Lifting routine ok?

Options
2»

Replies

• Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't really recommend compound lifts for beginners, keep it simple for a while. I hate machines but they are good for beginners because they can help teach you proper form.

Wait a minute ....Wha?

Compund lifts are just Squats, Deadlifts, Bench Press, Pull ups/Rows, Overhead Press

That should be the only thing any beginner is doing!

Edit to add: Now supersets would be something to add...after you got the form down ,and know your limits...
    Sorry, basic compound lifts are fine, but whoever posted the video about the squat press is reaching a little. Start with the squat and the overhead press, but wait until you're a little bit more experienced before you combine them.
  • crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options
    personally, I'm not a fan of this program, but here's a disclaimer - I love to lift! I'm an athletic trainer, which means I deal with dumb athletes, and long hours...so here's a couple things I to get a short but intense workout

1. Compound lifts (ie. a squat press - here's an example - http://www.livestrong.com/video/5314-dumbbell-squat-press/)

2. Super sets - this keeps me from getting bored in the weight room and allows for less actual rest. For example if you do a set of bicep curls and then a set of tricep extensions, you can move straight into the next exercise because while your biceps are working your tris rest, and vice versa

3. active rest periods - on an arms/shoulder day for example, I will do 3 super sets of 8 or so lifts. However, in between my super sets I will do a super set of ab exercises. This still allows time for my arms to recover while still maintaining an elevated heart rate.

And if running is a concern...look into different forms of cardio. I really enjoy rowing, but swimming is also a great low impact form of cardio.

I hope this helps, and if you'd like some more help, feel free to ask!

No Fair ...you copied my essay and added more fluff.... :wink:

You're just jealous that I had a more complete answer to this:wink:

Sorry I can't help it that I'm amazingly smart and have an awesome program that I created for myself...

Dag nabit!...I will ruin your program.. Muahahahaha :devil:

Ruin it? Oh please, could you even handle it?

Uh...Yeah...this is my warm up...What!

terry_crews_euro_training_gif_by_mr_joseph_no_one-d2z9t9w.gif

oooh...can you teach me that move???
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't really recommend compound lifts for beginners, keep it simple for a while. I hate machines but they are good for beginners because they can help teach you proper form.

Wait a minute ....Wha?

Compund lifts are just Squats, Deadlifts, Bench Press, Pull ups/Rows, Overhead Press

Edit to add: Now supersets would be something to add...after you got the form down ,and know your limits...
    Sorry, basic compound lifts are fine, but whoever posted the video about the squat press is reaching a little. Start with the squat and the overhead press, but wait until you're a little bit more experienced before you combine them.

oh yea...no doubt...I would mos def not do the squat and overhead press combined...as a newbie...

infact that threw my shoulder out when I first got started...had me benched for a month.
  • crobl
    Options

Wait a minute ....Wha?

The person that posted that video? Is a nationally certified health care professional. She knows what she's talking about. But she appreciates your advice! (NOT) She actually teaches beginners how to do them, because it's not really that hard. And besides, it was an example of a compound lift, not a mandated exercise.
  • crobl
    Options

Wait a minute ....Wha?

oh yea...no doubt...I would mos def not do the squat and overhead press combined...as a newbie...

infact that threw my shoulder out when I first got started...had me benched for a month.

That's why you need to be on my workouts =)
  • Roadie2000
    Options

Can you tell me which machine would teach proper form for a squat or deadlift or target multiple muscle groups and engage stabilizer muscles?

I'm sorry, but this is not accurate, at all.
    Fair enough, but I'm not about to tell someone that's never lifted a weight before to go bench or squat using freeweights. All I'm saying is to start off easy, don't hurt yourself.
  • crobl
    Options

Can you tell me which machine would teach proper form for a squat or deadlift or target multiple muscle groups and engage stabilizer muscles?

Fair enough, but I'm not about to tell someone that's never lifted a weight before to go bench or squat using freeweights. All I'm saying is to start off easy, don't hurt yourself.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with starting off with free weight exercises. A beginner can easily and safely do a bench press with free weights....the free weights isn't the problem, it's using too heavy of a weight. The video I posted as an example that has set people up in arms can easily be done with 5lb weights or no weights at all. The only reason it is advanced in my workouts is that I use bigger weights.

