What results have you had from kettlebells?

Options
emmab0902
emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
I have just been introduced to the kettlebell swing by my man, but am doing it with a dumbbell for now! However it has inspired me to consider investing in a kettlebell or two so am wondering....

1) what sort of weights (in lbs) are good starters?
2) what results have you had from solely using kettlebells or adding them to your existing workouts?
3) are there any really good dvds or guides for beginners?

I am not very strong - currently doing the swing with two 4kg dumbbells - can do one set of 50 then much less reps after that!

Oh and also very interested if anyone has done kettlebell swings etc with a HRM - how many calories does it burn?

Replies

• almarsala
    almarsala Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    bump
  • PhenomeNae
    PhenomeNae Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    i'd start with a 8kg bell if i were you... then work your way up to a 10kg. working with bells is going to give you an amazing booty and legs, and a really strong core. make sure you concentrate on form or it won't give you all the benefits it should.

look up the dvds by Sarah Lurie... she's really good, and she takes into account that women would benefit greatly from it. I used to do kettlebells about 5 - 6 times a week, in her la jolla studio, for about 5 months. during that time i lost about 50 pounds of fat, dropped 7% of my bf. I had a long further to go, but i couldn't afford the classes anymore :\
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I use kettlebells at the gym. LOVE them.

I'm up to the 42kg bells for deadlifting. Swinging 20kg.

I am really interested in learning which weights are the best for home use too. =)
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I do kettlebells about 3x week. I usually burn 400-500 calories in an hour. I take classes though so the calorie burn is based on who is teaching it, if we do mountain climbers & burpees, an ab workout, squats, etc.

I've been doing it for about 4 weeks now. The weights I'm using are 18lb (for one arm presses, etc), 10kg, 12kg, and 14kg. I noticed on Saturday morning that what I thought was my heavy is now too light for 2 arm swings and dead lifts. I will be going up to a 16kg next time for heavy to see how I do.
  • sleepyjean88
    sleepyjean88 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I want to try kettlebells, they look amazing and kind of fun, I've been playing with one in my local sports shop, I so want to buy it haha
  • pinkwhisk
    pinkwhisk Posts: 41
    Options
    start with a 8kg kettlebell, and expect painful hamstrings!!
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I just bought 2 books from Amazon on kettle bells:

kettle bells for women by Lauren Brooks. And
    http://www.ontheedgefitness.com/

The Swing by Tracy Reifkind
    http://tracysfoodandthought.blogspot.com.au/

Tracy's 100 lb weight loss story:
    http://giryastrength.com/pdf/Vitalics.pdf

Just read first one by Lauen - really good. Really important to get form correct.
  • sgmomma
    sgmomma Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I'm buying a set of 3 5, 10, 15 lbs my kettlebell dvd should be here any day cant wait to start!
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I'm buying a set of 3 5, 10, 15 lbs my kettlebell dvd should be here any day cant wait to start!

What program are you doing with it? Are you just going to do your own thing.

Bump.
  • Jo2926
    Jo2926 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I love kettle bells! The exercises are much different when you actually use a bell - something to do with centre of gravity i THINK, but I could be talking rubbish!

I add them to my usual routine, a few times a week for about 10 mins at a time. When I use them I find I have a tighter core area and tend to drop weight a bit quicker.

Try googling 'hardstyle kettlebells' and you'll find lots of good info for beginners.

ps - edited to add I have a 4kg and 8kg bell. The four kg bell is much too light now, but good for learning new moves. I'd recommend starting with 8kgs minimum
  • jjelizalde
    jjelizalde Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Bob Harper has a really good beginner kettlebell program.
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Ha, I feel wimpy after reading this thread. I started doing Shred it With Weights this month and I use a 10lb. kettlebell (in the video, JM recommends starting with 3-8 lbs.)
  • skullik
    skullik Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Bump for later!
  • 40Marbles
    40Marbles Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Love, Love, Love my kettlebells!

The Swing by Tracy Reifkind is a great place to start. She also posts a lot of workouts on youtube, including one of the best instructional videos I've seen on how to choose the proper size. I've recently seen her book available in my library system - so there's an opportunity to try before you buy. I think the first chapter or so is available as a free preview on Amazon as well.

Artofstrength.com is another good resource. Anthony Diluglio posts "Minute Of Strength" videos which are very helpful.
  • AmyB69
    AmyB69 Posts: 117
    Options
    Bump for later! Just bought the 10
  • kyrasmum
    kyrasmum Posts: 50
    Options
    I personally started with a 6kg bell and soon worked up to an 8. I think you can also buy adjustable bells.
    I have a lot of DVD's and think my favourite one is Lauren Brooks ultimate body sculpt and conditioning volume 2.
    The results I have had are amazing. Got so much muscle definition in just 4 weeks and am so much stronger. I have tried getting into exercising for years, but just never really got myself motivated to stick at anything. I'm hooked on kettlebells though, love it!
  • ebonyroche
    ebonyroche Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • PipBnz
    PipBnz Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    i just got my first kettlebell, decided to start at 10kg......i only do what my trainer years ago had me doing, swings 5 sets of 20 swings....first day and i remember why i loved training with them so much before, the next day my hamstrings ached so bad, but the feeling that i've worked so many muscles is amazing.
    Does anyone have any links to good sites that have pics but not videos for new exercises?
    (my internet is too slow to run videos/youtube etc)
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Personally I think if you can do 50 swings with 8kg's you should be able to swing a 12kg kettlebell - don't swing it higher than your shoulders - the action should be in your legs and butt - not in your arms....

If I remember correctly you are in New Zealand - go to Rebel sport - they have a big range of KB's and try them out before you buy - dont go to light - rather do 20 / 25 reps - and do a few sets.

I incorporate KB swings in my leg routine - I also used to do KB shoulder presses - but have shoulder issues at the moment - so not allowed any lifts above my shoulders - for those you need lighter weights - 5 or 6kg's from memory...
  • coppertop_4
    coppertop_4 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I was just gifted a set purchased on amazon
    There are 3: 10lbs 15lbs and 20lbs.
    There are TONS of video's on youtube
    I feel stronger already!