genuine thyroid sufferer seeks straight talking pals

Options
Hi all Mary here,would luv it ifanybody with tips on how to lose weight with under active thyroid or just anybody who wont mince there words if i dont make my goals or miss a day.would add me and support me on my goal to lose weight. over and out, mary.

Replies

• kcragg
    kcragg Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Hi, Welcome to MFP.

I have found this site with lots of information about diets for an under active thyroid. Basically, cut out processed food, eat natural, wholegrains, lean meat and fish and plenty of fruit and vegetables.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/393615-healthy-diet-for-an-underactive-thyroid/

You might consider opening your diary, if you are OK with that.

Good luck:)
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Hi

I have an underactive thyroid too. Due to not doing well on levothyroxine (I was previously on liothyronine and doing very well!) I have regained almost all the weight I lost last year. I struggle with thyroid symptoms still, and know they would be gone if I could go back on liothyronine, but I am stubborn and I keep fighting regardless!

I personally find that not cutting calories too much really helps (1lb a week is a good goal for me) and eating as naturally as possible. Make sure you are getting plenty of protein and enough fats and avoid too much sugar and refined carbs.

You may want to look into taking supplements. If your iron count is low or low-normal you will almost certainly benefit from taking an iron supplement. Also vitamin B12, folic acid and vitamin D are very important. Iron, B12 and folic acid help your body to use the thyroxine effectively which will help with how you feel and your weight loss too.

Exercising little and often can also help. Something short but intense like C25K to get into running, or Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred works well for me, as does walking twice a day for only 30 mins.

If you would like to add me you are very welcome :happy:

If you want more information about thyroid disease you could check out

http://www.thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/index.html

Thyroid UK also have an excellent community website where you post questions or blogs to get support or information

http://thyroiduk.healthunlocked.com/

Carolyn x
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed 3 months ago with hyperthryoidism, currently waiting on blood test results to see if my carbimzole has made me hypo (my GP thinks so).

Feel free to add me as a friend, I love having people on my friends list who can understand how its feels to have thyroid issues and the ups and downs of it.

I'm currently trying to clean up my diet whilst also going vegan, I need to get my energy levels back! :smile:

:flowerforyou:
  • BarbraP44
    BarbraP44 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi all Mary here,would luv it ifanybody with tips on how to lose weight with under active thyroid or just anybody who wont mince there words if i dont make my goals or miss a day.would add me and support me on my goal to lose weight. over and out, mary.

I like that "mince their words." What is motivating if we don't scold somewhat? I make bad food choices and would not mind if a friend says.. no no no, lay the guilt on.

I have had one side of thyroid removed (they saved the other side for later, you know repeat business lol) Feel free to add me.
  • LL108
    LL108 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm a thyroid cancer pt. and am on Levoxyl. They have to give me more than I need to keep the cancer away and I don't know if it's my age 43 or what but my Dr dropped dose I got all puffy mixed with a broken foot (months ago) and my metabolism seemed like it stopped...an my bloodwork was hypo, yea it's a nightmare...i don't know if anyone else has this prob. My meds are fine and not losing weight like I used to...hormones are a problem
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I have had hypothyroid for most of my adult life. I have my goal set to one pound per week, the slower I go the better! Counting calories is the only way I can lose weight!! And I measure everything that goes into my mouth. I drink lots of water and little processed foods.
  • DarJackson
    Options
    Hi Mary,

I have struggled with an under active thyroid most of my life. I started taking levothyroxin about a year ago...and quickly gained back the 20 pounds I had lost. I am very frustrated at this point. :ohwell:

My Doctor suggested this site to assist me with my weight loss goals.

:smile:
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Hi Mary! I wasn't diagnosed with hypothyroid until my late 40's. For years, my tsh numbers kept creeping up. For me to lose weight, I have to exercise. Otherwise, I'm stuck! Also, the advice about cutting out processed food is spot on. It really does help to eliminate processed foods and simple carbs if you can. Eating lots of fruits and veggies works well too!

