Hey Fat Girl!

Options
For the most part, runners are a community of people who are extremely supportive of one another. I think we have all experienced that feeling of pushing ourselves to the absolute limit and so we highly respect other people when we see them doing the same thing. No matter their size, age or abilities. I guess the difference is when you are the "fat girl" and have just started your journey, you don't understand how hard running is...for everyone. It is ALWAYS hard! Not just for the "fat girl" but for anyone who is really striving to improve. This is not my writing. It's an excerpt from a friend's blog, but I find it extremely motivational and thought maybe a lot of others would, too. I had a huge lump in my throat and tears in my eyes as I read it, because I remember very, very well the mixed bag of emotions (pride, humiliation, joy, sadness, despair, hope, etc.) that I felt in every single session of my first round of couch to 5k. So, read this and know that I am not calling anybody out or making fun of anyone. I WAS the fat girl!

Hey Fat Girl ...

Yes, you. The one feigning to not see me when we cross paths on the running track. The one not even wearing sports gear, breathing heavy. You’re slow, you breathe hard and your efforts at moving forward make you cringe.

You cling shyly to the furthest corridor, sometimes making larger loops on the gravel ring by the track just so you’re not on it. You sweat so much that your hair is all wet. You rarely stay for more than 20 minutes at a time, and you look exhausted when you leave to go back home. You never talk to anyone. I’ve got something I’d like to say to you.

You are awesome!!

If you’d look me in the eye only for an instant, you would notice the reverence and respect I have for you. The adventure you have started is tremendous; it leads to a better health, to renewed confidence and to a brand new kind of freedom. The gifts you will receive from running will far exceed the gigantic effort it takes you to show up here, to face your fears and to bravely set yourself in motion, in front of others.

You have already begun your transformation. You no longer accept this physical state of numbness and passivity. You have taken a difficult decision, but one that holds so much promise. Every hard breath you take is actually a tad easier than the one before, and every step is ever so slightly lighter. Each push forward leaves the former person you were in your wake, creating room for an improved version, one that is stronger, healthier and forward-looking, one who knows that anything is possible.

You’re a hero to me. And, if you’d take off the blaring headphones and put your head up for more than a second or two, you would notice that the other runners you cross, the ones that probably make you feel so inadequate, stare in awe at your determination. They, of all people, know best where you are coming from. They heard the resolutions of so many others, who vowed to pick up running and improve their health, “starting next week”. Yet, it is YOU who runs alongside, who digs from deep inside to find the strength to come here, and to come back again.

You are a runner, and no one can take that away from you. You are relentlessly moving forward. You are stronger than even you think, and you are about to be amazed by what you can do. One day, very soon, maybe tomorrow, you’ll step outside and marvel at your capabilities. You will not believe your own body, you will realize that you can do this. And a new horizon will open up for you. You are a true inspiration.

I bow to you.

Replies

• jjelizalde
    jjelizalde Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    That was fabulous and well written!
  • JeffGDDG
    JeffGDDG Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I too bow to all the people out there giving it their best. I'm right there with you. Like they say, If you do a mile in 7 minutes or 20 minutes, its still a mile. I'm proud to cheer for all of you!
  • hisgirl32
    hisgirl32 Posts: 2
    Options
    Needed that :)
  • Mlmr310
    Mlmr310 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Love it!!!
  • Xx_mandown_scotty_xX
    Options
    thats an amazin story by the way
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    =]
  • newata
    newata Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    =)<3
  • CharisSunny
    CharisSunny Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    For the most part, runners are a community of people who are extremely supportive of one another. I think we have all experienced that feeling of pushing ourselves to the absolute limit and so we highly respect other people when we see them doing the same thing. No matter their size, age or abilities. I guess the difference is when you are the "fat girl" and have just started your journey, you don't understand how hard running is...for everyone. It is ALWAYS hard! Not just for the "fat girl" but for anyone who is really striving to improve. This is not my writing. It's an excerpt from a friend's blog, but I find it extremely motivational and thought maybe a lot of others would, too. I had a huge lump in my throat and tears in my eyes as I read it, because I remember very, very well the mixed bag of emotions (pride, humiliation, joy, sadness, despair, hope, etc.) that I felt in every single session of my first round of couch to 5k. So, read this and know that I am not calling anybody out or making fun of anyone. I WAS the fat girl!

