Ladies- spotting due to change in diet?

Options
Hi ladies of MFP,

I have only been on this site for about 2 weeks now, and have lost 5 pounds. I am on Levora birth control pills, and have been for over a year. I am extremely consistent at taking them at exactly the same time every day. I have rarely rarely had problems with spotting before my regular period, but since I have been watching my weight, eating healthier, and exercising more I have experienced more spotting than ever!

Has anyone else on birth control experienced this reaction to their diet/lifestyle change?

Replies

• scubalynnie
    scubalynnie Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have an IUD and I am having the same problem! I am going to give it another month to see if it straightens out before I see the OB/GYN.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I've read that dieting does have that effect. I'm on my third round of Depo and the first two rounds SUCKED! Coincidentally, I started getting healthier when I took my first shot. I have spotting for months on end. But it's balancing itself out.. finally!
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Yep. BC for 15 years. Clockwork cycle. The first 2 months on MFP I was late a week. Doctor said it is completely normal when you change your caloric intake.
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I've found that losing weight does have an effect on whether I spot on my b/c. I've been taking b/c continuously, though I've found that the more weight I lose, the more in control my meds are. And then sometimes I spot for no reason. Sometimes hormone levels need to be adjusted!
  • EMagineBeingEMazing
    Options
    WOW! Yep, I thought it was just me.
  • BriskisGrl
    BriskisGrl Posts: 461
    Options
    I'm on a very low dose of BC.. so there is no room for error.. I skip one pill and BAM will start. Since I started counting my calories and working out more than I did I have had spotting this month that I couldn't explain. I though will just deal with it since I'm not willing to go on a stronger dose of hormones.
  • ssteinbring677
    ssteinbring677 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm happy to know it isn't just me! I hope it straightens out as my body gets used to the lifestyle change.
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    When I started my journey back in Sept 2010, my whole cycle was thrown off for a few months - it is totally normal. I have been on a BC for almost a year now, and it still gets thrown off from time to time because of my eating/exercising habits.
  • shel1103
    shel1103 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I've been using NuvaRing for about 6 years and started exercising and eating healthy about 2 months ago. This is the first month that I ever had spotting before my period. It freaked me out. Also, the 2 periods I have had since starting this have been AWFUL!!! Major cramping and very heavy bleeding.

Anyone else experiencing this too?
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    I am not on birth control.. but just now this happened. I've NEVER had spotting after a period.. and today I had some =( Worries me a little bit.. is it normal for that to happen without taking any birth control?
  • charmingtrouble
    charmingtrouble Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    same effect after starting MFP for about a month or so. been on BC pills for almost a year now and halfway through last month's pack I had some spotting and now I'm back to normal :flowerforyou:
  • slepygrl
    slepygrl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I'm on Implanon (it's inserted in my upper arm) This was a problem for me too!

Being a girl is FUN!!!
  • pinthin87
    pinthin87 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I went on a sugar-free detox for 10 days that just ended last week and during that time I got a full blown TOM. I am on the depo provera shot and have been for almost 8 years. I think it is pretty normal for your hormones to change as you change your lifestyle and eating habits. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you are uncomfortable then I would talk to my doctor.
  • valerie521
    valerie521 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    me too - I get cramping in between sometimes but also I think I'm starting to go through the
    change earlier - My cycles are running about 21-23 days. Who needs that !! Some months
    skipping and on B/C.

But when i watching what I eat, I do notice that I do spot and its so random. Nothing worse
    than that random-ness
  • w2bab
    w2bab Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I am not on birth control.. but just now this happened. I've NEVER had spotting after a period.. and today I had some =( Worries me a little bit.. is it normal for that to happen without taking any birth control?

Me too. Not on b/c and I didn't spot when I lost 83 lbs a number of years ago. I figured I must be pre-menopausal or something.
  • BrookeOB777
    BrookeOB777 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Ok, this makes me feel so much better! I take the pill and I took only one of my pills later than usual but I did just start exercising regularly and watching what I eat. I had some spotting and that usually NEVER happens with me.
  • charmingtrouble
    charmingtrouble Posts: 54 Member
    Options

spotting happens for a lot of reasons, even if you're not on BC, you could be spotting from high stress, changes in diet/exercise routine, changes in hormone levels, and etc sometimes your body will decide it's not in optimal condition to "re-stock" your uterus completely before your period so you get some spotting

if in doubt, you can always see a doctor
  • ssteinbring677
    ssteinbring677 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I've been using NuvaRing for about 6 years and started exercising and eating healthy about 2 months ago. This is the first month that I ever had spotting before my period. It freaked me out. Also, the 2 periods I have had since starting this have been AWFUL!!! Major cramping and very heavy bleeding.

Anyone else experiencing this too?

My first period since starting MFP begins on Wednesday...I hope it is fairly normal!! I'm sorry yours have been so crummy :(
  • MileyClimb
    MileyClimb Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    don't take any as I am a single girl but in doing eat more to weigh less changing my eating calories I noticed mine are lighter but last longer which is a suprise. no cramps.
  • morningsun3112
    morningsun3112 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Bump for later