Beware - Errors in database info - Doubdiary!

Options

Replies

• bethmac_va
    bethmac_va Posts: 65
    Options
    Unless I can scan my food,
    Scanning doesn't make it accurate,

Oh, well OK, thanks! I didn't realize that.
  • ZombieSlayer
    ZombieSlayer Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Scanning doesn't make it accurate, only identifies the product and pulls from the database. So if someone has entered incorrectly or some tool has edited it to be incorrect, you'll get that incorrect data.

I had a thing scan that had carbs out by a factor of 10 today, input with wrong decimal. Yesterday, had something where kcals were actually the kj so read higher.

Heh. I scanned my birthday cheesecake yesterday (new smartphone too) and MFP came up with Tyson Chicken Wings. Not!
  • cutethang1
    cutethang1 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Editing can be tricky especially when there are different values for the exact same products in Canada vs the U.S. even the serving sizes can be the same but the values will be different. It almost catches me everytime unless I actually compare it to the label. I dont scan for the reasons stated in pp.
  • devonette
    devonette Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I do not own a cell phone, so I can't use the scanner feature.

I've added foods to the mfp database using the info from the nutrition information on the side of commercially available packages. The one problem I have with adding foods to the database from my own recipes so that other family members can use it is that I can only see the information for the 6 nutritional components that I've chosen to show in my diary, and not the rest. Apparently people who use smart phones can see all nutritional information, but those of us on computers can't, so I'm unable to add info for those I don't track, like sugar, fiber, type of fat, etc., because I honestly have no clue -- it doesn't show on mine.

For the recipes - My trick is to use SparkRecipes.com, recipe builder. It gives you ALL the nutritional information (including some you can't add on MFP at all).

Ooooh, good to know! Thanks for the tip. Is SparkRecipes something you have to join, or can anyone use it?
  • ZombieSlayer
    ZombieSlayer Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    For the recipes - My trick is to use SparkRecipes.com, recipe builder. It gives you ALL the nutritional information (including some you can't add on MFP at all).

Ooooh, good to know! Thanks for the tip. Is SparkRecipes something you have to join, or can anyone use it?

You have to join, but it's completely free.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Scanning doesn't make it accurate, only identifies the product and pulls from the database. So if someone has entered incorrectly or some tool has edited it to be incorrect, you'll get that incorrect data.

I had a thing scan that had carbs out by a factor of 10 today, input with wrong decimal. Yesterday, had something where kcals were actually the kj so read higher.

I was under the impression that the nutrition facts were in the bar code. If you scan, you will notice that the description is often exact complete with TM logo. You can't find that if you just do a regular search in the database.
  • bethmac_va
    bethmac_va Posts: 65
    Options

I was under the impression that the nutrition facts were in the bar code. If you scan, you will notice that the description is often exact complete with TM logo. You can't find that if you just do a regular search in the database.

That's what I thought too... :ohwell:
  • squiggle82
    Options
    Sometimes I cannot bear to see that I have surpassed my daily calorie allotment, so I edit the info on some foods, lowering the calorie amounts. It helps me feel better about what I ate. I'm sorry if it causes anyone else problems.

Am I reading this correctly? Are you saying that you edit a food in the database to enter wrong nutritional data? Which would mean that every other user who uses that item either has to re-edit it or they get wrong data in their own diary? I sure hope I read that wrong. Either that or I hope you are joking - I can't tell.

...I use the scan function and it's not always accurate so I double check and almost every day I find entries that are wrong, from the calorie count to the sodium content - I always edit them so that my diary is as accurate as possible. To change them to make your diary look better is cheating a little, is it not? Even if my numbers are red (right now I'm over my carbs) I wouldn't go editing anything cause I'd only be cheating myself.

Edited to add that no, the scan function isn't always accurate. I scanned frozen fruit from Asda and it brought up frozen fruit from Sainsbury's. It does that quite a lot. Then, if I actually search for what I'm trying to add I'll sometimes find it already entered. The scan function is usefull but it is a little hit and miss.
  • ae2rigc
    ae2rigc Posts: 37
    Options
    Bar code is just a number, it stores no information at all, just the number.
    The number identifies a product (hence why it's called a UPC - Universal Product Code)
    What information is stored about that product is entirely dependant on what the back end database holds about that product.