I wish you the best of luck with your weight loss journey. Losing weight while being hypothyriod is tough but it can be done! Feel free to send me a friend request if you'd like!:flowerforyou:
  • TheOriginalGinging
    Options
    Hi Mary and welcome. I don't have much to offer in advice as I'm just getting started myself--7 pounds off so far! I can offer support and encouragement! Feel free to add me!
  • lesle1
    lesle1 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Exercise. It's hard to push yourself in the beginning but it gets easier.
  • SingeSange
    SingeSange Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Wow! I had no idea there were so many people out there experiencing the same weight loss challenges as me because of thyroid problems! My doctor makes me feel like a whiny baby when I say I'm having problems with weight loss and just tells me I'm overweight and need to get my weight down. Like, duh, do you think I can't tell that on my own? I went to a personal trainer for a year and gained weight because of muscle. Frustrated 2 trainers because I wasn't losing any weight on their programs. A foot injury has now made it very difficult for me to even walk and since that injury, in September, I've gained 10lbs. No help from the doctor at all, just scolding and telling me if I would lose weight my foot injury wouldn't bug me as much. I keep telling him my hypothyroid makes it hard for me because my metabolism is messed up. Shouldn't he know this? He's a doctor! Anyway, now I'm on here to keep track and prove to him that I'm eating well (yay food diary!) and the weight is not coming off. Good luck to all of us with this extra challenge in our way!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Avoid soy at all costs!!!

:sad: :grumble:
    I'm just coming to terms with cutting soy. I've been a vegetarian for 19 years, and soy was a staple for me- and because of my thyroid issues I've started limiting it in the past few months...but I'm very sad about it!

I agree with all the advice that's been given here...we thyroid sufferers have to work out harder and be stricter with our diets for less impressive results than the average person. It sucks, but I guess as long as I know this is my path, I can deal with it. I'm always open to having more thyroid buddies to commiserate with....ahem, I mean support....Feel free to add me!
  • cycleholic
    cycleholic Posts: 119 Member
    Options

Why? I'm also vegetarian and wondering...
    Thanks!
  • MoreBean13
    Options

Why? I'm also vegetarian and wondering...
    Thanks!

There's evidence that soy isoflavones can negatively effect thyroid function. It's particularly true if there's any chance you're not getting enough iodine (which obviously is exceptionally risky for dieters avoiding salt!). I don't think there's enough conclusive evidence to say to avoid soy completely, but there's enough that have convinced me it would be worth limiting soy. Supposedly in its natural form (edamame) or fermented forms (miso or tempeh) it's less likely to affect your thyroid, so I've pretty much eliminated tofu and use tempeh instead....but there's no way I'm going to completely swear off veggie burgers or veggie hot dogs without more convincing evidence- they're just too damn convenient! But there's also quorn brand products you can substitute, which use egg protein instead of soy.
  • CharisSunny
    CharisSunny Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Low thyroid with tact issues over here :)
    Add if u wanna.
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and after 3 years my TSH and medication level are stable. Of course I have to take my meds at 3am so it can't interfere with anything I eat. I currently am trying to gain weight, but have successfully lost weight (just too low now) with the hypothroidism. Also, I eat veg burgers and cliff bars, both which have soy and have had no problems. So don't be too picky with that. I also don't count my sodium anymore bc my doc says its better for me to get a little more :)
  • taralh86
    taralh86 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi.. I struggle with an underactive thyroid also but it's 'not bad enough' to be put on prescription meds. I've taken a herbal supplement which I didn't find helped at all. Just started on another called T-3 so fingers crossed that makes some difference. Happy to add you, or you add me...Good to have support from people with similar issues.. This time last year I was getting close to my goal weight then became a LITTLE less active over winter...Developed underactive thyroid around the same time and by August I had gained almost 15kgs. I have gotten a few kgs off here and there but it's so hard and just little treats can cause a weight gain. I need to watch every calorie just to maintain my current overweight weight.
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and after 3 years my TSH and medication level are stable. Of course I have to take my meds at 3am so it can't interfere with anything I eat. I currently am trying to gain weight, but have successfully lost weight (just too low now) with the hypothroidism. Also, I eat veg burgers and cliff bars, both which have soy and have had no problems. So don't be too picky with that. I also don't count my sodium anymore bc my doc says its better for me to get a little more :)

I also wake up in the night to take mine! I didn't know anyone else did that! :happy:
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I also wake up around 2:00 or 3:00 to take my thyroid meds!:flowerforyou: