P90X-2

Options
amnski
amnski Posts: 251 Member
I am in love with the new program and was wondering how many other MFP buddies were also doing the program. Love Tony!! :love:

Replies

• Justin_Simmons
    Justin_Simmons Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I think it is a great program. This will be my second rd and i am going to shorten my time in phase one and three and spend more time on phase 2, the second phase focuses more on strengh training.
  • coachbeav
    coachbeav Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I agree, I loved it! I am doing a P90X/Insanity hyrbid now but may go back to P90X2 after this round. I am loving P90X/Insanity though...best of both worlds!
  • quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484
    Options
    I'm just finishing up P90X classic for the first time (12 days left :o) and am planning to do it again after one week's recovery. But I am interested in the P90X-2. How do the two programs compare?
  • Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I think P90X is more for gaining muscle mass while P90X2 is more for gaining functionality.

I just started P90X2 and some of the stuff in the videos is pretty difficult. This is after having finished Insanity, P90X and Insanity: The Asylum.

Maintaining proper form while balancing on a ball is not easy -_-
  • quixoteQ
    Options
    I think P90X is more for gaining muscle mass while P90X2 is more for gaining functionality.

I just started P90X2 and some of the stuff in the videos is pretty difficult. This is after having finished Insanity, P90X and Insanity: The Asylum.

Maintaining proper form while balancing on a ball is not easy -_-

In one of his webcasts, I saw Tony throw down 50 pushups with a medicine ball under each of his limbs. He could have done more.
  • JBurger2066
    JBurger2066 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I loved this workout. I went all the way through it and now mix in some of the workouts with my regular work. My functional fitness level definitely improved..but I still have trouble with the Impossible/Possible!
  • Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    In one of his webcasts, I saw Tony throw down 50 pushups with a medicine ball under each of his limbs. He could have done more.

Didn't say it wasn't possible. It's real difficult for me just starting out. Not giving up at all though. In 11~ weeks I'm going to be doing the same as he is.
  • quixoteQ
    Options

Didn't say it wasn't possible. It's real difficult for me just starting out. Not giving up at all though. In 11~ weeks I'm going to be doing the same as he is.

No, I hear you. I'm pretty sure I could do . . . one. I just mentioned it as a tangent, reflecting on a what a beast T. Hort is :)
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    In some ways it makes more sense than P90X because the way it's structured they worry more about showing functional fitness gains early on in the program before showing you visible changes in later phases. It's definitely made more for people who understand the logical progression of how fitness gains work. However there are a lot of points during the videos where I feel like I'm watching an ad for Rumble Roller or some other new product being sold through beachbody than a legit workout video. Too much product placement IMO. Also many of the pullup variations done here cannot be done on doorframe mounted chinup bars (safely) which is unfortunately since that's what 90% of the people doing these videos will have access to.

I think that P90X is the better overall program for reasons involve X2 being too heavily based on use of supposedly optional equipment they're trying to sell you.

It does have its merits though and I think that if I can get over the spammy product placement feel of it I'd like it.

P90X is for the crowd who want gains they can see in the mirror. P90X2 is for the crowd who puts more importance on being able to run faster, jump higher, lift more, etc... It's definitely more about showing you functional gains than the original, which is its biggest strong point IMO.

Would be nice if I could actually DO it, but ah well, I'll stick with my suspension trainer. Beachbody programs hurt. One of these days I'd like to see BeachBody design a suspension trainer based program so that autistic people and other neurologically challenged people can do them.
  • quixoteQ
    Options
    In some ways it makes more sense than P90X because the way it's structured they worry more about showing functional fitness gains early on in the program before showing you visible changes in later phases. It's definitely made more for people who understand the logical progression of how fitness gains work. However there are a lot of points during the videos where I feel like I'm watching an ad for Rumble Roller or some other new product being sold through beachbody than a legit workout video. Too much product placement IMO. Also many of the pullup variations done here cannot be done on doorframe mounted chinup bars (safely) which is unfortunately since that's what 90% of the people doing these videos will have access to.

I think that P90X is the better overall program for reasons involve X2 being too heavily based on use of supposedly optional equipment they're trying to sell you.

Thanks for the comparison. One more question: I do my P90X routines at home, in my relatively small apartment. There is just enough room to manage Plyo (barely) and some of the side-to-side pushup variations. From what I have seen, P90X-2 requires more space. True or false?
  • hongruss
    hongruss Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Great Program, although I luv'd the Im/Possibles, I found the stabiliser exercises tough & a real variation on working out. After finishing I tried Insanity BUT found it repetitive & boring(just my opinion), I am currently doing RushFit, which is a very varied total body circuit routine(different focus each dvdv/day) much like P90X/P90X2 but with less weight & an increased pace. It is very functionality orientated & is holding my interest. I will definitely be returning to the X's at some point though, really classy well structured w/out routines :)

Russ
  • contingencyplan
    Options

Thanks for the comparison. One more question: I do my P90X routines at home, in my relatively small apartment. There is just enough room to manage Plyo (barely) and some of the side-to-side pushup variations. From what I have seen, P90X-2 requires more space. True or false?

X2 does require a lot more space, yes. X2 requires a larger arsenal of equipment at your disposal, some of which (like the big balance ball) takes up some floor space.
  • quixoteQ
    Options

X2 does require a lot more space, yes. X2 requires a larger arsenal of equipment at your disposal, some of which (like the big balance ball) takes up some floor space.

Thanks, I was afraid of that. I do have places for equipment storage (I think) but I was worried I wouldn't have space for the sets themselves. Same with insanity--it seems that some of those sets require a wider range of motion than my apartment space could accommodate.
  • contingencyplan
    Options

Thanks, I was afraid of that. I do have places for equipment storage (I think) but I was worried I wouldn't have space for the sets themselves. Same with insanity--it seems that some of those sets require a wider range of motion than my apartment space could accommodate.

Look in to Rip: 60. It's a program that combines a suspension trainer + kettlebell training and the only space you need is a door that closes shut with enough space on the floor in front of it to get on the floor and do a pushup.
  • quixoteQ
    Options

Look in to Rip: 60. It's a program that combines a suspension trainer + kettlebell training and the only space you need is a door that closes shut with enough space on the floor in front of it to get on the floor and do a pushup.

Interesting--I'll take a look. Thanks!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I used P90X2 as my cross training for my last 1/2 marathon. I start full marathon training again in a few weeks and intend on using P90X2 again as my cross training. It's super because I can do it AND run or bike on the same day because there is no cardio in it. I'm really pleased with the program and actually like it better than the original P90X, as it makes more sense for someone who uses another sport as well. I didn't like that I had to buy more equipment, but it worked out for me anyway as it didn't take much.

The warm up sessions really are not that beneficial in P90X2 IMO as they just take too long and too much foam rolling. I have been using the Tai Cheng program for that instead and then just start the workout AFTER the point in the video that the warm up is past to save myself time. I also skip recovery day.