Healthy alternatives to mayo & ketchup?

Options
13»

Replies

• SashaMegan
    SashaMegan Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Have you ever heard of Pindjur? It's a middle eastern spread or dip. Comes in a jar. It's red peppers, eggplant, tomatoes, a bit of sunflower oil and just a bit of honey. Nothing artificial and no high fructose corn syryp. Look in the ethnic food section of your grocery store. I use it on eggs or sandwiches, hamburgers. It's very good.

Unfortunately Pindjur, at least the home-made one, is pretty high in "hidden" fat :(
    I never checked out the nutritional info for the copmmercial ones.
    Delicious idea anyway, I love pindjur :)
  • BandedTriaRN
    BandedTriaRN Posts: 303
    Options
    George Stella (stellastyle.com) has a recipe for a kinda thickish "ketchup" with no sugar. My husband likes it but I find it a bit thick. My husband also likes the Walden's zero calorie ketchup. I think it is ok. I like it in the George Stella recipe for Baked Soybeans tho instead of his ketchup and find it pretty yummy!

I like the Walden's "Miracle Whip". Some of the Veganaise brands are pretty good and only 30 calories instead of the 100 or so in Kraft or Hellman's per serving. All is dependent on taste. I REALLY like the Walden's dips (onion YUMMY and zero calories). I love the Ranch dressing by Walden's too and blue cheese, Caesar's and several other. The Balsamic is great too and both my husband and I like it. I did not like their apple butter at all. It was more like apple cider jelly to me and yuck! We buy ours at either Sprout's or Wal-Mart, btw:)

PS: I like their chocolate syrup ON ice cream but plain it is nasty!
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    Mustard! Mustard! Mustard! Mustard is like my miracle condiment. And it comes in many varieties.
  • davidmcgowan1987
    Options
    Might i suggest a greek favourite of mine, minted lamb skewers served with a tzatziki dip

but the dip can be used to so much else besides...

its plain yoghurt, garlic paste and diced cucumber. delicious, hits the same tastebuds as mayo (though slightly sweeter)

for ketchup, might i recommend a french sauce that i was taught by a real frenchmen tomato concasse

read here on how to make it http://culinaryarts.about.com/od/vegetablespotatoes/ss/tomatoconcasse.htm
    but then add some sweet peppers in a blender and some vinegar to taste
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I do use hellmans light, cholesterol free sometimes - but I've started using hummus in its place.
  • jennismagic
    jennismagic Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Low-sodium salsa works for me.
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I use Miracle Whip Lite, 20 calories per tablespoon and I rarely need to use more than 2 tbsp. I use ketchup sparingly and don't really worry about it since it is low cal in small doses.

*Googles*
    That looked amazing, lol, then I read the ingredients....HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP! *Alarm Bells*

High Fructose Corn Syrup Dangers
    1. Significant Risk of Weight Gain & Obesity
    2. Increased Risk of Developing Type-2 Diabetes
    3. Hypertension and Elevated “Bad” Cholesterol Levels
    4. High Fructose Corn Syrup & Long-Term Liver Damage
    5. Mercury Exposure from HFCS

http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/high-fructose-corn-syrup-dangers/

I'd be careful with the whip, StarkLark :)
    Thanks for the concern, I do appreciate it. I don't worry about it in the least however. I've been eating it in moderation for a long time now and I've been successful and I feel amazing.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I use plain greek yogurt with 1 tablsepoon of garlic powder in lieu of mayo. My neighbor uses avocado. But you can make your own healthy mayo and ketchup

http://www.thegraciouspantry.com/clean-eating-ketchup/

http://www.familyfreshcooking.com/2011/05/15/homemade-mayonnaise-recipe/
  • aleexFIT
    aleexFIT Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Crushed chillies & salsa... mmmm, so good.

I also use Helmann's Lighter than Light mayo as well.
  • megacy
    megacy Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Most of my ideas were suggested already (hummus, avocado, tzatziki)
    So the only one I have left is pesto. Buy or make, it's great. This isn't a substitution, but something different to try, and since you seemed open and happy about the spice link someone else offered...
  • BandedTriaRN
    BandedTriaRN Posts: 303
    Options
    Mustard! Mustard! Mustard! Mustard is like my miracle condiment. And it comes in many varieties.

I have 3 kinds of mustard in my fridge. I LOVE IT! I eat it on so many things because I just love the flavor and I use to be addicted to mayo and miracle whip when I was younger (before I was diabetic).
  • Lieberm
    Lieberm Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Salsa or hot sauce instead of ketchup.
  • Flugangst
    Flugangst Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I've never been a huge Ketchup fan, and I've always found Mayo to be slightly vomit inducing, but I LOVE Mustard. I also love fresh made salsa/pico de gayo. I put that on almost everything, it seems. Being an Avocado addict, I usually add a slice of Avocado to a sandwich in place of mayo to add flavor. From time to time, Jalapeno coins. Or both...
  • saraya12
    saraya12 Posts: 13
    Options
    Mustard all the way! Many things that are good with mayo taste even better with mustard! Plain, dijon, honey, all kinds!
  • PrncessBre
    PrncessBre Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I use Miracle Whip Lite, 20 calories per tablespoon and I rarely need to use more than 2 tbsp. I use ketchup sparingly and don't really worry about it since it is low cal in small doses.

^^^This
  • leighlyn
    leighlyn Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    1 cup fresh blackberries or raspberries, finely chopped
    1 1/2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
    2 teaspoons honey

Mix together! so yummy
  • CherylGardner
    CherylGardner Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Not for me. Mayo and ketchup will forever be in my diet.

Me too... just smaller quantities (like 1/2 a serving)
  • libbyevans7
    Options
    I cook with lots of spices now. I also love to add cilantro to almost everything. I use spicy mustard on my sandwiches and it only has 5 calories for a tablespoon. I would recommend adding avocado, hummus, or greek yogurt in place of mayo.
  • merith101
    merith101 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Helmann's light mayo and low sugar/salt ketchup, and just a teaspoon amount, no more.
  • kiddoc88
    kiddoc88 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    hot sauce, hummus and spices as others have said, mustard , homemade salsa ..Making homemade sauces can be pretty fun too- plain yogurt is a great base.. you can make tatziki, garlic sauce, etc