less salty taco seasoning???

Options
Abrowe313
Abrowe313 Posts: 189 Member
anyone know of any? or how to make my own? weve tried alot of different ones and they are all super salty... no bueno!

Replies

• LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I usually buy Ortega low sodium seasoning. I can't really tell the difference, and it's like .75 a pack! :)
  • Jessie544
    Jessie544 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    we buy the ortega "40% less sodium" packs... they're much better... more of a spice-y taste.... and the "cheddar taco" seasoning is pretty good
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Ingredients

1 tbs chili powder
    1/4 tsp oregano
    1/4 tsp garlic powder
    1/4 tsp onion powder
    1/4 tsp cayenne
    1/2 tsp paprika
    2 tsp ground cumin

1/8 tsp mustard powder (optional... I can't stand the slimy yellow mustard from squeeze bottles but the powder.... yeah I'm good with that)

mix it up... add more chili if you like it... add more or less cayenne, toss some chipotle in there if you've got it.. adjust to taste...
    as long as you skip things like "lemon pepper" where the first ingredient of that spice is "salt" you should be able to do your spice with no salt added....
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I use frontier no salt taco seasoning or I make my own.
  • robinmltn
    robinmltn Posts: 11
    Options
    I usually try to make my own but the Mrs. Dash brand has a lot of salt-free spices. The one I have is like a chipotle seasoning and if you add some cumin + garlic powder I think it makes a pretty good taco seasoning.
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Ingredients

1 tbs chili powder
    1/4 tsp garlic powder or granulated
    1/4 tsp onion powder
    1/4 tsp cayenne
    1/4 tsp dried oregano
    1/2 tsp paprika
    2 tsp ground cumin

mix it up... add more chili if you like it... add more or less cayenne, toss some chipotle in there if you've got it.. adjust to taste...
    as long as you skip things like "lemon pepper" where the first ingredient of that spice is "salt" you should be able to do your spice with no salt added....

This is so close to what I make. Have you ever tried Mexican Oregano? It's wonderful and the only one I use now no matter what I'm making.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I haven't yet but I may well look into it, always looking for "new" spices to flavour up the food now that I don't plaster everything with salt.
  • CeeRawr89
    CeeRawr89 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp cumin
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp chili powder
    1 tsp paprika
    1/2 tsp oregano

adjust amounts to suit your needs
  • amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Now I want to make tacos! :love:
  • neaneawy
    neaneawy Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic to MSG, so I use very few prepackaged seasonings. I love lots and lots of plain black pepper on ground meat and just salt it to your taste. It's my favorite easy taco filling.
  • bfmcfade
    bfmcfade Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Try www. Penzeys.com. Not sure if they have a Salt-free taco seasoning but they have a lot of salt-free seasonings for other things
  • bunnyklutz
    bunnyklutz Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I use alton brown's recipe but I do not add the salt and cornstarch. I used a smoked paprika and just up the cayenne pepper a little. If I want salt, I season the meat/veggies its going on that way I can control how much goes on (more for flavor purposes than health concerns). You can add the cornstarch in if you want for meats, to make the sauce a little thicker but I find its really not that necessary.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/taco-potion-19-recipe/index.html
  • Danam48
    Danam48 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Penzey's has a salt free southwest taco type seasoning called Arizona Dreaming. It is amazing!
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    make sure you're using mexican chili powder in the recipe..much better than regular chili powder :) to me at least

try a few recipes for homemade taco seasing and play with it until you find one you prefer. its not hard and you can make it in a large batch then scoop out as needed.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I make my own very similarly to the recipe linked above. Then to use it for fajitas, I just add some liquid smoke.
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    mccormick has a low sodium one..it's in an orange envelope :)
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp cumin
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp chili powder
    1 tsp paprika
    1/2 tsp oregano

adjust amounts to suit your needs

This is similar to how I make mine. I also add chopped fresh cilantro and pepper
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Ingredients

1 tbs chili powder
    1/4 tsp garlic powder or granulated
    1/4 tsp onion powder
    1/4 tsp cayenne
    1/4 tsp dried oregano
    1/2 tsp paprika
    2 tsp ground cumin

This is so close to what I make. Have you ever tried Mexican Oregano? It's wonderful and the only one I use now no matter what I'm making.

Another yummy spice: smoked paprika. So good. Reminds you of BBQ chips in the best possible way. Excellent seasoning for eggs. And potatoes. And roasted chickpeas.