I wanna be a better vegetarian ...

Options
Cmandy67
Cmandy67 Posts: 108 Member
I want to be a better vegetarian but I only have like two recipes that I use: Stir fry with Tofu and Curried coconut chickpea and veggies. That's it!

I need more resources and some staple food to work with. Any one got a good recipe for lentils?

And I need to stay on a good diet, can anyone help?!

Replies

• sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Here is a delicious recipe for megadarra from Cooking light. Lentils and carmelized onions; mmmmmmmmmm.

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/megadarra-brown-lentils-rice-with-caramelized-onions-10000000226714/

Also here is another great recipe I love, Chickpea and Spinach Curry, also from cooking light:

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/chickpea-spinach-curry-10000000354461/

Both these recipes are quick, easy and delicious.

blessings.
  • redcat17
    redcat17 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Here is a whole page of lentil recipes:

http://www.theppk.com/tag/lentils/
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options

The PPK has amazing recipes!
  • redcat17
    redcat17 Posts: 267 Member
    Options

Yes it does! The cook books aren't too shabby either.
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options

Yes it does! The cook books aren't too shabby either.

I recently invested in Veganomicon and Appetite for Reduction. I've been trying test a new recipe every day. LOVE them so far! I also really enjoy her writing style. It makes them fun to read too.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Most of my vegetarian meals are soups or stews. I find that it's easier for me to improvise with what I have on hand. I always keep canned beans, and Trader Joe's steamed lentils on hand for the days I need to throw something together quickly. I also keep broth and canned tomato sauce in the pantry, and miso in the fridge.

An improvised recipe might go like this:

1 cup vegetable broth
    1/2 cup tomato sauce (or miso)
    1/2 cup beans or lentils

Then a few of the following: yellow onion, celery, carrots, frozen peas, frozen corn, zucchini, red pepper, spinach, brown rice, mushrooms, green onion, olives, raw cashews, left overs maybe...

Add 1 - 2 of your favorite herbs or flavorings: rosemary, oregano, parsley, basil, thyme, ginger, turmeric, cayenne, etc.

If you're careful not to mix ethnic flavors, you really can't make a mistake - I promise!
    You may not want to put rosemary with miso, ginger and soy sauce...just use good judgment.
    My best meals have been improvised, but I don't have the confidence to cook this way for company.
    Good luck, and happy cooking.
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I hate cooking from recipes and tend to just throw things together. I also eat a lot of salads and sandwich type items (avocados on toast, etc. ). The recipes on PPK do look great, but I don't think I've ever used one. I also like Vegan Heartland, and Chocolate Covered Katie (both are vegan recipe blogs).
  • hcoburn37
    hcoburn37 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    my 14 year old son is a vegetarian ... I am bumping this to reread later...thanks for the info
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    check out:

www.ohsheglows.com

www.peasandthankyou.com

they are vegan but if you want dairy you can use it.
  • LaPatrizia
    LaPatrizia Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Susan at the fatfreevegan.com blog has some great recipes. I also second getting your hands on Isa's Appetite for Reduction. The recipes are easy, tasty, healthy, and they include all nutritional info which is a big plus.
  • smile02me
    smile02me Posts: 3
    Options
    My company has a meal replacement/protien shake that is vegetarian. It is good as long as you do not mix it with milk, my family is not vegetarian but I thought my husband would like it because it is strawberry. Just another idea.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    My girlfriend cooks lentils sometimes in the rice cooker, if just as a side, and it comes out great, for being so incredibly simple.

If you have Netflix, check out "Rip Esselstyn's Engine 2 Diet" Rip shows off a bunch of good recipes, including a great lasagna. The movie is worth your time just for the lasagna recipe.
  • poseyj88
    poseyj88 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
  • TinnedTuna
    TinnedTuna Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Bumping this

I want to be vegetarian and I'm slowly becoming one but i still eat a very small amount of organic chicken,
    i'm about 98% vegetarian, but with these recipes and ideas i might make it 100% soon
  • Ristia_Amore
    Ristia_Amore Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Knowing how to make a basic pilaf with multiple kinds of grains has saved me as a vegetarian! They're so easy to make and super easy to change up while staying low calorie! (:

But since it's summer, here's a good page on grilling as a vegetarian! http://www.vegetariantimes.com/article/20-ways-to-grill-fruits-amp-veggies/

Sign up to Vegetarian Times email newsletter and you'll get a delicious recipe in your mail box every few days! (:
  • Sharmender
    Sharmender Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Just replace the meat with tofu in meals you used to love...
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Just replace the meat with tofu in meals you used to love...

Not just tofu!

They also have amazing selections /w brands such as Quorn, Boca, Morningstar, and others. They can subsitute anything you can think of. This week I have some meatless sausage, chicken strips, and crumbles to replace ground chuck. These all go right into meals that are meant for meat but are still vegetarian friendly!
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I tried lentils in the rice cooker once and they foamed all over the floor. Maybe because they were split red lentils instead of whole lentils. Or maybe I did too many, not accounting for the foaming.
    My girlfriend cooks lentils sometimes in the rice cooker, if just as a side, and it comes out great, for being so incredibly simple.

If you have Netflix, check out "Rip Esselstyn's Engine 2 Diet" Rip shows off a bunch of good recipes, including a great lasagna. The movie is worth your time just for the lasagna recipe.
  • LWeiler82
    LWeiler82 Posts: 40
    Options
    bumping for all the great ideas and websites :)
  • trudefaith
    trudefaith Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    www.vegweb.com has some good recipes but you have to watch the cals - some of the recipes there are great and good for you - while others are just fat fests