Poopin'

Options

Replies

• Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options
    I sometimes have the same problem. It doesn't seem to always be associated with what I eat though because it will cure itself for months at a time and I don't seem to do anything different.

But, a sure food remedy is Raisin Bran. Yes, probably a lot of sugar but it can be fit in.
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    SO... I was just wondering...My father always said " fiber is super important" and one should use the bathroom to " #2" at LEAST 2 times a day, if not more.

Um.. I can't go that often

How regular is regular? I have been trying to get fibers in my diet.. but... poopin' aint easy!

personally, it sounds like your dad might be a laid back version of what some nurses call a "bowel baby". These "bowel babies" as grown adults were fixated on going #2, and the worst of them actually thought that horrible things would happen if they missed a *normal* #2

I do believe that "normal" varies for each person, but could be anywhere from several times a day to once every few days. Not to be graphic, but if you have to strain a lot to produce one, you probably do need more fiber in your diet. I have heard fiber referred to in the context of being the "broom" that sweeps the bowels clean. If you try and incorporate things in their more natural, unprocessed state into your diet, your fiber intake will go up without as much effort. Simple switches like whole grain breads and veggies can do this. Wheat germ has a 1g of fiber and 1.5g of protein per tablespoon... Sunflower seeds are almost all fiber--my youngest son scared the daylights out of me when he was about 2. I changed a dirty diaper, and it looked REALLY odd. An hour or so later it dawned on me that the #2 had looked like it was made up of tiny seeds...and he had eaten probably 1/4 cup or more of sunflower seeds the day before!

oh lordy! maybe some sunflower seeds would do me good lol
  • July
    July Posts: 239
    Options
    4 stalks of celery a day works for me. And it stops me from being hungry.
    once a day is enough. Every read Skinny *****? Great book - so funny about poopin'!
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    once a day is enough. Every read Skinny *****? Great book - so funny about poopin'!

I have heard about it!! Everyone loves it! I need to check it out.
  • iwantahealthierme13
    iwantahealthierme13 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Every other day for me usually.
  • sapphireblu64
    Options
    This Queen is loyal to her throne. I sit upon it everyday. :embarassed:
  • Sililily115
    Options
    I go once every other to every two days, and feel fine :P
    Also I just looked through my diary and I usually get 25-30 fiber a day, so I think thats good
  • hummingbirdxss
    hummingbirdxss Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I too use the coconut oil. I cook with it and even put a small teaspoon in my hot coffee in the mornings. Has helped 100 percent !! And it has amazing other benefits too !! Do some research...you will be surprised !!!
  • VanessaMFaulkner
    Options
    Fiber only constipated me more. A good daily 500mg of magnesium (i actually take 2) a day will regulate you, helps the nervous system, & muscle relaxation. Now...I go every day...a few times. Before it wasn't unusually for me to go DAYS even a cpl WEEKS without a good BM.

If constipated, there is a magnesium powder called CALM which can be found in health stores, a glass every night or when needed will work by morning/keep you regular & helps for a good nights rest ;)
  • patriciaannbibo
    patriciaannbibo Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Make sure your drinking enough water . It makes a big difference. Also add lots of fruits and Vegetables in your diet.
  • jhigg11
    jhigg11 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I go 2 or more times a day everyday. I try to get enough fiber in with fruit (red fruits are supposedly good for digestive health) or dried fruit is also a great source, oatmeal - love the stuff, kashi cereal is delcious, fiber one is great, and I also like whole wheat english muffins. I try to get my fiber in the morning, because all my listed items are rich in carbs. Then I turn the tables and try for more protein in the afternoon and evening. :-) Happy Digesting. lol!
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    beans, lots of um, or ezekel cearal...just soke it in milk a wile, or youll lose a tooth or three
  • aoikirin
    aoikirin Posts: 143
    Options
    If you are constipated you might also consider tweaking the amount of red meat in your diet. Meat, particularly red meat, is very very constipating.
  • Fit_SailorsWife
    Fit_SailorsWife Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Flaxseeds!
  • Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    My gastro and doctors clarified that if you go once every few days it's good...lol. I had asked because I thought that every other day or third day was normal but then my sister informed me that you go daily or every meal and I thought she was nuts. Most peeps strive for daily it's good for you to not have it sit in there much longer than that. Every meal is a bit much and is someone with either IBS (lol) or super fast metabolism.

I know all this because my son has food allergies and it caused constipation and he would go weeks without it and the doctors had NO concern (but I did!). Apparantly you CAN go weeks..frickin' nuts. But thank god we are way past that now, he is regular 2-3x per week and that's as much as I can ask for plus TOO MUCH INFO! I know!
  • Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Yoga used to really do it for me! lol.

My son would be backed up for so many days, I don't even want to remember. His saving grace is Digestive Enzymes after every meal...no joke.
  • wanderlust23
    Options
    It's ideal to poop 3 times a day, like one for each meal, but twice a day is good too :)
  • deannalynne73
    deannalynne73 Posts: 105 Member
    Options

I have heard about it!! Everyone loves it! I need to check it out.

I need to check it out too! And the fiber gummies, never heard of them before now!! :)
  • nannabannana
    nannabannana Posts: 787
    Options
    put a teaspoon of mineral oil in a fruit smoothie. Done deal...and drink tons of water.

bump for all ideas

I have tried all the cereals mentioned. I have tried castor oil, metamucil tablets, cascara sagrada and everything anyone has ever suggested. I drink TONS OF water...and eat a lot of fiber. I. I am going to take a tsp of cocomut oil starting today. I know it is good for so many things. If that doesn't work...I only go about every 8-9 days and I know its not healthy for me, but seriously this is a real problem for me.Thanks for the info.
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    When I was preggers with my daughter, i was on iron pills that made me very constipated and my OB told me to eat Fiber One and boy did it work!