clavicle fracture

Options
So recently I broke my collarbone during a rugby game. Now I'm stuck at home because all the painkillers are making me sleepy and drowsy. I am falling way behind in school but I am planning to change that in this coming week. Besides school, my workout and eating have suffer as well. Since I am sleepy all the time I spent majority of the day sleeping (or just lying around). I can't sleep at night because it hurts to sleep on my bed so I usually sleep on my round chair which does help relieve some of the pain. So my question here is. Should I start lower body workouts because I have so much energy when I am awake. And I can't afford wasting my time. I feel so unaccomplished when I'm not working out like I usually do. Because I have so much free time on my hand now days,all the cravings of bad food takes over. I'm super frustrated, I hate being injured. it makes me feel so useless. Anyways, I still have at least 4 more weeks till the bone will heal completely. What should I do? Should I ask my doc for a personalized nutritional plan so I won't gain any unwanted weight? Thanks

Replies

• numberscolors
    Options
    definitely talk to you doctor.
    but, in the mean time, take care of yourself! a clavicle fracture is a serious injury. use this time to relax and heal.
    if you're really concerned about gaining weight, just be extra aware of your eating, but be sure not to deprive yourself!
    take care and good luck. i'm sorry to hear about your injury.
  • numberscolors
    Options
    definitely talk to you doctor.
    but, in the mean time, take care of yourself! a clavicle fracture is a serious injury. use this time to relax and heal.
    if you're really concerned about gaining weight, just be extra aware of your eating, but be sure not to deprive yourself!
    take care and good luck. i'm sorry to hear about your injury.
  • numberscolors
    Options
    p.s. i totally understand that feeling of uselessness. when i injured my back (herniated disks), i could barely move. i got so depressed and i started blaming myself. i felt so sh*tty about myself. :frown:
    try not to take it out on yourself. injuries are just an unfortunate circumstance of an active life! :flowerforyou:
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    I broke my collar bone the summer before kindergarden so on the first day of school I had to play hopscotch with the goody goody girl while everyone else got to play on the monkey bars, yup theres my sob story lol! But yea sucky injury cause they can't cast it, can you do stationary bike, the lower seated one? Yea I think you should try and do some exercise, as much as you can handle and talk to you doc, just stay within your cals and you won't gain, good luck, sorry to here about the injury!

~Leash :heart:
  • Demetria
    Options
    Do you like to read? Lower body exercises might be possible but talk to your doc first. Can you walk around the house? Just try to keep busy as well as you can and when you r sleepy just sleep, your body is working hard to heal your fracture.

Demetria
  • dachinababe
    Options
    thank you all, its been a little over a month since I broke my collarbone. It doesn't hurt anymore when I attempted to run but still hurts when I tried to weight train it. I have my doctor's appointment tomorrow. I will be back to working out full time in no time. :) this wasn't as bad as I thought. Thank you all for the support and advice :happy:
  • StathisK
    StathisK Posts: 1
    Options
    how much time till you fully returned in workout?
    I broke mine 7 days ago while riding a quad, and from what I understand it will be another 2 months before I can return in a full body workout. I like some weight lifting and I like tension ropes excersices a lot which let you train and lift your own weight. I can do some lower cardio like walking and stationary bike, but I wear a splint to keep my body posture straight because the fracture is kind of bad. I used to be close to 2800 calories per day and now I have to drop to 1900 just to keep fit and not gain any weight.
    Fractures suck :(