Does the Sauna or Steam Room burn Calories

Options
Pretty much what the title says.

Any ideas Pals?

Replies

• LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Nope. That's my educated guess anyway. They just make you sweat. And feel like jello. Jello is nice.
  • jacqui250
    jacqui250 Posts: 53
    Options
    No it can help with loosing inches but not in a healthy way as it dehydrates you. Not recommended for loosing weight :-)
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    What jacqui said. It's a method of dehydration, and less efficient than not drinking water
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    My educated guess also is that it does not make you lose calories. It is just water being sweated out of your body - which I agree is not a good thing. Keep away I think!
  • ladyfox1979
    ladyfox1979 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    All I can say is that I get thrills of going into the Sauna/Stean room and stepping into cold air

Ahhh.. soooo refreshing, my pores open up and I feel rejuvenated especially after you work out gets rid of some of the soreness/
  • SophieB74656
    SophieB74656 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I've heard someone say that as soon as you step out you absorb a lot of the moisture back from the air
  • Loozin
    Loozin Posts: 91
    Options
    Hhhmm was a long shot.

I do enjoy relaxing in the Hot rooms after a work out.
    I do drink lots of water though.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    No. If they did, I'd never have to work out, I could just sit outside all summer and burn calories. I hit up the steam room after every workout though because it feels good and it's relaxing (plus it's awesome to stretch in there, your muscles will thank you!), but not to burn calories or anything.
  • LexyDB
    LexyDB Posts: 261
    Options
    Does sunbathing make you lose weight? Sweat is the bodies method of keeping you cool, the myth of the more you sweat the more you lose however, prevails for some reason.

Drink after a sauna and you'll rehydrate, losing nothing.
  • MorgaineFey
    MorgaineFey Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I find that the sauna helps me stretch out after a workout. It is easier for me to do a full range of stretch in the warmth rather than the (relatively) chill air of the gym. I also think the moist heat in the steam room feels great on my lungs (I generally have a grating cough from to many years smoking).

Bottom line, I think they are just for relaxing after exercising and not there to make you lose further weight.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    i dont think you really burn very many calories, although doesnt your body burn calories just by sweating, because your body is working hard to regulate your temp? dont know if thats true, but its my guess.
    I like the sauna because it makes my skin feel nice afterwards...i put toner on right when i get out because all my pores are open.
  • Hawkian
    Hawkian Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    What about working out IN a sauna?
  • Loozin
    Loozin Posts: 91
    Options
    I think I'm gonna have to take my heart rate monitor in the gym at some point to see what it says.
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I know they help you lose water weight, but my guess it isn't a good source of calorie burn since you would burn more calories sitting in a cold room than sitting in a hot room.
  • travelerdunks
    Options
    I wouldn't say they burn calories. I use them more to flush toxins out of my body. They are great for that.
  • ladyfox1979
    ladyfox1979 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    What about working out IN a sauna?

^^^ Its called Hot Yoga:happy:
  • aoikirin
    aoikirin Posts: 143
    Options
    It depends. Sometimes depending on what is done yes. I have seen some rather startling things occurring in them at gyms before that did involve physical activity.
  • bizio
    bizio Posts: 7
    Options
    Nope, it is just very useful to loose some water and relax your muscles.. After a good drink your weight is back!!! I love it though!! Drink a lot after it!!
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    It depends. Sometimes depending on what is done yes. I have seen some rather startling things occurring in them at gyms before that did involve physical activity.
    I don't really care if I took this the wrong way because the notion was hilarious. :laugh:
  • jennkain97
    jennkain97 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I don't really care if I took this the wrong way because the notion was hilarious. :laugh:

somehow, i doubt you took it the wrong way :wink: