Getting rid of (or lessening) a stomach flap

Options
I'm pretty confident I'll never get rid of it totally, but some exercise tips would be great please. :) If they're ones that can be done at home with no equipment, then even better :grin:

I lost a lot of weight a few years back (with exercise) and have gradually put it all back on again :( hence my confidence in not getting rid of it totally - some of it must be loose skin.

In the gym I am building up my fitness, am jogging on the treadmill, intervals on the rower and spinner and/or the aerobics setting on the cross trainer. I have the amazing abs app for my phone (glute bridge/planks (normal & side)/spiderman climb/superman etc) but am not really doing it regularly atm. Any other ideas for trying to get rid of it?

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Eat well.
    Certain vitamines can help with skin elasticity.
    Look into Vitamin E, D and K.
    Eat at a slight deficit for fat loss.
    Maybe 20% below TDEE.
  • fatgirlslim32
    fatgirlslim32 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Great, thank you - I'll look into the vitamins & start doing the app more often rather than just looking at it!
  • fitpilatesqueen
    Options
    Eat well.
    Certain vitamines can help with skin elasticity.
    Look into Vitamin E, D and K.
    Eat at a slight deficit for fat loss.
    Maybe 20% below TDEE.
    I like this...I need to look at more vitamins.
    What is TDEE if I may ask?
  • AyaAEtman
    AyaAEtman Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    TDEE is the common abbreviation for Total Daily Energy Expenditure which is a metric to calculate the amount of calories your body needs to function in a day. This is quite similar to BMR; in fact, you need your BMR to calculate your TDEE; but your TDEE accounts for your average daily activity as well to give a figure truer to your specific situation. Basically, the TDEE calculation relies on categorizing your daily activity into one of the metrics' predetermined groupings:

Sedentary - desk job and little to no exercise
    Lightly Active - light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk
    Moderately Active - moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk
    Very Active - hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk
    Extremely Active - hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or training

Once you have determined where you fit in on the TDEE activity rate scale, this activity rate is used to weight your BMR giving you a more accurate assessment of how many calories you really need throughout the course of the day. Since BMR only accounts for your bodies basic functioning needs and not your daily activity, TDEE provides standard multipliers for accurately determining a TDEE. Those multipliers are as follows:

Sedentary - 1.2
    Lightly Active - 1.375
    Moderately Active - 1.55
    Very Active - 1.725
    Extremely Active - 1.9
  • frootcat
    frootcat Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I wish the answer to this was "It will just disappear in shame because it knows how much you hate it." :/
  • Meatsies
    Meatsies Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Edited 'cause Aya answered the TDEE question in way more detail than I did. :)

Also to add that I like FrootCat's answer the best.
  • DzzyButterfly
    DzzyButterfly Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Saving this! Thanks!
  • donnamorad
    donnamorad Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    A trainer once told me that fish oil helps too.
  • mlc323
    mlc323 Posts: 7
    Options
    make sure to do your research on the vitamins before you take them. vits ADEK are all dangerous or toxic at certain levels.
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    I wish the answer to this was "It will just disappear in shame because it knows how much you hate it." :/
    Or "If you wish really hard and really really want it, the weight loss fairy will come and take it away"

I do believe in fairies. I do. I do. :)
  • MooMooooo
    MooMooooo Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I once saw a show where a woman had loose skin after having 4 babies - a special massage therapist worked with her over several months and made it nearly disappear.

So perhaps a massage with oil every day might help? You have to remember to massage it into the position you want it to go in.
  • Ladyiianae
    Ladyiianae Posts: 271 Member
    Options

This is where I get confused. Sedentary is listed as a desk job AND little to no exercise. I have a desk job but I DO exercise an hour or so every day 6-7 days a week. For instance, this morning my session had my heart rate up consistantly at 152-153 for 45 minutes...and that's normal. Where would I fall in the TDEE?

Thanks!
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options

This is where I get confused. Sedentary is listed as a desk job AND little to no exercise. I have a desk job but I DO exercise an hour or so every day 6-7 days a week. For instance, this morning my session had my heart rate up consistantly at 152-153 for 45 minutes...and that's normal. Where would I fall in the TDEE?

If you work out for 6-7 hours a week, you are very active.

Thanks!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options

Thanks!

Very active

11614737_1881.jpg

Doing TDEE minus 15% and strenght training I was able to lose my belly after giving birth to 6 kids. As you can see I still have loose skin but I am the only one that see it.
  • Ladyiianae
    Ladyiianae Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • cckeimig
    cckeimig Posts: 194 Member
    Options

Couldn't agree more!!!!!
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    *BUMP*
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
  • NikoleD
    NikoleD Posts: 1
    Options
    :smile: Very inspiring, thanks for sharing the picture. It shows hard work, discipline, and love.
  • OpenHeaven
    OpenHeaven Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!!