New and desperately needing help!

Options
So I joined MFP to get my life back. I'm about to be 35 in 1 month and am so unhealthy and soooo overweight. I need help, advice and encouragement!

Replies

• rwperez
    rwperez Posts: 13
    Options
    I am new as well. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • dani_1977
    dani_1977 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Will also be 35 in July!!! woo hooo

Advice

- The weight didn't come on overnight, dont expect it to come off in a few weeks/months
    - Dont call it a diet... make a healthy lifestyle
    - It takes 21 days to make something a habit, 21 days... to make better decisions, 21 days... to log in to MFP, 21 days... to fittining a workout.

You can do it

Add me as a friend if you like.
  • kba0708
    kba0708 Posts: 17
    Options
    I won't sugar coat it; starting SUCKS! But stick with it. Your cravings will subside, your energy will increase, and your self confidence will go through the roof. Your overall well being will get better. After a few weeks you will notice a difference but you wont get there unles you begin somewhere. So start NOW and that "better" feeling will be here before you know it.

Build in NONfood rewards-- a new pair of shoes (my next reward is running shoes!), a massage, something you have been wanting for awhile... Do small rewards for every goal and when the ultimate goal is reached, set a big reward. (mine is a vacation somewhere tropical...and in a bikini!)

Good luck and remember.... Yes! You CAN! And will. :)
  • citygirl4ever
    citygirl4ever Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I agree with kba0708 it is hard but with the support of this site and the friends you make your journey will be much easier. Take one day at a time and in some cases one minute at a time. Don't let set back derail your efforts. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • shivelgrumpet
    Options
    I just started (for the I don't know how many times) today on my summer plan to shed some pounds. I am trying the 24 day challenge through Advocare. So far today, it hasn't been too rough. The supplements seem to be helping keep me feeling full. I'm a little nervous, though, because summer doesn't keep me as busy as I am during the school year when I'm teaching. Of course, I didn't do too well during the school year either. I am pretty determined this time, hoping it will stick. :)
  • jiddu17
    jiddu17 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    You're definitely in the right place. Good for you for taking the step in joining!! I'm new here too. Not new to changing my insides or outsides, but even after only one month of participation here it has become so very obvious that the support is what I've been lacking in my previous attempts. Also - as I probably ate food with a sort of compulsion, I find that redirecting those tendencies to this website is the absolute BEST distraction from considering a poor food choice. Anyone who has an addiction or compulsion they are trying to break needs someone (or something) to distract them from their urge until it subsides. Welcome!
  • amtru2015
    amtru2015 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Best advice I can give has already been mentioned--don't expect to achieve your goal in a week. Set an attainable goal for yourself. I weigh myself every Friday, first thing in the morning. I won't even look at the scale any other day. I expect to lose 1-2 lbs per week. If things came up and you didnt get to work out, don't weigh yourself till the next week. The point is to not get discouraged. Give yourself one day a week that you dont have to work out, doesn't have to be a set day. Also give yourself one day a week you eat whatever you want. And keep in mind your end goal. My husband's deployed, what motivates me is the look on his face when he comes back and sees what ive done. Find out what motivates you and constantly remind yourself. Lastly, don't let yourself make excuses, and when you're working out and it sucks, remind yourself....I repeat over and over "challenge yourself" or "im burning fat"---it seriously helps.
  • Debstarr13
    Debstarr13 Posts: 10
    Options
    im not that new, but i need help too! and i will do the same
    so if anyone wants to add me feel free! thanks!
  • linnyrhea
    linnyrhea Posts: 105
    Options
    Welcome! Feel free to add me as a friend! Anyone can :)
  • bigpenguin570
    bigpenguin570 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me as a friend. This my second week and I love it. Very simply put, count your calories and exercise!!
  • wenikikini
    wenikikini Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I've been a member for a while, but I need to get my life back too! I'd love to have new freinds and more support so anyone can add me too! Thank you and welcome to all the newbies!! You will love it here!
  • candctaber
    candctaber Posts: 274
    Options
    I am 36. Once you get going, this is so easy! Make sure to log EVERYTHING!!! If you go over dont worry about it, tomorrow is a new day and you will do better. I never knew how few calories I was eating before, I was starving my body! Good luck!!

Feel free to add me if you want.
  • Sunlight2011
    Sunlight2011 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hi. Feel free to add me. I'm 38 so 35 is a distant memory haha. Best of luck.
  • Joleigh1115
    Options
    Set a goal - not necessarily a weight-loss goal, but a goal to walk 2x/week or only have pop (or whatever your indulgence is) 1x/week or something tangible like that...make it easy(mostly) at first and then add another day or goal. Slow and Steady REALLY does win the race and if you make this about YOU and not anyone or anything else, you're sure to succeed...even with the inevitable setbacks, you'll make it!!
  • jvelasquez28
    jvelasquez28 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Awesome advice! Thanks. Getting into the right mindset is key! 21 days seems like a long time but changing my life is worth it! Thanks looking forward to keeping in touch through this journey!
  • jvelasquez28
    Options
    Thanks! I'll keep that in mind.
  • jvelasquez28
    Options
    I just started (for the I don't know how many times) today on my summer plan to shed some pounds. I am trying the 24 day challenge through Advocare. So far today, it hasn't been too rough. The supplements seem to be helping keep me feeling full. I'm a little nervous, though, because summer doesn't keep me as busy as I am during the school year when I'm teaching. Of course, I didn't do too well during the school year either. I am pretty determined this time, hoping it will stick. :)

Hello fellow teacher! I'm a teacher too. You can do it! WE can do this. I'm with you on this one!
  • jvelasquez28
    Options
    Best advice I can give has already been mentioned--don't expect to achieve your goal in a week. Set an attainable goal for yourself. I weigh myself every Friday, first thing in the morning. I won't even look at the scale any other day. I expect to lose 1-2 lbs per week. If things came up and you didnt get to work out, don't weigh yourself till the next week. The point is to not get discouraged. Give yourself one day a week that you dont have to work out, doesn't have to be a set day. Also give yourself one day a week you eat whatever you want. And keep in mind your end goal. My husband's deployed, what motivates me is the look on his face when he comes back and sees what ive done. Find out what motivates you and constantly remind yourself. Lastly, don't let yourself make excuses, and when you're working out and it sucks, remind yourself....I repeat over and over "challenge yourself" or "im burning fat"---it seriously helps.

Yes! One day at a time. No excuses. I would also like to impress my husband. He's heard me say over and over how I'm gonna do this and I never follow through. This is it!
  • AliciaNorris81
    AliciaNorris81 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Yes! One day at a time. No excuses. I would also like to impress my husband. He's heard me say over and over how I'm gonna do this and I never follow through. This is it!

I feel ya there! Every time, mine supports me. Every time, he encourages me. Every time, he gets the backlash when I fail. :sad: Poor guy. Now...with my 30lb lost approaching, he said to me the other day "You have stuck with this and I am proud of you". AHHHHH I melted. :heart: :blushing:

Feel free to add me. :)
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    My biggest thing is to set small goals, reach them, rejoice and set another small goal.

If we set our "end" goal, it may (in my case since I have so much to lose) discourage me so I set a series of small goals.

Lose 5% - check
    Run a 5k - check
    Lose 10% - almost there
    run a 1/2 marathong - in training
    Get to 208, which is when I move into "overweight" from "obese"-
    get under 200 -

I've done this before and gained it all back because I lost focus. I need to have something to work towards and "being Healthy" doesn't cut it in my comfort food addled brain

feel free to add me as a friend, I need all the encourage ment I canget!