Diet Soda and weight gain

Options
2»

Replies

• bionicrooster
    bionicrooster Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I drink one or two diet cokes everynight, along with a little bacardi its much lower in calories than beer :-) Hasn't affected me at all. Lunchmeat on the other hand, kills me. But I try to keep my sodium under 2000mg.
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    It's not the diet soda. Several years ago when I tried to lose weight, the first thing I did was switch to diet pop. The first week I lost 5 pounds, and changing to diet pop was the only change I made. I didn't watch what i ate or exercised at all, so I don't think the diet pop was the culprit.
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad to hear you say that about the Diet Coke's. I have been on my journey going on week 3. I have lost 4 lbs. I went from 5 of the 20oz Diet Cokes to 1. I want them so bad. I have been drinking my water but I hate water!!!!!!!! I need support really bad and reading some the posts have really helped.

I add crystal light on the go packets to my water. That way there's a variety & not just plain water all the time. Lemon tea, peach tea & raspberry lemonade are my favorites & they're only 5 calories per packet.
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Sodium...ups and downs of sodium = water retention... no possible way you had 7000 calories in your diet soda ;) which is what you would need to gain the 2 lbs...
  • bane0317
    bane0317 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I found out last year that I cannot do pure "diet" stuff anymore. When I cut out diet soda and a lot of the other strictly artificially sweetened items I found that my sweet craving died off. I have been able to add back some of the other things but cannot stomach a diet soda except on a rare occasion. I can do the 1/2 and 1/2 stuff. by this I mean like the Country Time Lemonade and the Kool Aid packets that contain some real sugar and some artificial sweetener without inducing cravings.
  • Stahlratte
    Options
    I know it's an old post, but wanted to add something.

1) Forget about "diet" coke or ANY soda whatsoever. Drink WATER, tea, some coffee (without sugar!).

2) Subway sandwich is FASTFOOD. Period. It's better than Big Mac, but still contains too much processed food and sodium.

3) Cut sugar and sweats from your diet. You'll be craving for them in the beginning, but you won't be thinking of them in a month time. In cases you feel you really need something sweet, drink some water with some glucose powder mixed into it. Glucose is also critical for your body after ANY exercise, either weight-lifting of cardio.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Also, I see daily fluctuations depending on what and when I eat, hormones, and a number of other things of up to 5 lbs. A diet soda is not going to make you gain "real" weight. It has no calories (or a miniscule amount). You gain fat by being in a calories surplus. Period.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I know it's an old post, but wanted to add something.

1) Forget about "diet" coke or ANY soda whatsoever. Drink WATER, tea, some coffee (without sugar!).

2) Subway sandwich is FASTFOOD. Period. It's better than Big Mac, but still contains too much processed food and sodium.

3) Cut sugar and sweats from your diet. You'll be craving for them in the beginning, but you won't be thinking of them in a month time. In cases you feel you really need something sweet, drink some water with some glucose powder mixed into it. Glucose is also critical for your body after ANY exercise, either weight-lifting of cardio.

And yes, I did get drawn into a zombie thread but I am glad I did so I can laugh at this post and flat out tell people that NONE of this is needed to lose weight. Ignore it and then some.