Made these for 4yr old's birthday treats for daycare...

Options

Replies

• svetz
    svetz Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Did any of you go to Kindergarten?

I'm asking because that is where I learned "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."

^^^ this!

Awesome that you took the time to make something homemade. Children really do remember that stuff. You are obviously a great, caring parent! I think Paleo took it out of context and perhaps over-reacted. The suggestion to promote healthy choices is a great one, but for another occasion. A small child's birthday is not the time to show up with orange slices and diced fruit. There is a definate social aspect of sharing birthday treats that can be physicologically damaging for young children that don't understand more than- it's treat day! Kids want to fit in with their friends and be kids. A birthday treat every so often won't ruin the child, but being a outcast on their birthday might! Balance is key for everyone, at any age! Happy birthday to your little one!
  • tjk71
    tjk71 Posts: 167
    Options
    I'm totally going to make these for my 4 yr. olds birthday! Thanks for the idea!!!! They look awesome. Don't listen to the negative apparently they must need a treat themselves :)
  • radosti1
    radosti1 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I grew up in Ukraine and came to the US when I was 13. In Ukraine, everything is homemade by necessity. I went insane for cheeseburgers and fries here. Took me a while to get them out of my system. A good friend of mine grew up in a super-religious household with no booze allowed. I have never seen someone drink so much booze and still be functional. My parents tried to get me to "learn to drink" in my late teenage years and I barely touch the stuff to this day. So, I am all about moderation for everything.

We have a garden and we just came in from picking/eating strawberries. They LOVE to grow their own stuff. They even ate raw asparagus this year when it came up. They were so excited about it.

But yeah, it's a birthday and I wanted to avoid cupcakes. Store bought ones are yucky and I am not crafty enough to decorate homemade ones. I am totally not into sprinkles either. But the 4 year old requested them, so I got them. He said they make the pretzels look like a happy party.
  • macx2mommy
    macx2mommy Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Those are great and fun for a birthday. Plus they are portion controlled and not very messy. I hate messy icing for little kids. Hey for some reason always think to tug on my shirt or pants for a napkin.

I love doing little treats for my events too for the kids.

Also, as a child m parents put severe food restrictions on me. As a result, I snuck them every chance I got, and had many food issues, especially in binging on unallowable food. So don't worry about it, if this is an occasional thing
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I think that's a great treat for a birthday! It's sweet/salty/yummy and its not as bad as a cupcake or cookies (plus it;s less messy!). Kids deserve a good treat on their bday!

Ooh! just to share, another yummy treat. My mom made cookie pizza for a cook-out once, I loved it so much that I decided to have it in place of a cake for my bday that year. You get the philsbury sugar cookie dough (or make your own) and roll it out on a baking sheet and bake it. When it's cooled you put a thin layer of cream cheese frosting over the whole thing (I'm sure yogurt would work just as well) and then you put whatever fruits you want on top. When I had it for my bday I was 10 I think. My mom did mini pizzas so everyone could have their own and she put out a ton of different fruits so we could pick our toppings. yummmm!
  • Minnie92x
    Minnie92x Posts: 107
    Options
    Can I ask why? You are feeding them nothing but crap, white flour, sugar and more sugar.

SMH - Sorry, but this irritates me to no end.

Why not a huge fruit salad or something that has some actual nutrition for small growing bodies and developing bones and brains?????

I'm so glad i'm not your child! Birthdays are fun days.
  • macx2mommy
    macx2mommy Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    [ I am totally not into sprinkles either. But the 4 year old requested them, so I got them. He said they make the pretzels look like a happy party.
    [/quote]

This is what it is about for a birthday. The child asked for something that is perfectly reasonable, and the mom is able to make him happy. We should be cherishing the days where sprinkles can make one happy. These days will be gone too, and then what?
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Aw!! They look great! That was really nice of you to make those! I'm really anal about what my kids eat generally (most of my friends and family say too anal!), but birthday parties are special, this helps them learn moderation, I hope... I think they look delicious and the look on the kids' faces will make it all worth it...
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Looks yummy and pretty! Nice to have a fun treat every now and then.
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    And BTW--I'm totally stealing that idea! My kids would love to help make them too...
  • deniseearheart
    deniseearheart Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    YUM YUM YUM YUM YUM YUMMMMMM I want one :-D
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Paleo, why are you being such a party pooper? OP, they look like a fun treat.
  • kissedbytheocean
    kissedbytheocean Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    oh my god! i dont normally comment when something pisses me off but seriously?! its this kids birthday they're allowed a little something nice. and as a previous poster said - all the kids i know who had super pushey, innocent, health freak strict parents have all ended up going crazy on what they were deprived as soon as they were given the opportunity. if you make a huge deal out of treats they;'re just going to want them more. enough said.

This. ^^^

I actually saw a show where the parents of these kids were very militant, never allowing them any sweets or chips. Hell, most of their meals were boring salads, plain oatmeal, etc. The show brought in a nutritionist, who sat down with the parents and told them that if they deprive them entirely of "treats" when they're kids, they'll possibly end up developing eating disorders when they're older.

It's called moderation, it's called having a birthday treat ever now and again. Jeez, the comments in this thread. I swear.
  • deniseearheart
    deniseearheart Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Why are people so damn rude! Make TOM leave if that's your problem. Birthday's only come around once a year! I hope that kid has an awesome time. Oh and those look amazing and definitly creative.

PEOPLE ARE JUST HATING CAUSE THEY CAN'T HAVE ONE… LMFAO

HELLLLL yeah that is exactly why LOL they look dam good
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    If you don't get to eat stuff like this every once in a while as a kid, when do you get to eat it?

I'm guessing When they are old enough to go buy it themselves and then gorge themselves on junk because they never got to have any treats as kids.....

They look yummy, by the way, I'm sure the kiddies will love them :-)

Exactly! There's a new study that showed that kids who ate sweets and junk food in moderation were less likely to be overweight or obese as adults than those who were never allowed sweets or junk food. Never allowing something makes it taboo, which makes people likely to do it. In the case of food, it makes them more likely to overindulge.

My kids get treats, but they also love vegetables and fruits. They naturally have an understanding of moderation and generally will go back to eating healthy foods after they have half of a cupcake at a party.

So true for me and my daughter. I wasn't allowed treat and I have food problems. I gave my kid treats, because I was told by a woman wiser than me if you have it around the kids don't crave it. So I had goodies around and my daughter is at ideal weight and has no food issues. She can easily say no thanks to goodies.
    edit to add My daughter is 27 years old
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    Seriously, you people will argue over ANYTHING.

It disgusts me.

Hope your little one enjoys their birthday!
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    Wow, those look like fun. You're a great mom! Hope you little one has a great birthday celebration at school.
  • delonda1
    delonda1 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Chocolate covered pretzels! YUMMM They actually arent that unhealthy of a treat...better than a lot of other things you could give them

Also for all of you criticizing it is better to allow a child to have sweets every now and then rather than deprive them because when they are finally exposed they wont be able to control... It has been shown in studies that children who are allowed sweets once a week or so grow up more likely not to be obese rather than someone allowed everyday and someone who didnt eat them until they were older
  • Sarahgrace0228
    Sarahgrace0228 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    These look better then some of the things they have at birthday parties. Gives me a fourth of July idea. Strawberries are delicious as well. They are almost like candy for me.
  • Sarahgrace0228
    Sarahgrace0228 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Good point Delonda, I think that is how my fiance is. He ate healthier when he was younger and now that he is older it is harder for him not to eat the fattier foods.