8 pounds overnight

Options
So for the past month and a half I have been BUSTING MY BUTT, working super hard to lose 40 pounds before my wedding in October. I lost 12 pounds in a month and a half.

Went to Red Lobster last night, and gained 8 freaking pounds. I know it's prob. from the sodium but I want to cry right now. Also binged on cheezit's today. My first binge in over 2 months. I am SOOO mad at myself right now.. How could I be so dumb?

Replies

• Ifican
    Ifican Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    cheer up its not as bad as you think. I will try not to get to technical but you didnt "gain" 8 pounds overnight. I know the scales says so but its lying to you right now. During your weight loss journey if you are being really good your colon cleans out quite a bit, most adults have excess of 20 pounds of crap (no pun intended) in their intestines. When you start eating healthier your general eat less heavy / dense stuff. Over time your body gets rid of that excess "crap" and you are lighter for it. When you cheat and or binge on night now and then, guess what. If you just ate 5 pounds of food and drank 3 pounds of fluid, your scale just told you you gained 8 pounds from 1 meal. Now though it is not recommend to do very often. Couple to few times a year isnt going to hurt you. You will find in a few days you will have a hearty bowel movement and all will be well.
  • cmurray234
    cmurray234 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Cheez-its have 160 calories for 27 crackers. There are 13 servings in a box of them. In order to gain a single pound, you would have to consume a couple of BOXES of them.

Don't worry about it. One cheez-it binge is not going to de-rail you. Just set aside the guilt and go back to doing what you were doing. It's a blip. You'll never notice in the long run. :)
  • desert_rhino
    desert_rhino Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    So for the past month and a half I have been BUSTING MY BUTT, working super hard to lose 40 pounds before my wedding in October. I lost 12 pounds in a month and a half.

Went to Red Lobster last night, and gained 8 freaking pounds. I know it's prob. from the sodium but I want to cry right now. Also binged on cheezit's today. My first binge in over 2 months. I am SOOO mad at myself right now.. How could I be so dumb?

It is ALL, every bit of it, salt causing water retention. Having a binge because you "gained" water weight, especially with ANOTHER super-salty food, is... self-destructive, considering how much the salt/water weight upset you the first time.

Stop being mad at yourself, realize there is really not one damn thing wrong (because you would have had to eat 28,000!!!!! Calories to gain 8 pounds. Drink a bunch of water (and unsweetened tea and coffee, both diuretics), and move forward. It will be completely gone in a few days.

Here's Red Lobster's nutrition facts: (look at the incredibly high sodium content ACROSS THE BOARD!) http://www.redlobster.com/health/nutrition/nutrition_facts.pdf
  • xoalyssaox
    xoalyssaox Posts: 320
    Options
    Cheez-its have 160 calories for 27 crackers. There are 13 servings in a box of them. In order to gain a single pound, you would have to consume a couple of BOXES of them.

Don't worry about it. One cheez-it binge is not going to de-rail you. Just set aside the guilt and go back to doing what you were doing. It's a blip. You'll never notice in the long run. :)

I had a couple hand fulls, thanks makes me feel better. At red lobster I had 2 biscuits and about 75% of a HALF portion of chicken linguine pasta.. That's it. Thats why I am so mad!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    8lbs is 28,000 calories. Think about it like that - logically you can't have gained anything close to 8lbs in one evening.

Unless there's a monster under the bed feeding you cheeseburgers while you sleep.
  • katejenkins1
    katejenkins1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options

Unless there's a monster under the bed feeding you cheeseburgers while you sleep.

Pretty sure I've got one of these
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    maybe you did a lot of walking in the parking lot and turned fat to muscle and muscle weighs more than fat i think thats what happeneded
  • kikiboniki
    kikiboniki Posts: 398 Member
    Options

lol!
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    did you eat 28000 calories?

because that is how much you would have had to eat to gain 8 pounds of fat.

take a deep breath, it will be ok.
  • kekl
    kekl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Don't weigh yourself for a week, drink TONS of water and just go back to your normal healthy eating habits.

THEN step on the scale.

Trust me. :)
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    By any chance, TOM is knocking?
  • MeadowSong
    MeadowSong Posts: 171 Member
    Options

NOW I KNOW WHAT'S BEEN GOING ON. And I don't even care for cheeseburgers, prefer fried-onion hamburger with mustard.
  • stephl81
    stephl81 Posts: 122 Member
    Options

I think i WANT one of these. JK

I find that from a binge eating session I will gain sometimes up to 5 lbs overnight, but after one day of eating healthy and exercising again it goes back down. As long as you dont do it everyday, it will be fine.
  • Squeeks70
    Squeeks70 Posts: 157 Member
    Options

Me too.
  • nailqueen74
    nailqueen74 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I bet you will lose those 8 pounds in another day or so. Don't sweat the small stuff!
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Don't weigh yourself for a week, drink TONS of water and just go back to your normal healthy eating habits.

THEN step on the scale.

Trust me. :)

I like this suggestion. It seems reasonable.
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    You'll be okay. Like other people have said, it's the high sodium. It will also take a few days to be flushed out of your system so lock the scale up for a week and keep on track with your healthy eating.
  • mommyrox05
    mommyrox05 Posts: 238
    Options
    It probably was the sodium...I would say that it should be gone in a few days if you get yourself back on track with healthy foods and exercise. I will sometimes have a pretty big gain every once in a while especially if I eat ut or someone elses cooking (biggest was 5 lbs).
    Don't be too hard on yourself...we all have a binge day here and there, as we should! Hang in there lady...you can do this!
  • theladyy
    theladyy Posts: 176
    Options
    Zero out your scale...If you have one of the 'old fashioned' ones (and by that, I mean not digital), they usually have a little dial somewhere to make sure it's on zero each time. It can change your actual weight buy tons (obviously not literally :smile: ) if it's not on zero before you step on it.

There is absolutely no way you gained 8 lbs in one night, even if you have water retention.

What were the circumstances when you weighed that were different from the time you weighed before?
  • desert_rhino
    desert_rhino Posts: 104 Member
    Options

I had a couple hand fulls, thanks makes me feel better. At red lobster I had 2 biscuits and about 75% of a HALF portion of chicken linguine pasta.. That's it. Thats why I am so mad!

According to their menu, that's over 2,200 mg of sodium, assuming they didn't over-salt (which their cooks often do), and you didn't add any salt. Blurgh.