What weight?????

Options
I used to use my mums multigym but I never used to pay attention to what weight I was lifting just what had the right resistance I don't live that close anymore so I can't use her gym now but I do core strength training with homemade dumbbells about 3lbs each

I am looking to purchase a pair of dumbells can't afford a set but am just wondering what everyone else uses I don't want to buy some that wont last long I need a challenge I am quite a strong woman I lift my kids all the time so I was thinking maybe 10 lbs I do find the 3lb offer little resistance now and I have to do 4 x the reps to feel it.

If anyone has any advice I would be grateful.

Thanks
Vicky
:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Replies

• vicky1
    vicky1 Posts: 236
    Options
    I used to use my mums multigym but I never used to pay attention to what weight I was lifting just what had the right resistance I don't live that close anymore so I can't use her gym now but I do core strength training with homemade dumbbells about 3lbs each

I am looking to purchase a pair of dumbells can't afford a set but am just wondering what everyone else uses I don't want to buy some that wont last long I need a challenge I am quite a strong woman I lift my kids all the time so I was thinking maybe 10 lbs I do find the 3lb offer little resistance now and I have to do 4 x the reps to feel it.

If anyone has any advice I would be grateful.

Thanks
    Vicky
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I just upped to 10 lbs, and they are rocking my world.:flowerforyou:
  • mjfer123
    mjfer123 Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Most of the females at my gym stay under 15, a good number stay around 10-12
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    You do whatever feels challenging. There's no reason to use 10 lbs just because you're a female! I use no less than 15 lb DB's anymore...when I first began, I used 10's and 12's sometimes when I first started lifting, so they're acceptable if they're challenging, but they're useless if you can do 20 repetitions with them. Don't ever be afraid to lift heavy weight. :smile:
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    If you can't afford weights, use stuff around the house. Milk jugs filled with sand or water about 8 lbs - have to be careful not to hurt your wrists though - don't bend your wrists back in bicep curls, for instance. Also, don't forget that many exercises can be done without weights - squats, push-ups, sit-ups, plank, leg lifts, tricep dips, superman, etc. There are tons if you look for them.

If I worked out at home, I would need 10s, 12s, 15s, and 20s.
  • vicky1
    vicky1 Posts: 236
    Options
    Thanks to all I am going shopping tomorrow and I think I might go for 15lb as my kids weigh more than that I do sometimes play with my youngest lift her up over my head 20 to 30 times she thinks its fun and I get a bit of a workout.
  • melathon
    melathon Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I started several years ago with cans of corn in my apartment and then upped to 3 lbs, then 5, then 8 (that was a big step), then 10, and my heaviest now is 12. I can't speak for all, but I think starting with 15 lbs may be a bit too ambitious. Just my opinion! See what you can do 10-15 reps of, and start with that one.
  • Phatmomma
    Phatmomma Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    bump:tongue:
  • greekgyrl02
    greekgyrl02 Posts: 123
    Options
    I bought some adjustables...you can change them from 5 to 30 lbs...there like 40 at walmart and work great!