Cardio in apartments!

Options

Replies

• rosesedge
    rosesedge Posts: 36
    Options
    I second the PopPilates. It's really fun, and definitely a work out - more than MFP designates Pilates as easily! She has a website called blogilates as well as a youtube channel.
  • jlbay
    jlbay Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Old school step aerobic videos - try The Firm or similar. Step aerobics will get your heart rate up, requires little space, and doesn't require jumping.
  • puckers82
    puckers82 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I live in a flat, they are that bad for noise you can hear people talking so any form of jumping about is out but saying that i have done the 30 day shred and now on to ripped in 30. All i do is when there are jumping jacks or other things required to bang about is change it to a jump rope but the balls of my feet don't leave the floor or something else just don't stop moving, still works you out, ok not to the full standard but what else can you do!!
  • zCarsAndCaloriesz
    Options
    I live in a flat, they are that bad for noise you can hear people talking so any form of jumping about is out but saying that i have done the 30 day shred and now on to ripped in 30. All i do is when there are jumping jacks or other things required to bang about is change it to a jump rope but the balls of my feet don't leave the floor or something else just don't stop moving, still works you out, ok not to the full standard but what else can you do!!

Yes that is probably what I will have to do!
    I've already downloaded the 30 day shred and plan on starting next week. I'll see if this works! :)
  • lynnmarie60
    lynnmarie60 Posts: 325
    Options
    go up and down on your stairs in the apartment building. Use Julianna Michaels DVD's or get the Wii DVDS (zumba and dance party 2 & 3 are good).
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,683 Member
    Options
    If your neighbors are miffed by 1 hour a day of exercise noise, then you need to move.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    i suggest yoga!! no jumping involved... i think lol
  • mightyminerva
    mightyminerva Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I do Tae Bo videos on YouTube and DDPYoga. Both need a limited amount of space (roughly 5 x 2 feet, max), and both are mostly small, stationary movements. The DDPYoga DVDs are a bit expensive, but it counts as my strength training, too.

I would go through several YouTube videos until you can find something that you like and that is doable. I believe I've seen a few dorm room cardio workouts--definitely designed for small spaces!
  • has001
    has001 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I also live in an upstairs apartment- I do Zumba on the Wii and I DVR some fitness shows on TV. Hope you find something helpful!
  • jlohcook
    jlohcook Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I do most of my workout in my apt. If you have iPhone or iPad - try Nike Training Club - lots of circuit training, 30-45 mins, all to be done indoors. Another application - Gains - provide strength training, just need dumbbells.
  • momo2011Tuck
    momo2011Tuck Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    its not really cardio, but it is an easy video that u can find on youtube, I do it in my second floor apartment and never have issues. But its the butt bible. They have it for the upper half and the lower half of you. i work up a sweat and it defiantly hurts really good lol
  • BobsLittleBird
    BobsLittleBird Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Giaim cardio burn yoga, got it at target. When I lived in an upper apartment I did this one a lot.

You could try talking to the people that live below you. They will probably appreciate that you are trying to respect their environment and probably won't care about 30 min of jumping around if it's quite the rest of the time.
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options

Yes that is probably what I will have to do!
    I've already downloaded the 30 day shred and plan on starting next week. I'll see if this works! :)

I like this ^^^ and I recommend talking to your neighbors and ask them if there is a good time for you to do some exercises without disturbing them. The worst that happens is they say np time is good (where you are at the moment) the best is they are nice and say sure any morning after 8 (or whatever)
  • puckers82
    puckers82 Posts: 200 Member
    Options

I just wanted to say while doing the above as of today i have lost a total of 12lbs since 1st may. It can be done!!
  • TRISTAR
    TRISTAR Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I don't live in an apartment, but I'd probably use the Wii Fit. I love it.
  • amc119
    amc119 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I live in a 2nd floor apartment as well. Plus we both work different versions of night shift. I recently purchased this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002OTG2FM/ref=ox_ya_os_product. While no one complained about my daily 20 min of 30 day shred, I have another 14 months here so I'm trying not to anger anyone. Don't know what it sounds like below me, but it seems like the floor is shaking less, and my knees and ankles appreciate the support.
  • dianamora35
    Options
    http://www.fitnessblender.com/v/workout-detail/Quiet-Cardio-Workout-Low-Impact-Apartment-Cardio-Workout/dm/

this works great! i am on the top 3rd floor of a very loud and movement sensitive building and this workout is perfect
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Find a stationary bike at a yard sale or thrift store. They are quiet and can be pushed into a corner when not in use.
  • csontos
    csontos Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I don't feel like reading through all of the replies to see if this was suggested, but is it possible for you to go talk to your downstairs neighbor and tell them that you would like to do, say 30 minutes of exercise a day and asked them if they have a preferred time for you to exercise? That way it shows them that you are trying to be considerate :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    did I miss the "go outside and run" comment?