Doesn't matter if it's the MFP DB (that holds nutrient info) or Walmart's stock control DB (that could hold, costs, stock, shelf location, lead times for new orders, historical order data, etc etc etc), the data that's presented comes from a database, not from the barcode.
  • wolfi622
    wolfi622 Posts: 206
    Options
    The scanner still pulls data from the same database, so it can just as easily be wrong. I believe if you correct calories on your own diary after you have entered the item, whether it be with adjusting the serving or the calories, that it does not change the database. That is only done through the verification pop up window.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I cannot bear to see that I have surpassed my daily calorie allotment, so I edit the info on some foods, lowering the calorie amounts. It helps me feel better about what I ate. I'm sorry if it causes anyone else problems.

Am I reading this correctly? Are you saying that you edit a food in the database to enter wrong nutritional data? Which would mean that every other user who uses that item either has to re-edit it or they get wrong data in their own diary? I sure hope I read that wrong. Either that or I hope you are joking - I can't tell.

The person was using sarcastic humor........so yes, they were joking.
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options

OMG I am so relieved. From the responses (which were probably joking also - I hope), I thought people were even saying they were okay with it. Usually I can scope out sarcasm better - this time I wasn't so sure!
  • pedraz
    pedraz Posts: 173
    Options
    when you go to add on your cell phone on the right side of the search bar there is a bar code app touch that then hold the bar code up like you going to take a pic of it very easy i bar code everything usually

Wish the scanner would recognize stuff outside of the States. I almost always have to "create" a new food. Sooooo annoyingggg. I would barcode my Life if I could.
    No wait, maybe I wouldn't ; )
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Is there a particular reason why isn't the bar code option isn't available for the pc?

If all users could work with bar codes there would be fewer errors and fewer duplicates.
  • gatecityradio
    Options
    Welcome to MFP.
  • MelissaE1214
    MelissaE1214 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Also, the data base automatically rounds decimals up. That doesn't help things.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

The best comment on the whole thread. I'm still giggling.:laugh:
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Sources of error in the database:

1. Different recipes in different countries
    2. Different packaging in different countries
    3. Incomplete nutritional information on packaging
    4. Typos

The only thing people can really do anything about is #4. And that is also why there is a confirmation button.
  • Strive2BLean
    Strive2BLean Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    You can say the same for the calories burned with various exercises. For example one hour of elliptical training is listed as something like 600 calories burned whereas when I wear my heart rate monitor I actually only burn around 300 calories. For those who eat their exercise calories this could be a problem. Just saying
  • jenrome
    jenrome Posts: 7
    Options
    When I first started calorie counting and lost 2 1/2 stone (just saying so you know it worked till I stopped and crept back up a bit) I obsessed over the tiniest difference in this brand over that and got knocked into place by a rather gruff older lady who'd lost something like 150 lbs and was then running marathons. Bodies burn calories slightly differently anyway. Seriously, if you are someone who tends to fidget you will burn slightly more doing seemingly nothing than someone else. None of this is 100% accurate. Make sure the entries you use all the time are as close as possible and if you have a one off you are unsure of then deliberately round up (and deliberately round down exercise). This way you know you are covered. If you go over a bit one day then try to be under other days. You are trying to change bad habits and make healthier choices not conduct a scientific experiment to the nearest decimal point. When you go on holiday take a break and get back at it when you return - otherwise it isn't a holiday. This is not a diet. It is a retraining of your mind and body to a healthier approach toward food and exercise. "Naturally" thin people do this automatically. Eat treats when they want them but then skip them other times. You are just trying to get your body to listen to hunger signals again. One of the most empowering places you can find yourself at is the one where you can look at some homemade goody being offer round and honestly find yourself saying, "That looks so good but I already ate and I just am not hungry right now". That is what you are aiming for. Not a lifetime of deprivation:)

And do be careful because I have it on good authority that you body burns 300 calorie pizzas slower than lots of other types of calories:)

Don't lie to yourself. Give yourself treats in moderation and make sure they are really good, expensive, yummy ones that mean you've really appreciated then extra calories.

Sorry. Off my soap box and I wasn't nearly as bad as she was. I was angry with her for weeks after her post but she was right.