Who's Had Success Eating Back Exercise Calories?

Options
I've been working out a lot harder this week than I have in the last 2 months combined. I've been hungrier lately, but looking back over my diary, I'm not eating back all my exercise calories. Of course I'm nervous to, but I'd like to. Can I hear from some people that have had success consistently eating back their exercise calories?

Replies

• jjelizalde
    jjelizalde Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I usually burn 300-400 and I eat back most of them. I am steadily losing at least a pound a week.
  • neurogirl
    neurogirl Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I work out at least 3 days a week and eat back most or all of my exerciese calories (usually unless it's like my intense 1800 calorie workout from a few weeks ago). I make sure I always net at least 1300 calories when it's all said and done. I have been losing about a pound to a pound and a half a week steadily. Always ate back my exercise calories when I first joined MFP 3 years ago and lost 30 pounds without a hitch. Back to lose the rest now... Good luck!
  • Anyaaaa11
    Anyaaaa11 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Definitely me!! I burn 100-300 cals and I eat them all back, everytime and I also lose around a pound a week!
    I am so thankful to be able to net 1550 and still lose weight!
  • My_Own_Hero
    Options
    Hi. I've only been here for ~2 weeks, but I lost 3 pounds in less than 14 days, and I eat back my exercise calories. I guess I can call that success (so far).
  • NK203
    NK203 Posts: 35
    Options
    I each back all or nearly my exercise calories. I cannot get by on 1300 cals a day, and getting to eat back the cals is incentive to exercise. I started 1/3/12, and I am still losing at least a lb. per week. So, it is working for me. Good luck!
  • hsaab
    hsaab Posts: 36
    Options
    Make sure you do eat them back its a benefit, it actually helps w the wieght loss process. You're body needs that extra energy if your working out, just think of it as kind of a bonus, you work out u get to eat it back plus you'll still loose weight! By not eating back those calories you're hurting your metabolism so make sure you reach the recommended cals. Good Luck!
  • lyfurlong
    lyfurlong Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I eat back at least half if not all of mine depending how hungry I am. I am set at a 1200 calorie by MFP and I NEVER eat below that. Always above it. I have lost every week. I have also allowed for one "cheat meal" per week which has not hindered my weight loss.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I workout 6 days a week and have always tried to eat 100 % of my exercise calories back.
  • chantels1
    chantels1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    My calorie goal is 1420 plus exercise calories. I try to eat most or all of them back, but most days I am 100-200 short. The calories I have been eating ends up around 1600 a day. So far I have been losing about 1 lb per week. My MFP settings is for 1/2 a pound a week, but I am not changing anything because this is working well for me!
  • miss_rye_
    miss_rye_ Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I always would eat back my calories. Your body needs calories to function. If you burn too many and not eat enough, your body will not lose as quickly and if it does, you will most likely gain it back.
  • desert_rhino
    desert_rhino Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I eat back at least half, on average. But then again, my numbers bounce around a lot daily. I have to do weekly summaries to average out my exercise and hunger variations. I've consistently lost an average of over 3 pounds a week for the last two months. I also increased my overall calories a couple of weeks ago. Still losing.
  • MrsRawwwr
    MrsRawwwr Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I eat back all of mine. A heart rate monitor gives you a better estimate than this website of calories burned.
  • grimm1974
    grimm1974 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I try to at least eat back enough calories to net at least 100-200 calories above my BMR.
  • trybabytry
    trybabytry Posts: 181
    Options
    I found that when I ate back exercise calories I wasn't really losing the way I'd like to, so I stopped, and now I'm losing much faster (~a pound a week, as a opposed to less than half a pound a week when I was eating back my calories). But I don't have that much weight to lose, so maybe that's why.
  • cspence2270
    cspence2270 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Me too.... I lost 40 lbs about 6 months ago and have been at a stand still for the last 6 months. I raised my calorie limit from loosing 2 lbs a week to 1 lb a week and then started to do what I call a warm up run on rny strength training days and increased my runs on aerobic days to at least 3 miles, my warm up run is 1-1.5 miles depending on what time i get up but it's at least 1 mile. And I try to eat back everyone of those calories- well I don't have to try very hard. I just have to eat them back or I'm hungry. I was amazed that as soon as I started to take in more calories the weight started to come off again-- talk about a bonus-- I get to eat and still take off 1 to 1.5 lbs a week. My body seems to need those calories to keep my metabolism up.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I always ate most of mine back. Very happy with the results. :smile:

The best part? Now that I'm maintaining, I can eat a pretty amazing amount of food.
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I eat all mine.
  • ericcumbee
    ericcumbee Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    if i am hungry i eat, if not i dont.

sometimes i eat some of my calories back, sometimes i eat all of them back, and sometimes i eat none of them back.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I lost 12lbs last summer eating them back.
  • daisyhougan
    Options
    You know? I've tried not eating back my exercise calories at all and have found myself cranky, lethargic and on a plateau. (Actually, my mom always called it a "fateau" so I'm using it.) When I eat back most of my exercise calories, I see a drop in weight literally the next day so now I usually do. Plus as some people have said, it's an incentive to exercise. Otherwise I might not as much.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!