Missing since 2010 - Metabolism - Last seen wearing size 8

Options
SOS..and hello! It is June 3rd 2012 and I weigh the most I ever have..
I wore an 8 since around 15 years old - to a year and a half ago.
(Due to being chained to a desk working on a laptop for sometimes over 16 hours a day..and drinking too many micro brews!)

Over the course of a year, I gained 30 pounds!

At first, I liked the way the extra weight looked in my clothes. (I always thought Renee Z looked better as Bridget Jones)
But now, most of my wardrobe does not fit anymore!
For awhile there I split into what I had because I told myself I would not be this weight for long.
But, pretty soon bought a pair of size 10 jeans, the next size up, for lack of anything, literally, to wear.
Recently now, bought 1 pair of capris that are size 13...And cut the tag because I dont want my husband to see :( I had been very defensive with him at first but now I have accepted that I dont want to gain anymore and admit that I need to lose some.
My goal is to not have to buy anymore new clothes and fit back into a size 8, comfortably.

Here is what I have done in the last 6 months (for New Years Resolution 2012)
Stopped eating red meat and chicken (except twice.)
Stopped drinking 1% cow milk and started drinking Almond milk
Upped water intake to about 60 oz a day
Added in much more fresh veggies/herbs/fruits
Stopped going to fast food places
Stopped buying white bread and replaced it with whole wheat
Added more and longer dog walks
Started eating breakfast
Bought a Gazelle about 3 weeks ago, have used it a fair amount
"Try" not to eat after 8 (Sumo guys eat big meals and then go to sleep..I had such a bad habit of midnight dinners for a long time!)
Zumba on Youtube
Stopped drinking alcohol!! Except about twice a month with my husband when we go out to a brewpub.

I just turned 31..if I would have done the above steps when I was 27, I would weigh like 110 pounds!
The above has yielded only 2 pounds lost!!
Must find my metabolism that went missing!

I really like mfp so far. I have been on here for a few weeks. Stumbled upon on when looking for a way to keep track of calories.
The only feature I am not crazy about is this adding friends thing, like facebook.
But, anyway please add me!

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    You certainly dont HAVE to add friends! Everyone uses MFP their own way. Welcome, I hope you find it useful.
  • Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    You didn't say how long it took you to lose that two pounds was it over 6 months?
  • AmericanExpat
    AmericanExpat Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    (Due to being chained to a desk working on a laptop for sometimes over 16 hours a day..and drinking too many micro brews!)

At first, I liked the way the extra weight looked in my clothes. (I always thought Renee Z looked better as Bridget Jones)
    For awhile there I split into what I had because I told myself I would not be this weight for long.
    But, pretty soon bought a pair of size 10 jeans, the next size up, for lack of anything, literally, to wear.
    Recently now, bought 1 pair of capris that are size 13...And cut the tag because I dont want my husband to see :( I had been very defensive with him at first but now I have accepted that I dont want to gain anymore and admit that I need to lose some.
    My goal is to not have to buy anymore new clothes and fit back into a size 8, comfortably.

Started eating breakfast
    "Try" not to eat after 8 (Sumo guys eat big meals and then go to sleep..I had such a bad habit of midnight dinners for a long time!)
    Zumba on Youtube
    Stopped drinking alcohol!! Except about twice a month with my husband when we go out to a brewpub.

I just turned 31..if I would have done the above steps when I was 27, I would weigh like 110 pounds!

I really like mfp so far. I have been on here for a few weeks. Stumbled upon on when looking for a way to keep track of calories.
    The only feature I am not crazy about is this adding friends thing, like facebook.

Since you have given up the meats are you making sure you find other ways to get in enough protein?
  • janedoe0198
    Options
    You certainly dont HAVE to add friends! Everyone uses MFP their own way. Welcome, I hope you find it useful.

Thank you! Im looking forward to meeting more people with the same goal!
  • aquapup
    aquapup Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'll be 29 this year. I gained 30 pounds the year I got married and switched from walking to class to commuting to an office. I've gone up and down since then for six years but I'm really trying to get serious now and counting calories is the only thing that seems to work for me, so I'm trying to use the food diary religiously along with going for a walk or jog everyday (at least for summer, I need to find something else for winter). Also I love these boards b/c its a great support network when I need a push.

Also, I waited as long as possible to buy clothes that fit so when I found myself in a plateau the first time I got depressed that all my clothes were either too big or too small and I ended up gaining weight back. Now I buy one outfit that fits. I have a weird spectrum of clothes sizes but I find I feel much better about myself and that keeps me motivated to maintain and/or lose rather than gain more weight back.

To loosing the weight and keeping it off!!!!
  • janedoe0198
    Options

Started eating breakfast
    Zumba on Youtube

Since you have given up the meats are you making sure you find other ways to get in enough protein?
    I have been unfocused about that but have added more fish and beans. That is another thing I love about mfp, its helping me see I am a carb junky!
  • janedoe0198
    Options
    You didn't say how long it took you to lose that two pounds was it over 6 months?

Yes it had been 2 permanent pounds lost since January. I had lost about 5 all together but gained back 3.
  • nancyki
    nancyki Posts: 46
    Options
    With the changes you have implemented it does seem odd that you have only lost 2 pounds since the beginning of the year. MFP may be just what you need - to track everything that you eat and drink. You may be substituting more food or caloric beverages for those alcohol calories you gave up. Tracking should help so stick with it! Good luck.
  • janedoe0198
    Options
    I'll be 29 this year. I gained 30 pounds the year I got married and switched from walking to class to commuting to an office. I've gone up and down since then for six years but I'm really trying to get serious now and counting calories is the only thing that seems to work for me, so I'm trying to use the food diary religiously along with going for a walk or jog everyday (at least for summer, I need to find something else for winter). Also I love these boards b/c its a great support network when I need a push.

