Looking for a good protein shake mix

Options
Dauntlessness
Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
My husband is starting to drink smoothies in the morning and he wants to add a protein powder. We haven't had much experience with them and the ones we have drank are grainy.
I would like to find a chocolate one for myself.

Any suggestions?

This is the smoothie we have been making, Its Alton Browns of "Good Eats". I guess he lost a ton of weight on it.
We use almond milk instead of the soy milk though :)

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/buff-smoothie-recipe/index.html

Replies

• cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Im totally in love with Designer Whey... They have chocolate, vanilla, French Vanilla, Strawberry, and other products are available as well.

I just consumed a "Peanut Butter Cup" Protein smoothie using the DW Chocolate protein powder, light vanilla soy milk, 1 scant TB of peanut butter, ice and I added a few dark chocolate shavings on top of it as a garnish.... OH MY GAWD Im in chocolate-peanut butter HEAVEN!

I also do up a Chocolate-Raspberry using freshly frozen raspberries... Chocolate Mint using fresh mint leaves...
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition = Amazing. We have stick with the Natural ones around the house. We currently have tried the Vanilla and Chocolate. Both have been EXCELLENT. I can even just shake the powder with water in a shaker and be fine drinking it after a workout.

Here is am amazon link:
    http://www.amazon.com/Optimum-Nutrition-Standard-Natural-Vanilla/dp/B000GIURM2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338812421&sr=8-1

*kitten* you can see, there are a variety of natural flavors as well as sizes. Nino and I have a 5 LB'er of Chocolate and Vanilla always sitting around. For the price, its worth spending a little more for the bigger size and not having to buy protein ever week. I have been known to use these in smoothies, homemade protein pops and my protein pancakes ;)
  • chriscm70
    chriscm70 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hi Lect! :-)
    I also use Optimum Nutrition... the "double rich" chocolate kind.
    I found the best prices on Amazon and Netrition last I checked.
    I usually mix it like this: 1 cup skim milk, 30g protein powder, 5g dark chocolate cocoa powder (unsweetened... I really like dark chocolate though), one stevia packet, 60-80g non-fat greek yogurt (plain Chobani or Oikos), and 70g of some frozen fruit (blueberries, raspberries, or frozen cherries (cherries are the best, yum))
    This usually ends up right around 300 calories with around 43g protein. 32g carbs, 2g fat, and 5g fiber.
    I hope that helps!
    Chris
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I've tried a few, and I"m a huge fan of Optimum Nutrition.
    It tastes fine, but the biggest reason I like it is that it dissolves SO EASY.
    Nothing worse than shaking the hell out of a protein mix for ages then taking a drink and getting a big dry powder glob. BLEEAARGH!
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I also use the Optimum Nutrition. I usually mix mine with peanut butter, a banana, and peanut butter.
  • pinkwhisk
    pinkwhisk Posts: 41
    Options
    myprotein - buy online and get the whey protein.
  • Jugie12
    Jugie12 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I'm actually drinking a Lean Body by Labrada right now - this stuff is AWESOME! Love the chocolate, the vanilla ice cream, the peanut butter cup and the banana cream... all those flavors are fabulous! it's about 40g protein, 0 trans fat, sugar free, low cal, low fat, low carb, tons of vitamins and minerals, loads of potassium and is pretty well-priced for the quality of the product. It's by far my favorite protein, either by powder or by RTD.

I didn't like an Optimum Nutrition powders but that's just me. MuscleMilk is a great meal replacement as well. It's higher in cals/fat/carbs but is lactose free and like I said -is a meal replacement, not a supplement to a meal. You'd be fine drinking one in place of breakfast, lunch or dinner.
  • Sammy9397
    Sammy9397 Posts: 1
    Options
    LOVE 'LEVEL-1' PROTEIN SHAKES - http://www.1stphorm.com/products3/level-1
    Strawberry Milk Shake is what I have bought. Mixes great with the Blender Ball mixer.
  • Shabnam222
    Shabnam222 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Syntha-6 is my vote!!
  • Dethea
    Dethea Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I really like Reclaim Smart Smoothie mix. They have a lot of flavors, I currently own Strawberries and Cream, Vanilla Bean, Chocolate Mint, and Mochaccino Latte.

They mix really well into smoothies. Sometimes I drink them with water too, if I'm in a hurry and need a quick breakfast.

I got them at Complete Nutrition, but you might be able to buy them online.
  • Spice_4_Life
    Spice_4_Life Posts: 225
    Options
    I like Designer Whey French Vanilla, but my boyfriend loves the Muscle Milk Chocolate. Plus I like it for him, because the Cholesterol is low. You need to watch out for that. A lot of them are high in Cholesterol!! They even have a Muscle Milk light version. Good luck ;)
  • GermanicKnight
    Options
    http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4394912 - GNC Total Lean 25 Chocolate I use this and LOVE IT! Tastes super good with almond milk but also with just plain water.

http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13002299- Giant Sports Delicious Protein - Chocolate- Just started this one and it tastes AMAZING! Also, it is Gluten Free! It does not have the fiber of the GNC Total Lean 25, but is still really good!
  • PureDope
    PureDope Posts: 2
    Options
    -Almond Breeze Unsweetened Almond Coconut Blend
    -Gaspari Myofusion
    -Udo's 3-6-9

In a blender I sometimes add things like:

-Peanut Butter, Almond Butter, etc., any butters
    -Banana
    -Oats

BTW I used to use Optimum Nutrition but switched to Gaspari. Try it out. Very good flavor and no grit.
  • twinmom2006
    Options
    I use Isagenix "Isalean" and "Isapro"! I LOVE it...I have used many protein powders of the years (especially after Gastric Bypass) and Isagenix is first of all YUMMY and second of all one that my body has adjusted to very well. Whey protein all the way for this girl....:)
  • 5099peperk
    5099peperk Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    bump
  • aer1gurl
    aer1gurl Posts: 1
    Options
    click espresso
  • treatdream
    treatdream Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I love Jay Robb Whey Protein Powder. It has 25 grams of protein per serving, all natural, sugar free (made with stevia), rBGH free, easy to mix & super yummy. I usually mix it with almond milk and buy it from vitacost.com.
  • Leslie85
    Leslie85 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition's Double Rich Chocolate is a great chocolate one for yourself. You can order it through GNC or bodybuilding.com

If you mix it with skim milk it tastes like chocolate milk!
  • petes287
    petes287 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This is the powder recommended by men's health. I think it mixes better than Optimum Nutrition and it's a better mix of proteins as well. They have chocolate and vanilla:

http://www.atlargenutrition.com/products/nitrean-dc
  • bfitnbfab
    bfitnbfab Posts: 79
    Options
    Go to Target and get their store brand whey protein, Market Pantry Whey Protein. For 30 servings, it's $19.99 and you can find it on sale sometimes for $16.99. This is what I use with a tablespoon of honey, banana, and water. No need to waste your money on more expensive products.