Healthy Savory Breakfast Help

Options
dtobot
dtobot Posts: 12
Food is a passion for me. I still let myself enjoy foods, but my goal is to be more mindful of portions and remember to eat healthier when I prepare my own food.

I tend to like more salty foods for breakfast than sweet. What are some healthy recipes you make for breakfast during the week?

All I can think of is egg white scrambles and omelets or tofu scrabbles. Help a foodie girl out...:ohwell:

Replies

• Asil02
    Asil02 Posts: 261
    Options
    Every Sunday I make myself a breakfast sandwich.

Thomas' - Light Multi-Grain Hearty Muffins
    Egg Beaters
    Butter - Salted, 1 pat for the muffin when I toast it
    Hormel - 98% Fat Free Canadian Style Bacon
    And a slice of either 2% or fat free cheese

Toast the muffin and warm the canandian bacon.
    Put the egg beaters in a microwavable dish and cook on high for about 40 seconds.
    Assemble the sandwich and enjoy!

246 calories, 30 carbs, 9 fat, 21 protein
  • daniela_dimech
    Options
    My name is Daniela

The best thing to do if you love to eat is, eat 5 -6 small meals a day , i never tried it .

So i decided what the hell let me give it a try , i started 2 weeks ago and already lost :D its amazing and its so much fun , check out my blog i found that it keeps me motivated posting my meal plans and recipes :) everything is so good and low in calorie and very healthy :)

especially if you love peanut butter i found this amazing peanut butter for 2 tbsp only 45 calories , 1.5 fat amazing :) and so goooddd !!!!!!!!!!!

let me know what you think , and also message me with any questions
    im still new at this blogging stuff but i want to help everyone who struggles with weight loss , ive struggled and it wasn't easy but it is possible :)

Happy Healthiness everyone :)

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Koshkaxo
    Koshkaxo Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Have you tried turkey bacon? Its actually really good!
  • kmurphy0506
    kmurphy0506 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    What about some savory crepes? Maybe filled with turkey bacon/sausage, veggies and some greek yogurt on top? I need to keep an eye on this thread--I'm always looking for new, yummy breakfast! :)
  • mgrimshaw
    mgrimshaw Posts: 3
    Options
    This one sounded funny to me at first, but it's so so yummy: Cook 10 slices of chopped regular bacon, 1/2 bell pepper diced, half red onion diced, and 4 oz sliced mushrooms until meat is cooked the way you like it and veggies are softened a bit. Arrange in the bottom of a 9x13 baking pan that has been sprayed with Pam. Sprinkle 2C shredded cheddar over that. In a seperate bowl, mix 1 C pancake mix (we like Krusteaz, my SIL, who I got the recipe from uses Bisquik), 2C skim milk, 4 eggs, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper and pour over meat/veggie/cheese mixture. Bake at 400 for about 30 minutes or until the mixture is set. Serves 12 and is about 187 calories per serving.

You could also try making quiche. It's delicious for any meal of the day and you can put just about anything in it so it could be completely different each time.
  • Saezimmerman
    Saezimmerman Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I've been doing egg mug at work. I put 2 eggs worth of eggbeaters into a coffee mug and add 1 laughing cow cheese wedge (broken up). Into the microwave it goes for 1 minute. Bring it out to stir, then back into the microwave for another minute.

While this is going on, I toast my whole grain english muffin.

Serve with one cup of black coffee and a piece of fruit.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Eggs...real ones! I tried the whole egg beaters and egg whites...didn't agree with me

Bread... 45 calorie per slice (think it's healthy life) or 90 calorie english muffin

turkey bacon is pretty good

Morning star veggie sausage patties

salsa!

Or you can do what I do and put in some sliced ham in my scrambled eggs. Delish!
  • Shaunky68
    Shaunky68 Posts: 28
    Options
    Here's my favorite omelette that I think is kinda healthy,especially if you use mostly or all egg whites. I use 2 whites, 1 yolk for this, for the filling I add 2 spoonfuls of lowfat cottage cheese and a tablespoon of salsa. Add some black pepper and a no-salt seasoning or garlic and onion powder, maybe some chili powder over the filling just before you fold the omelette together. It's savory enough and if you like spicy foods anyway you'll soon find yourself adding maybe cayenne a little to jazz it up. Also, if you have some leftover cooked chicken crumble/chopped some up and add it to this for more protein and it's like a chicken taco but no tortilla of course. If you're not watching sodium so much you can sprinkle some shredded cheddar cheese before folding this guy up. I make this once a week, sometimes for dinner. It's good.
  • dtobot
    Options
    Thanks everyone...some tasty meals I should try! Eat well for yourself!
  • EmilyTwist1
    EmilyTwist1 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Something I like that's quick and easy is a grilled cheese on an English muffin. I like using whole wheat muffins (I think they have a better taste) and American cheese, though pretty much any cheese would work for this.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I normally have porridge (oatmeal), but today I had poached egg on toast twice for breakfast (brunch actually as I had a lay in). I am in the UK, and used M&S's high bran bread for the toast, no butter and whole poached eggs. You can add extra salt and pepper to season. High in protein, low cal with moderate fat & carbs, tastes great and kept me going through a 45 min swim 2 hours later.
  • charris5313
    charris5313 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    This one sounded funny to me at first, but it's so so yummy: Cook 10 slices of chopped regular bacon, 1/2 bell pepper diced, half red onion diced, and 4 oz sliced mushrooms until meat is cooked the way you like it and veggies are softened a bit. Arrange in the bottom of a 9x13 baking pan that has been sprayed with Pam. Sprinkle 2C shredded cheddar over that. In a seperate bowl, mix 1 C pancake mix (we like Krusteaz, my SIL, who I got the recipe from uses Bisquik), 2C skim milk, 4 eggs, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper and pour over meat/veggie/cheese mixture. Bake at 400 for about 30 minutes or until the mixture is set. Serves 12 and is about 187 calories per serving.

You could also try making quiche. It's delicious for any meal of the day and you can put just about anything in it so it could be completely different each time.

I am going to try this! Thanks!
  • dtobot
    Options
    Thanks! I will try making a batch on Sunday night for breakfast for the weekend since I am only cooking for one. I may try to separate the mixture out in a muffin tin (individual ready-to-go servings).

Enjoy your long weekend!:happy:
  • kinzie76244
    kinzie76244 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Good ideas, I have forgotten how good veggie sausage is.
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Google steel cut oats....you make them in the crockpot and eat them for 5 days (my recipe had apples and craisins-I used cherry) and 296 calories (depending on your recipe). SO easy to heat up, add a sprinkle of sugar and a splash of milk.

Toss a handful of spinach in a frying pan coated with a tablespoon or so of butter. Cook it down, squishing it to get out the moisture. Toss 2-3 tablespoons into the pan....give it a second to cook off some of the moisture. Then add 3 eggs and scramble in the pan. This tends to be a little more moist than scrambled eggs usually do so dont expect scrambled eggs like you're used to. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. IF things don't scramble quite right, used less cottage cheese, or spinach...as both add moisture.

Sometimes I just like to add cottage cheese to my eggs. It ups the protein and makes the fluffiest eggs you will ever have.