Also, I waited as long as possible to buy clothes that fit so when I found myself in a plateau the first time I got depressed that all my clothes were either too big or too small and I ended up gaining weight back. Now I buy one outfit that fits. I have a weird spectrum of clothes sizes but I find I feel much better about myself and that keeps me motivated to maintain and/or lose rather than gain more weight back.

To loosing the weight and keeping it off!!!!

I had never tried counting calories before mfp but it is now really helping me to see that I am not really that hungry, mind over matter! Office weight be gone!
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Why did you give up chicken?
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Why did you give up meat - both chicken and red meat...Red meat is not bad - stick to lean cuts and it is actually good for you!
    Why did you give up cow's milk? It is all good sources of protein....
    Don't worry about eating after 8 - if you are within your calories you can eat at two in the morning if you like...
    Start doing more stuff that challenges you and actually makes you sweat - instead of walking and the gazelle, try running for short intervals, and do weights....

Oh, and how much do you eat - your diary is closed so can't really tell you anything?
  • janedoe0198
    Options
    Why did you give up chicken?

After watching Forks Over Knives, I think it was the straw that just sort of turned off my desire for chicken.
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    WTF
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    Do you drink protein shakes? Your body need protein!! I eat any lean meats I want and I'm still losing weight. I do know everyone is different.....but we all need protein!
    Do you still eat junk foods? Do you eat processed foods?
    It's good that your eating more fruits and veggies...are you eating the starchy ones?
    Your water drinking sounds good!!

If you open your food diary we could help you more : )

You can add me if you would like : )
  • janedoe0198
    Options
    Why did you give up meat - both chicken and red meat...Red meat is not bad - stick to lean cuts and it is actually good for you!
    Why did you give up cow's milk? It is all good sources of protein....
    Don't worry about eating after 8 - if you are within your calories you can eat at two in the morning if you like...
    Start doing more stuff that challenges you and actually makes you sweat - instead of walking and the gazelle, try running for short intervals, and do weights....

Oh, and how much do you eat - your diary is closed so can't really tell you anything?
    Mfp advised a 1200 cal diet. I think my diary should be set on public now. You are right, I need to start sweating! Im looking at reviews of Insanity, Brazil Butt lift, and P90x. (looking for any suggestions) In the mean time, I will add in jogs on the walks.

I gave up cows milk, red meat and chicken after watching Forks over Knives. I was saddened by the conditions that most mainstream food manufactures have them but after seeing the movie was compelled to give the plant based diet a try.
  • janedoe0198
    Options
    Do you drink protein shakes? Your body need protein!! I eat any lean meats I want and I'm still losing weight. I do know everyone is different.....but we all need protein!
    Do you still eat junk foods? Do you eat processed foods?
    It's good that your eating more fruits and veggies...are you eating the starchy ones?
    Your water drinking sounds good!!

If you open your food diary we could help you more : )

You can add me if you would like : )
    It should be opened now. I do love potatoes and tend to overeat on carbs.
  • mkcmurphy
    mkcmurphy Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Ha! I'm wondering where my metabolism went, too!

Since using the calorie tracker and increasing activity, I've noticed an improvement, both in how I feel and what I see. Two pounds is 8 sticks of butter - consider it a start!

South Beach was recommended for my family because of health concerns, so I started using their cookbooks. It has some great recipies, and I while I am an omnivore, I think that they have some veggie meals, too. If you check them out, they also have nutritional info atthe end of each one.

Gotta run. Feel free to friend me if you like!
  • janedoe0198
    Options
    WTF

wtf what
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Something I've learned from years of reading about nutrition and experimenting on myself is that every choice you make is a trade-off. Giving up the beef and chicken have some valid points - but there's the trade-off of certain nutritional benefits. I took a look at your diary but there isn't much listed there. Did you trade-off those protein sources for more carbs? If so, that could severely impact your metabolism. I'd recommend reading "Wheat Belly" for more perspective. You're still going to have to make choices and deal with trade-offs but perhaps you could make more fully informed choices with better understanding of the consequences.

Here's an example that provides a glimpse of the kind of info in "Wheat Belly" - http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2011/oct2011_Wheat-The-Unhealthy-Whole-Grain_01.htm

The book goes into much more detail... and provides a whole other perspective on the results of the China Study. Worth considering.
  • janedoe0198
    Options
    Cool thanks, will read it, sounds interesting!
    Something I've learned from years of reading about nutrition and experimenting on myself is that every choice you make is a trade-off. Giving up the beef and chicken have some valid points - but there's the trade-off of certain nutritional benefits. I took a look at your diary but there isn't much listed there. Did you trade-off those protein sources for more carbs? If so, that could severely impact your metabolism. I'd recommend reading "Wheat Belly" for more perspective. You're still going to have to make choices and deal with trade-offs but perhaps you could make more fully informed choices with better understanding of the consequences.

Here's an example that provides a glimpse of the kind of info in "Wheat Belly" - http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2011/oct2011_Wheat-The-Unhealthy-Whole-Grain_01.htm
    The book goes into much more detail... and provides a whole other perspective on the results of the China Study. Worth considering.