Made these for 4yr old's birthday treats for daycare...

Options

Replies

• EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Paleo, are you kidding me? It's a birthday treat. I feed my kids fruit, veggies, lean meats and whole grains. But I am not a mean enough mom to not allow delicious treats for birthdays. That's why it's called a treat, not a food.

Yesterday, for his birthday party, they had cake and they had strawberries and blueberries at the party after bouncing. They all ate the fruit too.

If you don't get to eat stuff like this every once in a while as a kid, when do you get to eat it?

Forgive her.. she's hungry and cranky from not eating enough.

They look great! And honestly, pretzels with a little dip of chocolate and some candy is not that bad! It could be a 12oz family size bag of m&ms for each kid I mean come on.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I've noticed a pattern on threads of 100% 'clean' eaters being cranky. Lol. These look like a awesome birthday treat, sure they'll love them. Much better than a store bought cupcake! X
  • cardiokitten
    cardiokitten Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    soo yummy!
  • Ralphrabbit
    Ralphrabbit Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    It is ridiculous that people can not distinguish between a treat & good healthy food. The reason I got here was because I made bad choices. The junk is always out there & making some nice stuff for your kid's birthday is a great thing to do. It's taken me 50 years to make good food choices but while having fun. If we take all choices away from out kids they will have the same trouble!
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Can I ask why? You are feeding them nothing but crap, white flour, sugar and more sugar.

SMH - Sorry, but this irritates me to no end.

Why not a huge fruit salad or something that has some actual nutrition for small growing bodies and developing bones and brains?????

Shut up. It's the kids birthday, get over it. What? Have you never eaten chocolate EVER before in your life? If not........that's pretty sad.

I think they look great, I'm sure the kids will love them!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    OP I think the kids will love them. Very cute and very sweet of you to make them. :smile:
  • radosti1
    radosti1 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I got the idea one day when I took the kids to the zoo. I have a deluxe membership that allows me to bring in visitors with me. There was a line to get in and a line for the tickets. There were two moms with 3 kids in a wagon who accidentally got into the wrong line. We were a few feet from the entrance when they figured it out (I wasn't eavesdropping, they were just right behind me). And they were totally frustrated with themselves for not paying closer attention and now would have to go to the back of the ticket line and start over again. I told them not to worry about it and they could just be my guests to get in.

They were both super grateful and one of the moms reached into her lunch bag and pulled out these 3 totally decadent looking chocolate pretzels with 3 types of chips on them (white, dark and caramel). She asked me if she could give them to my kids as a thank you. My kids have not had these before simply because I never thought to buy them. They all got so excited, took them and thanked her like exemplary children. Then, they demolished them. I thought I'd get a bite left over from one of them, but nope, they inhaled them.

This was in April. I decided to make them for the birthday treat since when I asked what he'd like, the first thing out of his mouth was "Remember those chocolate pretzels the lady gave us at the zoo?"
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    Those look wonderful! No they aren't healthy, but its for a birthday, not an everyday treat. Let the kids have some fun and enjoy them!
  • NYAngel1089
    NYAngel1089 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Those look delicious!! I will have to remember this for when I have kids. Birthdays are such a special celebration, they deserve something special! Happy Birthday to your 4yro, I bet your kid and all the kids at daycare will LOVE them
  • 1WorkoutAtATime
    Options
    Paleo, are you kidding me? It's a birthday treat. I feed my kids fruit, veggies, lean meats and whole grains. But I am not a mean enough mom to not allow delicious treats for birthdays. That's why it's called a treat, not a food.

Yesterday, for his birthday party, they had cake and they had strawberries and blueberries at the party after bouncing. They all ate the fruit too.

If you don't get to eat stuff like this every once in a while as a kid, when do you get to eat it?

well said!
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    Seriously, its a birthday treat...one per kid...probably after lunch time too
  • shoegal517
    shoegal517 Posts: 56 Member
    Options

They look great! And honestly, pretzels with a little dip of chocolate and some candy is not that bad! It could be a 12oz family size bag of m&ms for each kid I mean come on.

I'd be cranky if I ate like a caveman too :) to each their own, I suppose but that would be TORTURE for me
    Forgive her.. she's hungry and cranky from not eating enough.
  • AshleyPaige1987
    AshleyPaige1987 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I thought this whole site was to encourage, inspire people and meet new friends not to say mean things to people. How rude of you who posted the mean comments. I learnt in Kinderarten if you don't anything nice to say don't say it all and I think that's what you need to do. By the way radosti1 I think they look delicous and hope your son had a wonderful birthday. :)
  • kalkat
    kalkat Posts: 48
    Options
    I think they look like a yummy treat for the kids! I wish more moms would bring in treats like that instead of store bought cupcakes! Plus my daughter says they look gooooood :) not too much sweet.

We had a bake sale to benefit the high school winter guard and the chocolate dipped pretzels sold out before the brownies and cookies.
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I know someone who makes theirs kids birthday cakes but won't put frosting on it. Not for any dietary reason, just because she doesn't want her kids having much sugar.

I am all for not having a lot of sugar and I actually enjoy my homemade cake so much I don't even think it needs frosting, which used to be the only reason I ate cake! But...its their birthday. They can't have frosting on their cake for even their birthday? Even a thin layer?

I think the bigger deal you make of not allowing them to have certain foods, the more they want them. I think teaching your children when its appropriate and how to eat a balanced diet is much more helpful. I definitely find the more I "allow" myself to eat whatever, the more the novelty wears off and the less I want those things......well, maybe the more that I can eat one cookie and be satisfied verses in the past I would want to eat 50 and still not be satisfied.

I have 3 daughters of my own and it seems to work fine for them. Candy and sweets are no big deal to them, usually they eat half a cookie or piece of cake and walk away from a bag of candy because they know they can have it so they have a small amount then move on. They eat healthy meals and snacks and yes, sometimes they do have a piece of cake or two, a day of junk eating such as Christmas or some other Holiday but they know (the oldest two anyway) t,hat its a couple times a year thing, not an every day thing.

Oh and I run an in home daycare and have some birthdays coming up. I think that would be a great idea instead of cupcakes and I will turn it into an activity where they can make them themselves. My daycare kids don't get much junk here since I know they get all that at home, but not only do I know my parents won't minds, the kids will really enjoy this!
  • radosti1
    Options
    I wanted to say thank you to everyone who offered support. I was shocked by the initial responses to say the least. So, I really appreciate those of you who took the time to say something positive.
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Looks good! You have a lucky kid :flowerforyou:

Don't mind all the omg-how-can-you-feed-your-kid-that-crap crows. Good lord, they're children and you're feeding them pretzels and chocolate, not toxic waste. Kids can afford to have some empty calories, they run around like the Energizer Bunny anyway (at least mine do!)
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    o_o'

Must...not...attempt to reach through computer screen...

Must...resist...pretzels...
  • radosti1
    Options
    So, I handed them over today. They had them in the afternoon. They all got one and everyone LOVED them. The teachers had some too. There were 6 left and they all had M&M's on them. When I asked the teacher if the kids didn't like the M&M ones, she said they didn't give those to the kids because they were afraid the kids would choke... ok. So, I walked over to the toddler room my daughter is in and offered the teachers there the pretzels. They all happily grabbed one each. I brought 3 home... So, they were a huge success. On the ride home my son kept telling me how much everyone LOVED the pretzels.
  • isweatglitter
    Options
    Yum! Can I have some?