Really frickin hungry

Options

Replies

• drmryder
    drmryder Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Thankyou! I've been reading about that tdee stuff but jus couldn't get my head around it. You've simplified it for me thanks

I'm 5'5, and 154lbs. Very close psulemon

My MFP has always been set to lose 1.5lbs a week, I changed it to 1lbs and its still only given me 1,200 calories.

I excercise 3 times a week minimum. Around 50mins of cardio, 10 mins strength training.

Did you change your activity level on MFP that figures the 1200? If you have it set as 'sit at a desk all day', you need to change that to the next step up in activity level. That will change the your base calorie number.
  • danapouncey
    Options
    At the same height and about the same weight as you, I feel best eating 1400-1500 calories (BMR ~1400) and have been losing at the same rate eating that is I was the first month doing the 1200 thing.
    I'm really glad you posted this, makes me feel more confident about eating more
  • badgeratheart
    badgeratheart Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Bump. There's some really great information here.
  • kaellinn18
    kaellinn18 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    make sure your drinking lots of water!

This right here. You are most likely not hungry and actually thirsty. They feel the same unless you are actually severely dehydrated.
  • Shelgirl001
    Shelgirl001 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Just a little off response, I often feel ravenous during certain times of the month, so vitamins may assist in the hormonal urge to eat more, also. It is your body craving certain nutrition. It may be really extra hard to resist eating more food without adding a multivitamin at least one week out of the month for females.
  • rychma
    rychma Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    BTW, MFP sets your goal based on your inputs. Here is what I mean. I don't know your height but I estimated 5'5" for simplicity reason. You are about 155 lbs and 20 years old.

Your estimate BMR based on Harris Benedict formula is 1541. BMR = metabolic rate or the amount of calories your body burns if you slept for 24hours.

Lets also say, you have a desk job and you are sedentary. That means your Total Daily Energy Expended (TDEE) would be:

TDEE= 1541 * 1.2 = 1849 <--- This is the estimated calories you would burn in a given day if you don't exercise. From this number you form a calorie deficit

1/2 lb per week weight loss = 1849 - 250 = 1599
    1 lb per week = 1849 - 500 = 1349
    1 1/2 lb per week = 1849 - 750 = 1200 <-- there is a site restriction on going below 1200
    2 lbs per week = 1849 - 1000 = 1200 <-- See above

Here is the issue. This site doesn't tell you what acceptable based on your goal. Below is the general guidance.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

With that said, you should be aiming for .5-1 lb per week so you don't lose lean body mass (LBM). Losing LBM means a slower metabolism and harder to tone since you have less muscle.

Now lets say you exercise. This means you need to eat more so your body can maintain energy and burn fat. So lets say you burn 500 calories working out. That means your TDEE now increased by 500 calories:

TDEE = 1849 + 500 = 2349

This is really where you form your deficit. And to lose a lb a week it would be

CN = 2349 - 500 = 1849.

Sorry for being a math nerd but it's how I explain it to people. Also, larger calorie deficits don't mean faster weight loss. Mathematically they can, but in reality your body compensates by suppressing the metabolism and using LBM to get energy by converting the amino acids into energy.

That was super helpful and the best way I have seen BMR and TDEE presented.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    One last thing, you might gain a lb or two in the first few weeks. Don't worry it's water weight. Within a month of eating like this, you should have a lot more energy and should be losing weight. BTW, you can't gain fat unless you eat 3500 calories more than you burn. So if you burn 2200 calories in a day, that means you would need to eat 2700 calories a day to add fat.

Okay that is just wrong. You need to eat 3500 extra calories to gain a POUND of fat. But if you eat 1750 extra, you can gain a half pound of fat. It isn't like 3500 is this magic number that makes your body go into fat making mode.

How is what I said wrong? It is a fact, that you need to eat 3500 calories over maintenance to gain a lb of fat. It's the same reason it takes 3500 calories less than maintenance to lose a lb of fat.
  • azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    Options

BTW, drop some cardio and really increase strength training. ST leads to greater fat loss. Below is a good article.

http://www.metaboliceffect.com/topic/38-nutrition-lifestyle.aspx

The strength training is true for weight loss. But for overall health and wellness, esp. heart health, cardio is still a good thing. So, depending on your overall goals, you might want to switch out cardio for strength training OR add more strength training. Of course, depending on how you do it, strength training can have a strong cardio component.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    One last thing, you might gain a lb or two in the first few weeks. Don't worry it's water weight. Within a month of eating like this, you should have a lot more energy and should be losing weight. BTW, you can't gain fat unless you eat 3500 calories more than you burn. So if you burn 2200 calories in a day, that means you would need to eat 2700 calories a day to add fat.

Okay that is just wrong. You need to eat 3500 extra calories to gain a POUND of fat. But if you eat 1750 extra, you can gain a half pound of fat. It isn't like 3500 is this magic number that makes your body go into fat making mode.

How is what I said wrong? It is a fact, that you need to eat 3500 calories over maintenance to gain a lb of fat. It's the same reason it takes 3500 calories less than maintenance to lose a lb of fat.

The part where you say "you can't gain fat unless you eat 3500 calories more than you burn." You didn't say anything about a pound of fat there, and I thought that warrants correcting because most of us would feel at least half as bummed about gaining half a pound of fat as we do a pound of fat.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    At the same height and about the same weight as you, I feel best eating 1400-1500 calories (BMR ~1400) and have been losing at the same rate eating that is I was the first month doing the 1200 thing.

You want more reinforcement? Well I have it.