Hey Fat Girl ...

Yes, you. The one feigning to not see me when we cross paths on the running track. The one not even wearing sports gear, breathing heavy. You’re slow, you breathe hard and your efforts at moving forward make you cringe.

You cling shyly to the furthest corridor, sometimes making larger loops on the gravel ring by the track just so you’re not on it. You sweat so much that your hair is all wet. You rarely stay for more than 20 minutes at a time, and you look exhausted when you leave to go back home. You never talk to anyone. I’ve got something I’d like to say to you.

You are awesome!!

If you’d look me in the eye only for an instant, you would notice the reverence and respect I have for you. The adventure you have started is tremendous; it leads to a better health, to renewed confidence and to a brand new kind of freedom. The gifts you will receive from running will far exceed the gigantic effort it takes you to show up here, to face your fears and to bravely set yourself in motion, in front of others.

You have already begun your transformation. You no longer accept this physical state of numbness and passivity. You have taken a difficult decision, but one that holds so much promise. Every hard breath you take is actually a tad easier than the one before, and every step is ever so slightly lighter. Each push forward leaves the former person you were in your wake, creating room for an improved version, one that is stronger, healthier and forward-looking, one who knows that anything is possible.

You’re a hero to me. And, if you’d take off the blaring headphones and put your head up for more than a second or two, you would notice that the other runners you cross, the ones that probably make you feel so inadequate, stare in awe at your determination. They, of all people, know best where you are coming from. They heard the resolutions of so many others, who vowed to pick up running and improve their health, “starting next week”. Yet, it is YOU who runs alongside, who digs from deep inside to find the strength to come here, and to come back again.

You are a runner, and no one can take that away from you. You are relentlessly moving forward. You are stronger than even you think, and you are about to be amazed by what you can do. One day, very soon, maybe tomorrow, you’ll step outside and marvel at your capabilities. You will not believe your own body, you will realize that you can do this. And a new horizon will open up for you. You are a true inspiration.

I bow to you.

****ing fantastic!
    That's all i can say.
    I hope I remember this.

-Char the Fat Girl...with the 70min 5K walk.
  • Letty_c
    Letty_c Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Love it!!!! Q
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    .....come here are ya ticklish?
  • giggles2giggle
    giggles2giggle Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    love it!!!
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    That's beautiful!
  • vade43113
    vade43113 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Mile an hour... but that is walking though... lol... you guys are heroes to the heroless, you give strength to those who are watching you... and those who shout out, they do so because they don't have the courage to try to do what your doing. Keep up the great work :)
  • optimumchill
    Options
    Good read...very true and works both ways..title could have easily read..."Hey Fat Boy".
  • hummingbirdxss
    hummingbirdxss Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I don't run....., yet...... from from the "fat girl" walking the track..... Thank you. You will never know how much I appreciate this. :heart:
  • Monica_in_MO
    Monica_in_MO Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Good read...very true and works both ways..title could have easily read..."Hey Fat Boy".

I thought the same thing!
  • Monica_in_MO
    Monica_in_MO Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I don't run....., yet...... from from the "fat girl" walking the track..... Thank you. You will never know how much I appreciate this. :heart:

You keep at it!! You can do so much more than you ever thought possible. When you feel your worst, read this again. I'm telling you from experience, it pays to keep moving towards your goal one step at a time. : )
  • BookofJenny
    BookofJenny Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    This is amazing:)
  • honey_dew
    honey_dew Posts: 28
    Options
    This is great. :)
  • sabrinamunin
    Options
    That's awesome, and very well written. I'm not up to running yet, but I hope I remember this when I get there.