Heart Disease: A Woman's Disease

Options
Elizabeth_C34
Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
Very good video discussing the implications of the recent increase in prevalence and mortality of heart disease in women.

http://www.ted.com/talks/noel_bairey_merz_the_single_biggest_health_threat_women_face.html

Heart disease now kills more women at every age class than breast cancer.

This is a really must-watch video for women and the men who love us.

Replies

• adampk17
    adampk17 Posts: 15
    Options
    Ya can't let us men have anything, can you ladies?

lol, j/k
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    Ya can't let us men have anything, can you ladies?

lol, j/k

HAHA! I'm pretty sure you don't want heart disease.... not good.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    bump for those who didn't see it yet.
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    A good friend of mine lost her mom to heart disease...it's so important to know about this!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    A good friend of mine lost her mom to heart disease...it's so important to know about this!

It is a really serious problem, and one that is being ignored, sadly, far too much.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Liz, you're so smart and so cool. Thank you for sharing this with us. I'm so glad you're my friend.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    Love TED talks. I'll check this out when I get home.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    Liz, you're so smart and so cool. Thank you for sharing this with us. I'm so glad you're my friend.

:heart:
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    I feel a need to bump this topic again.

So often on this site, we see young people who are overweight express that they are fit even though they are overweight because they don't have heart disease or bad blood tests. The thing to know is that these things accumulate. So if you're 20 and already starting to accumulate the beginnings of high cholesterol, the begininngs of arterial plaque, that's a problem. You're subclinical, but you're approaching a tipping point. And if you're a woman, this video compellingly makes the case that medicine currently doesn't see heart disease in you and your sisters until it is too late.

So this is important stuff. It is important to exercise and eat right long long long before you have indicators of a problem in your blood tests.
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I have not watched the video yet, i am limited to my phone right now, I am recovering from a scad heart attack that I had over the weekend. It had nothing to do with diet, but may have been due to the heavy weights, no way to know for sure. I started having chest pains Saturday morning and threw up, almost passed out. I had dh take me to the er and by Monday morning had two stents put in. Please, if you ever have chest pains, please do not ignore it.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I have not watched the video yet, i am limited to my phone right now, I am recovering from a scad heart attack that I had over the weekend. It had nothing to do with diet, but may have been due to the heavy weights, no way to know for sure. I started having chest pains Saturday morning and threw up, almost passed out. I had dh take me to the er and by Monday morning had two stents put in. Please, if you ever have chest pains, please do not ignore it.
    Good advice, but people should be aware that most heart attacks don't even involve chest pains.
  • sk2775
    sk2775 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Good advice, but people should be aware that most heart attacks don't even involve chest pains.

So true. Especially for women....our symptoms are rarely chest pain...the symptoms that women commonly feel are back pain, numbness on the ride side of your arm and tiredness.