Below is a response from a woman I worked with. She did strength training 4 days a week and did NO cardio. She is 36 years old, 5'5" and weighed 155. After 12 weeks I got a message:

"I just wanted to thank you for your help. You helped me a few months back and I just wanted to give you an update on my progress. 12 weeks ago I started at 154 and 28% bf. I got my bf remeasured last Friday and it was 24%. But I only lost 1 pound. It is crazy to me but I have learned to ignore the scale. You were right that keeping consistent and not giving up my body would finally adjust.

Thanks again for your help!

Stephanie"
  • danapouncey
    Options
    BTW, MFP sets your goal based on your inputs. Here is what I mean. I don't know your height but I estimated 5'5" for simplicity reason. You are about 155 lbs and 20 years old.

Your estimate BMR based on Harris Benedict formula is 1541. BMR = metabolic rate or the amount of calories your body burns if you slept for 24hours.

Lets also say, you have a desk job and you are sedentary. That means your Total Daily Energy Expended (TDEE) would be:

TDEE= 1541 * 1.2 = 1849 <--- This is the estimated calories you would burn in a given day if you don't exercise. From this number you form a calorie deficit

1 1/2 lb per week = 1849 - 750 = 1200 <-- there is a site restriction on going below 1200

Here is the issue. This site doesn't tell you what acceptable based on your goal. Below is the general guidance.

With that said, you should be aiming for .5-1 lb per week so you don't lose lean body mass (LBM). Losing LBM means a slower metabolism and harder to tone since you have less muscle.

Now lets say you exercise. This means you need to eat more so your body can maintain energy and burn fat. So lets say you burn 500 calories working out. That means your TDEE now increased by 500 calories:

TDEE = 1849 + 500 = 2349

CN = 2349 - 500 = 1849.

Sorry for being a math nerd but it's how I explain it to people. Also, larger calorie deficits don't mean faster weight loss. Mathematically they can, but in reality your body compensates by suppressing the metabolism and using LBM to get energy by converting the amino acids into energy.

That was super helpful and the best way I have seen BMR and TDEE presented.

Agreed!!
  • azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    Options

My suggestion is changing your setting to -.5/week and exercising for extra calories. YOU will still lose weight. When it starts to feel like enough food, then you can change it to -1 / week. and gradually get it to the setting you are comfortable at.

What is not often discussed in forums is the fact we have streched our stomachs so that a good sized meal can leave us hungry. Restaurant portions are generly 2-3 X's what people should eat at a sitting. Not saying that this is true in your case, but I have noticed that it is in mine. I no longer want to eat what I used to dish up.

I hope someone can give a suggestion for you that fits.

^^^THIS. I'm getting back on track after a month of not doing so well. So, I changed my goals to a 1.5 lb/wk loss just until I get back into the swing of things. My body would be freaking out if I didn't.
  • danapouncey
    Options

Below is a response from a woman I worked with. She did strength training 4 days a week and did NO cardio. She is 36 years old, 5'5" and weighed 155. After 12 weeks I got a message:

"I just wanted to thank you for your help. You helped me a few months back and I just wanted to give you an update on my progress. 12 weeks ago I started at 154 and 28% bf. I got my bf remeasured last Friday and it was 24%. But I only lost 1 pound. It is crazy to me but I have learned to ignore the scale. You were right that keeping consistent and not giving up my body would finally adjust.

Stephanie"

Sorry no, by me saying that please don't think i was brushing aside what you've said. I know what you've said is spot on, and thankyou so much, it's just nice when someone else who has done it can confirm also! I wish I could have spoken to you from day one to be honest
  • lovemykids58
    lovemykids58 Posts: 195 Member
    Options

TDEE = 1849 + 500 = 2349

CN = 2349 - 500 = 1849.

BUMP ^
  • sazzyp1973
    sazzyp1973 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I find that getting more protein helps me from feeling hungry. I am trying to eat protein with every meal.

^ this and are you drinking lots of water?
  • lovemykids58
    lovemykids58 Posts: 195 Member
    Options

TDEE = 1849 + 500 = 2349

CN = 2349 - 500 = 1849.

BUMP ^

BEST explanation i have seen,
    Thanks!!!!
  • mblaylock980
    Options
    Thankyou! I've been reading about that tdee stuff but jus couldn't get my head around it. You've simplified it for me thanks

I'm 5'5, and 154lbs. Very close psulemon

My MFP has always been set to lose 1.5lbs a week, I changed it to 1lbs and its still only given me 1,200 calories.

I excercise 3 times a week minimum. Around 50mins of cardio, 10 mins strength training.

Here is your TDEE (including exercise)

TDEE = 1541 * 1.375 = 2118
    CN = 2118 * .8 = 1691

Do yourself a favor, eat 1700 calories a day (do NOT eat back exercise calories and eat that every day, even on rest days). Set your carbs to 35%, protein to 40% and fats to 25%. If you start to exercise 5 days a week, add another 200 calories to each day.

BTW, drop some cardio and really increase strength training. ST leads to greater fat loss. Below is a good article.

http://www.metaboliceffect.com/topic/38-nutrition-lifestyle.aspx

^^^^ Bump ^^^^
  • psuLemon
    Options

Stephanie"

Sorry no, by me saying that please don't think i was brushing aside what you've said. I know what you've said is spot on, and thankyou so much, it's just nice when someone else who has done it can confirm also! I wish I could have spoken to you from day one to be honest

I just realized I left out that she was eating 2100 calories on workout days and 1800 calories on non workout days, lol
  • JulieHearts
    JulieHearts Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I don't count vegetables as calories eaten (except for veggies like squash, potatoes, corn, sweet potatoes)... I basically consider them free eats (and I eat lot of them for lunch and dinner to feel fuller). That might free up some calories for you, just an idea :smile: