a vitamin supplement to his day. And loses 27 pounds. All tested markers for health increase as well.

He's not saying that anyone should replicate his diet, but it strongly points toward calories being more important (at least for weight loss) than the exact food your eating. On the long term there's no knowledge on how healthy a twinky diet is, but one the short term it works.

Conclusion: Feel free to eat unhealthy some of the time while counting calories, but don't forget to eat some nutrients as well part of the time.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    I do both.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Calories are more important than eating healthy where weight loss is concerned. Eating healthy only matters if you want to be healthier and not just thinner. Weight loss is just calories in vs calories out.
  • Living4Liz2012
    Options
    Counting calories

I feel a diet should be fun, and well not feel like a diet. I try and eat healthy, but I find myself falling off track because well I miss my favorite foods. So with counting calories I can eat what I like, and hell have fun with my diet...
  • awisegirl84
    awisegirl84 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Conclusion: Feel free to eat unhealthy some of the time while counting calories, but don't forget to eat some nutrients as well part of the time.