Whole Wheat Herb Bread Recipe

Options
SelkieGhost
SelkieGhost Posts: 115 Member
I posted this in another section, and figured I'd go ahead and post it here for any bread makers (or potential bread makers).

Not sure how this will translate to a bread maker (for those that use bread makers) - but here's the "by hand" recipe... This one is slightly modified from the recipe my mom gave me (before life took over and she lost the time to do so, when I was a small child she would bake all our bread on a daily basis). Her recipe used all purpose flour, and regular sugar - I usually use whole wheat and honey, and I normally toss in a few tablespoons of dried herbs.

This will yield two small loaves: and the nutritional content is as follows (And has been added to the food database as "Shannon's Homemade Herb Whole Wheat Bread":

(with each loaf broken into 12 slices, with 1 slice being a single serving)
Calories: 16
Sodium: 61 mg
Potassium: 57 mg
Total Carbs: 11 g
Dietary Fiber: 2 g
Protein: 2 g

1 1/4 cup water
1 packet of yeast
1 tsp sugar (or sucanet or honey or agave)
random herbs (optional)
3/4 tsp salt (or garlic salt)
aprox 3 1/8 cups whole wheat flour (but the exact amount will vary)

1. Let the tap water heat up, and then pour 1 1/4 cup war,/hot water into a large bowl. To this, add the packet of yeast and the sweetener (yeast will need a little of the sweetener to really get going). Cover with a hand towel and let sit for 5 minutes.

2. Add in 1 cup whole wheat flour, the salt, and if wanted, another tsp of sweetener, as well as any herbs you want to toss in (the specifics vary for me depending on what I have on hand and what I feel like). Gently mix this up and then cover with towel for 30 minutes.

3. Little by little, stir in the flour until a spoon won't stir it - then turn out on a floured surface and slowly add more flour in, kneading as you go. The goal is to get a soft, pliable dough that does not stick. I kept track of the amount of flour I used last time I made this (so as to calculate the calories), and counting the 1 cup of starter flour, it shouldn't be much more than 3 cups total used.

4. When done kneading (about 10 minutes or so), divide dough into two sections... roll gently to elongate them a little (but do not pull to do so). Place two small dough loaves into greased loaf pans (or can place both on a greased cookie sheet for a more unformed look). Cover with a towel and let rise 45 minutes.

5. While bread is rising, pre-heat oven to 375 F. At the end of 45 minute rising, pop both loaves into the oven and bake for 40 minutes.

Replies

• randyanderson
    Options
    Looks awesome...I'm going to try and make it. I never bake bread, but was thinking about trying a whole wheat recipe so this is perfect!

Thanks for sharing!!
  • tazspastic
    tazspastic Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm going home to try this! I have missed bread sooooo much! THANKS!!!
  • AlannaPie
    AlannaPie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I love making bread THANK YOU!
  • AlannaPie
    Options
    By my math it's 60 cal a serving...
  • tazspastic
    tazspastic Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    By my math it's 60 cal a serving...

Hmmm mine too... bummer, I was totally looking forward to more than one piece of bread.... :grumble:

Oh well, I'm still gonna try it out anyway... if nothing else, the house will smell delicious! :tongue:
  • SelkieGhost
    Options
    wow... Normally I'm much better at math... I'm completely baffled by how I messed up so grossly here lol... the only thing I can think of is maybe I did a brain dump and counted calories on the 1/4 cup, not the full cup... But - the protein and fat and fiber all look right... Clearly I shouldn't be allowed near the calorie counting areas again... lol.
  • McFatterton
    McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    bump
  • stephcheers
    Options
    This would be really good with the soup recipes that are on another thread. It must be Fall because homemade bread and soup sounds delicious.

:bigsmile:
  • SkinnyJess
    SkinnyJess Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    bump :wink:
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    In the winter I make all of our bread, so "bump!" :smooched:
  • ready4change
    ready4change Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Wow -- this sounds delicious!

How much yeast would be in one packet? I have a large bag of yeast, and I'm assuming that it's not the huge bag. =) I've seen the small packets in the store, but I think it's so silly to buy 3 little packets when it costs MUCH less to buy the big bag and store it in the freezer.
  • AlannaPie
    Options
    This makes a really great pizza crust! I filled it with rosemary, thyme, and basil
  • ready4change
    ready4change Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    When making the pizza crust, do you let it rise those 45 minutes, or do you just use that dough that you mixed up and roll it out as pizza crust?
  • LindaMee
    Options
    thanks for the recipe!
  • SelkieGhost
    Options
    If I could buy bulk yeast - believe me, I would! sadly - Guam stores appear limited in the types of things they sell... all I've been able to find are the small packets - or the small jars of the rapid rise... But I don't like working with rapid rise yeast... so packets it is... a packet contains about 2 tsps I think... maybe a tad bit more...?
  • McFatterton
    Options
    I think I'm going to try this out for homemade pizza for my husband and myself tonight - do you think it would be ok to freeze half of the dough? And if so, at what point do you freeze? Before or after the 45 minute rise?

Thanks!
  • stephcheers
    Options
    I made this bread last night to have with dinner and the whole time it was baking my kids kept asking if I was baking pizza. :laugh:

I think it actually would be great as a pizza crust. It is pretty dense. I'm looking forward to eating the second loaf tonight with my homemade chicken wild rice soup.

*** The loaves are pretty small and my family of 5 finished a whole loaf at one meal.
  • McFatterton
    Options
    Making this tonight for homemade pizzas during the game. LOVE this recipe!
  • blakgarnet
    Options
    bump
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Bump