My intention of showing that video was to show that you can combine exercises in order to utilize time, which since the person who started this thread didn't really like to lift, is actually an effective piece of information. To show you all that not all compound exercises are the devil - here are a few beginner options.

1. squats (yes, this is a compound exercise)
    2. lunges (yup, this one too)
    3. backwards lunges (woah, now this was getting crazy)
    4. jumping jacks (I better stop here before someone things I'm an idiot)
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options

Wait a minute ....Wha?

That's why you need to be on my workouts =)

No doubt! :smile:
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options

I agree that some might hurt themselves when not performing the lifts correctly. But, like crobl said, that is due to getting ahead of themselves with amount of weight being lifted before learning proper form.
  • Roadie2000
    Options
    I don't disagree with anything y'all are saying. That was kind of my point from the beginning, don't start too heavy and focus on form, because people seem to skip that part. Apparently I didn't get my point across very well.
  • Rockstar1951
    Options
    celtsguy - I had plantar fascitis earlier this year. I'm 60, so healing takes a bit longer, but I did what the doc said:
    1. Stay off my feet for 3-5 days (used crutches even to go to/from the bathroom and bed)
    2. Take twice the recommended dosage of ibuprofen for about a week for pain and inflammation. (It was so bad the doc gave me vicodin, but I didn't take it.)
    3. When you start to feel better and can put a good degree of weight on your feet, start with PF exercises (Google plantar fascitis and exercises). They're basic stretching and strengthening exercises, and they worked for me. Within a week to 10 days, I was back to walking decent distances, and after 2-3 weeks, back in the old routine.

Personally, there's no way I would have done squats (or anything holding weights while standing) when the PF was bad - too much danger of either re-injuring/inflaming the foot or favoring the foot and damaging a tendon some where else.

May not be what you want to hear. Just saying this worked for me. Good luck!
  • celtsguy81
    celtsguy81 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have tried squats and deadlifts before. I have found on the Squats I feel like I'm doing it wrong, or not using enough weight, or I almost fall over. It's not the most confidence-building exercise.

The deadlifts are ok except my back is always hurting and my hands feel like the skin is going to rip off. I think I have city hands too much and need some more time building up to it. haha
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I have tried squats and deadlifts before. I have found on the Squats I feel like I'm doing it wrong, or not using enough weight, or I almost fall over. It's not the most confidence-building exercise.

The deadlifts are ok except my back is always hurting and my hands feel like the skin is going to rip off. I think I have city hands too much and need some more time building up to it. haha

Try reading up on proper form for squats and deadlifts. Starting Strength is a great book. I think there's about 100 pages dedicated to JUST the squat alone. And probably 50 more for the deadlift. Things like grip strength will come in time, but if your back hurts or you feel off balance, you're either doing it wrong or you're just not used to it. Food for thought.
  • redcat17
    redcat17 Posts: 267 Member
    Options

Try reading up on proper form for squats and deadlifts. Starting Strength is a great book. I think there's about 100 pages dedicated to JUST the squat alone. And probably 50 more for the deadlift. Things like grip strength will come in time, but if your back hurts or you feel off balance, you're either doing it wrong or you're just not used to it. Food for thought.

Yeah, I'd recommend Starting Strength to anyone. No matter how heavy or light you're lifting, its a great book to learn form. I just got back to lifting after not doing so for 5 or 6 years and I thought I had pretty good form. Turns out I was wrong, but luckily I got the book and learned the proper way to do a squat. Its extra-important if you're over 40 like I am. Good form prevents injuries.
  • celtsguy81
    celtsguy81 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    So... I guess one question I have about form (and I'll check out that book) is when I am doing the leg press machine. Instead of my legs remaining perfectly parallel, knees close together, my knees always bow way out when I let the weight come down. Someone told me that I could just be set up that way (my bones are sort of off angle)... does anyone have this problem? And if so is it OK to keep doing it? Or am I going to end up hurting myself?