why you should eat sweet things in the morning

Options

Replies

• luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I was always taught to always eat a carb and a protein together. I have eatten oatmeal with a teaspoon of raw honey for the past year and it works well for me.

That's a good idea too (honey). Will def. have to experiment/pay more attention to 'sweet things in the morning' concept.
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    After reading everyone's posts I seriously need to re-evaluate my relationship with sugary sweets. I just really love them...and find it much easier just to keep them out of my house. If I don't see them then I don't crave them, it's that simple. But if I see one, it would be kinda nice to indulge on one and move on. Something else on my list of things to work on.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    You are having a high calorie breakfast of about 600 calories, high in protein and high carb, The rest of the day is low carb and kept to a calorie limit.
  • sisierra
    sisierra Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    how do you bake it? do you just like, mix it up and pop it in the oven?
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure this would not work for me. I am truly addicted to sugar. If I ate it in the morning, it would just start that monster right up and I'd crave it all day long. I really watch the sugar intake for myself can I can spiral out of control quickly.

I'm currently in a cake decorating class, and last week we made an entire cake to decorate, I drove it immediately over to my mothers at 10 pm at night after class so she could take it to work, because I would eat it, in it's entirety over the course of a couple days. Just addicted.
  • AndieLou23
    Options
    That is really interesting, I think I will go eat a oreo now ;) Thanks for sharing!
  • fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    So I can eat this other half slice of Cheesecake Factory 30th Anniversary Chocolate Cheesecake this morning. Sounds good to me.

I have a sweet tooth. I indulge it sensibly. I usually allow myself an indulgent treat on weekends and then try to limit it during the week. It works for me. People with no sweet tooth might find it difficult to understand.

I eat protein and fruit for breakfast though fairly consistently or just fruit. But I try to taper off and move to more protein and oinly complex carbs in the afternoon.
  • elfo
    elfo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I don't have much of a sweet tooth, and started adding fruit smoothies in for breakfast, and I feel like it causes me to eat more sweet things than I normally would but it might just be a summer thing.
  • aekaya
    aekaya Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    how do you bake it? do you just like, mix it up and pop it in the oven?

Put all of your ingredients into a ramekin or a pyrex container, and put it in the oven (or a microwave oven, which is what we use!) for 10-15 minutes at 350 degrees F.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I have heard the exact opposite. Eating something sweet in the morning spikes your blood sugar. The resulting drop after the spike sets you up for cravings the rest of the day.

Yep, really bad idea for a diabetic. 30-50 carbs at lunch or dinner is no problem, but I can't handle more than 10 carbs in the morning without setting off a roller coaster. Rules out fruit and oatmeal, let alone a doughnut.

Does this depend on what you eat with it? Because I always have a couple servings of fruit and veggies in the morning but I tend to eat a really full breakfast with lots of protein and healthy fats too. I find that I never crave sweet things during the day and that I always have lots of energy/never end up starving or snacking. The only time I get the 'drop' is if I eat something really starchy/carby (breakfast sandwich) or something really unbalanced (bowl of fruit, nothing else). Then I want to binge like crazy later.

For me, no, it doesn't seem to matter how much protein/fat i try to balance the carbs with. I go over 10 carbs in the morning and i spike. Later on, it doesn't matter, but i stick with a low-carb/high -protein shake in the morning
  • jching29
    jching29 Posts: 163
    Options
    I like combining my proteins and sugars in the morning :) not necessarily together, but I enjoy eating, say, a small serving of fish, with some blackberries on the side, blueberries, maybe a little chocolate, and some green beans.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    It must be true because in Italy they always have a pastry with their coffee in the morning and the obesity rate is 8% :devil:
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    Maybe its all in your head.

Exactly. But it works =)
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    The big breakfast diet amazon link explains it fully, take a peek inside the book:
    http://www.amazon.com/Big-Breakfast-Diet-Before-M/dp/0761154930/?tag=eded-20
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    The big breakfast diet amazon link explains it fully, take a peek inside the book:
    http://www.amazon.com/Big-Breakfast-Diet-Before-M/dp/0761154930/?tag=eded-20

Sounds like a load of crap...
    Now after continued research, Dr. Jakubowicz presents The Big Breakfast Diet, with its promise that you can have all the foods you crave, from pasta to bacon to ice cream, with just one catch—you have to eat them before 9:00 A.M. Based on the body's natural rhythms, eating a big, complete breakfast revs up your metabolism; helps burn more calories during the day and more fat at night; satisfies hunger all day long; boosts your energy; eliminates cravings for sweets; and reduces the risk of serious health conditions like type 2 diabetes and heart disease.

After explaining the science behind the diet, and how the body's hormones and metabolism process food differently depending on what time of day you eat
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Good to know, next time I'm drunk and staggering home with a pizza and chips
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    If you get a link to the study I'd love to read it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Googled:
    http://www.haaretz.com/news/national/a-sweet-dessert-for-breakfast-may-facilitate-weight-loss-israeli-researchers-find-1.413545

http://health.yahoo.net/experts/dayinhealth/delicious-new-weight-loss-trick
    Thanks. I'll read it later today.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • rgood1995
    Options
    Old post!

But just adding, I'm doing the Big Breakfast thing right now, and it really does work.

I have around a 600 calorie breakfast at 8:00am, and then I'm not hungry again until 2:30ish. Having a big breakfast early starts your metabolism for the rest of the day, and you need the food since you were fasting for 10 hours before that.
    And I don't crave sweets at all. Thething about eating the sweet is that because your serotonin levels are at their highest in the morning, when you eat the sweet thing, your brain dissociates sweet things with feeling happy. It won't work if you don't eat much else, as you end up feeling hungry so you need more sweet things, but it should do if you have the big breakfast (which needs to include protein).
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I have used this concept through 43 months of weight loss and I am a Type 2 Diabetic.... I have always made it fit in my calorie goals for that day and by allowing me this type of meal in the morning, it gives me something to look forward to every morning which in turn keeps me in check the rest of the day.... I mean who wouldn't look forward to a couple Pop Tarts and a glass of chocolate milk for breakfast every morning (that is not all I eat just using that as a point). I am not saying a big breakfast boost metabolism ( I do not believe in that whatsoever). My morning Breakfast normally runs around 1200 calories but only because I am eating close to 4000 calories a day and the other reason is I like to eat first thing in the morning before I head out to the gym....
  • Spadowski
    Options
    i've been eating oatmeal with bananas and choc chips for the past few days and i've noticed that it's really true! i'm less likely to crave (and give in) to making high calorie almond butter sandwiches, etc. ;]

here's what my breakfasts look like:
    <-- i love baking my oatmeal in a ramekin!! i like putting down a layer of fruit at the bottom so that the oatmeal won't stick... i've tried putting pomegranate, banana, and kiwi, with delicious outcomes. i like keeping a layer of bananas and chocolate chips on top.

omg I'm totally going to make your breakfast for my lunch today! That sounds SOOOOO yummy!!!