Running...

Options
xPOOKiEx
xPOOKiEx Posts: 156 Member
Does anyone else have a horrible time their first mile when running???

My fiance and I run 3.5(ish) miles every other night, with regular workout in between those nights...

I've noticed that the first mile is always the worst. I just want to quit, I think I'm not running well enough, and my knees are stiff as HECK.

But then once we get into mile 2 or so I feel SOO much better, and I feel like I could keep running all day.

Anyone else have a hard time getting started? Or the other way around??

Just wondering :)

Replies

• krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    ME! I'm fine for the first 1/4 mile, then my lungs feel like they're going to cave in! Then I finally hit my stride - and it's fine from there. I'm dreading starting up again in a week or so though... I've taken a break since my softball injury and it's going to either A.) be painful or B.) kill my lungs. Haha!
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Yep. Exactly. I now will walk for 10 or 15 minutes before I even attempt to run.
  • RunChristyRun
    RunChristyRun Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Yep! The worst part is after the first 1/2 mile for me...especially in this Georgia heat. I feel like I can't get my breath, but I eventually work it out and am fine the rest of the run.
  • xPOOKiEx
    xPOOKiEx Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Yeah Arizona's dry heat at 109+ most days KILLS me...it makes the running even worse, but I hate the treadmill more :P

I hope that the more I run this kind of goes away....but it always seems to be there :(
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Oh lord yes. Especially in summer. My favorite route starts with about 1/4 mile up a slight hill, which doesn't help. Each time I think: today I may not be able to run the whole 5K, and that's okay. And then I keep running and it's okay!
  • DRetel
    DRetel Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I call it "The Toxic Ten". The first 10 minutes are mental for me. I have to fight through it, then I start feeling better.
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Yeah Arizona's dry heat at 109+ most days KILLS me...it makes the running even worse, but I hate the treadmill more :P

I hope that the more I run this kind of goes away....but it always seems to be there :(

Yikes - that has to be awful! I don't even think I would run in that - but if it's like that everyday, what choice do you have? I suppose it's better than humidity :)
  • jhigg11
    jhigg11 Posts: 121 Member
    Options

totally agree. It's so hot here in AZ, I wouldn't dream of doing anything outside after 7 am. haha.
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    totally normal. the first mile sucks. forgot running past the neighbor's house when they're grilling - i want to steal their food and poke them with hot grill implements just for taunting me.
  • aftergypsies
    aftergypsies Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Not the first mile, a little less but yeah. I definitely need a bit to get warmed up then it feels much better!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    my guess is that you probably don't warm up enough. try doing this warm up here http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/01/09/warm-up/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFgu-tNAYgE

Here is this warm up written out:

2-3 minutes of jump rope (who cares if you mess up, push yourself!)
    50 jumping jacks (pull your shoulder blades back, extend arms and really focus on the movement)
    20 body weight squats
    5 lunges (each leg)
    10 hip extensions
    5 hip rotations each leg (like you’re stepping over a fence)
    10 forward leg swings (each leg)
    10 side leg swings (each leg)
    10-20 push ups (scale based on your level of fitness)
    10 spiderman steps (each leg)
  • 388gigi
    388gigi Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    My fiance and I run twice a week together too :-)

He is helping me train for 14km race in 10 weeks. We go up by 0.5km each run, we are doing 6km tonight!

The whole run is hard on his knees etc, because I'm too slow for him! haha. But the first part of the run is always the hardest for me too! I think it's pretty normal for everyone!
  • snw_
    snw_ Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    100% agreed. i run 4 miles twice a week and another longer one, around 6-8 miles. everytime, i hate the first mile. second is better, but by mile three, i fucking adore it.

i used to think that whole "runner's high" thing was a silly concept, but im now a believer.
  • MamaWannaRun
    MamaWannaRun Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    totally agree too. My second mile is ALWAYS my best!
  • SilMarillion
    Options
    my guess is that you probably don't warm up enough. try doing this warm up here http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/01/09/warm-up/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFgu-tNAYgE

Here is this warm up written out:

2-3 minutes of jump rope (who cares if you mess up, push yourself!)
    50 jumping jacks (pull your shoulder blades back, extend arms and really focus on the movement)
    20 body weight squats
    5 lunges (each leg)
    10 hip extensions
    5 hip rotations each leg (like you’re stepping over a fence)
    10 forward leg swings (each leg)
    10 side leg swings (each leg)
    10-20 push ups (scale based on your level of fitness)
    10 spiderman steps (each leg)

This ....

Just sounds like you are going to 0 to 60 and not giving enough time for your heart and lungs to get moving....
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    totally agree too. My second mile is ALWAYS my best!

^^this^^ I use the nike+gps app for iphone and you can track your pace. Mile 2 is always my best.
  • cbalver
    cbalver Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    That is so normal. I talk to my trainer about the same situation. I also have problems with breathing after 30 mins I'm good.
  • sonyachan
    sonyachan Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Yep, I often feel that way for the first 10 minutes/ 1st mile. Though I've found that since I've started eating more (like 2000 cals a day), I don't struggle so much.
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Usually it's .50 to 1.75 is the hardest time for me. However once I hit 4 miles I feel like I could go for hours!
  • cameralinds
    cameralinds Posts: 239
    Options
    It makes sense to me. When I've planned on running distance (10 miles or so), the first 3 miles are always TERRIBLE. Then I get into the groove of it and feel like I could run forever....

When I'm running 3 miles on a running day, the first mile or so, as you said it, is terrible. I think it's a mentality issue most of the time.