Does anyone get 10,000 steps a day ????

Options
And if so, do u log it? I take a 3500 step walk every morning but the rest of my steps come from grocery store, walking to get my son from bus stop, walking to post office, it seems sorta hard to get 10,000 steps in ! But it just seems like it should count as exercise. Although I read to lose weight u should aim for 15,000 . I yie yie! Seems like I don't get anything else done!

Replies

• pickenslmc
    pickenslmc Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I think steps are a good start. Increasing your daily activity is helpful both in weight loss and maintaining. 10,000 steps can be a nice goal that is doable for most people. I would log your morning walk, but not the steps that you take throughout the day.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    And if so, do u log it? I take a 3500 step walk every morning but the rest of my steps come from grocery store, walking to get my son from bus stop, walking to post office, it seems sorta hard to get 10,000 steps in ! But it just seems like it should count as exercise. Although I read to lose weight u should aim for 15,000 . I yie yie! Seems like I don't get anything else done!

I would not necessary log it (you can if you want though), but would account for it in the activity setting you have set up on MFP.

Not sure where the 15,000 steps came from. You can lose weight on 1 step or 20,000 steps as long as you create a calorie deficit through calories burnt - calories eaten.
  • samthomason
    samthomason Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have a BodyMedia Fit and it also logs steps. It seems I only reach 10,000 steps on days I do cardio, otherwise I end up short. Since the BMF calculates my calorie burn I count everything I do as exercise!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I have a BodyMedia Fit and it also logs steps. It seems I only reach 10,000 steps on days I do cardio, otherwise I end up short. Since the BMF calculates my calorie burn I count everything I do as exercise!

I have a BMF also and only get to over 10,000 if I exercise or go shopping!
  • lforner46
    lforner46 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Its very difficult to get 10,000 per day unless part of your job is walking. I think activity counts towards your overall calories burned. If you spend the day getting in an out of the car, walking into the store, unloading groceries - those are all calorie burners. Maybe not enough to raise the heart rate but still you are burning calories.
  • ChrisK7265
    ChrisK7265 Posts: 21
    Options
    I make sure I get at least 10,000 (preferably 15,000). I don't count it on MFP, but think its important. I've done it for long enough that I don;t need to wear my pedometer every day, just days when I know my routine will vary from my norm.
  • yspen42
    yspen42 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I walk in the morning for about 30 minutes or more and then I have to take my dog for a walk before I go to work! I drink alot of water so that most definitely makes me take steps. Also, I try to walk at work on one of my breaks...then I have to walk my dog again once I get home from work!

It can be done....just keep moving!
  • livestar
    livestar Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I get a minimum of 10K steps per day and my fitbit logs it automatically. My job involves endlessly staring at the computer from the 9am to 7-8pm and I get my steps in via normal daily commute (I live 1 block from the subway and work 1/2 block away so this is not where the majority of my steps are coming in), office meetings, errands, and small changes like taking the stairs instead of the elevator. When I got to the gym and on weekends, I easily reach 12-18K steps.

If it's 8:00 PM and I'm at say 5000 steps, i just go for a short walk ~15-20 min and easily raise it to 8K. The balance is usually equalized on my gym days.

It definitely can be done.
  • EAlexandraB
    EAlexandraB Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I get at least 10K steps every day, often closer to 15-16K. Most of those are logged walking my dogs to the park, the rest walking to the grocery store, downtown to do errands, etc.
  • i_miss_donuts
    i_miss_donuts Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I usually get 12,000 steps, on a busy day I'll get 17,000 plus. Walking the dog, errands, up and down stairs to copier- it all adds up! You can do it!
  • VenusEnvy
    VenusEnvy Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    It depends on where you live, too. When I lived in Canada, I walked everywhere. Now I'm in a part of the U.S. that's completely car-dependent. I hit 10,000 steps when I visit walking-friendly cities like NY, Pittsburgh, or Chicago for work. When I drive to work or the store,I at least park on the far end of the parking lot instead of stalking the first 5 spaces like I see so many people do. It gets me a lot of odd looks but whatever! :laugh: I went for a morning, lunch, and evening walk yesterday and still didn't reach 10,000 steps. Still a good goal.
  • meandyou1124
    meandyou1124 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I log my steps for the day with the calories corresponding to it. I wear a pedometer. It is definitely exercise.
  • GermanicKnight
    Options
    I have a fitbit and average about 7,000 a day. I want more. When I go grocery shopping it adds 2,000 steps to my average. So, I think everyday I need to grab a grocery cart and push it for 30mins!
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Most days I am over 10k steps.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Yes. My goal is 10,000 steps a day. I log it through my FitBit which updates MFP for me.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit and average about 7,000 a day. I want more. When I go grocery shopping it adds 2,000 steps to my average. So, I think everyday I need to grab a grocery cart and push it for 30mins!

I have totally done that to boost my steps.
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    when walking or elliptical are my cardio-yes, I reach my 10k steps. When bike or swim are my cardio, no.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I track steps because I use my fitbit. I can see how active I was while taking my steps too. I have been averaging just over 12000 steps a day.
  • miniberger
    miniberger Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    my husband tries for the 10k steps per day and he's done so well. He goes on a couple of short walks during the work day. His company has started developing a culture where you can go for walking meetings- makes taking notes hard, but I think it's really good for morale in the company as well. Not as much burning out. He's lost a few inches around his waist and looks great. I'm really proud of him. That said, I think it's supposed to be hard to get them all in... it's to make you more active.

Good for you!!!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I get about 10,000 steps every day, usually more if I go running. I have a fitbit which calculates it into my TDEE. While I don't take its word as law, it's an interesting thing to know :)