I will admit... I am SCARED to lose weight!! *possible TMI?

Options
I have a bad history of losing weight = getting pregnant!! I have PCOS and so it seems that when I start losing weight it balances out my hormones and I ovulate and BAM! Pregnancy right when I'm starting to lose weight again!

My first child was conceived sometime after I was first diagnosed with PCOS and my OB/GYN told me to do the Atkins diet to lose weight and keep from becoming pre-diabetic. I also joined a gym and worked out 4-5 nights a week. 30 lbs lost later and I popped a positive pregnancy test!! Doh!

My second child was conceived after I joined another gym and started working out again and I lost about 10 lbs and got another positive test!

I don't "do" hormonal birth control. It doesn't work for me and my body so we use PNP but man am I scared I will end up pregnant again and we do not want anymore kids!!

Replies

• victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try an iud? Some of the copper ones don't have hormones.
  • MisanthropeKitty
    Options

I used the Mirena after my first child and packed on a LOT of weight... it also caused killer ovulation pains and cramping. I'm scared to try the copper IUD and have the same issues!!
  • iwantahealthierme13
    iwantahealthierme13 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    What's PNP?

If you don't want any more kids, use condoms, get your tubes tied or ask your partner to get a vasectomy. Getting pregnant has no correlation to losing weight, it just seems that way because it happened that way.

I can't use bc either; not being able to use bc shouldn't mean you have to pop out children (I'm child-free!) Just be more careful!
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like this is a question for your gynocologist, no?

In the meantime, there are all sorts of non-hormonal contraceptives you could use, including diaphragms, cervical caps, spermicidal foam, spermicidal films, the sponge, etc.
  • Skeels
    Skeels Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    The pull out method is always safe :drinker:
  • blueandigo
    blueandigo Posts: 296
    Options
    Wait, can you tell me this in guy talk. I don't understand all of this code talk.
  • marywanoKC
    marywanoKC Posts: 176
    Options
    Yeah, if you don't want kids, it's as easy as a snip and a day of recovery for him, and tubes tied for you.

Is surgery invasive? Heck yeah it is, but I'd MUCH rather have a pretty standard surgery versus getting pregnant with a kid I don't want.
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Definitely go the copper IUD. Ask your doctor about them. Or you could go with good old condoms. I think pregnancy is too important to leave to chance.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    What's PNP?

If you don't want any more kids, use condoms, get your tubes tied or ask your partner to get a vasectomy. Getting pregnant has no correlation to losing weight, it just seems that way because it happened that way.

I can't use bc either; not being able to use bc shouldn't mean you have to pop out children (I'm child-free!) Just be more careful!

^^This. Is it that you feel sexier when you lose weight and sexy time ensues? You just have to be more careful.
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options

I used the Mirena after my first child and packed on a LOT of weight... it also caused killer ovulation pains and cramping. I'm scared to try the copper IUD and have the same issues!!

The great thing about the copper one is there are no hormones involved. Google for info but I think they are a great idea.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    Yikes....Good luck ; )
  • NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    What's PNP?

Actually when it comes to PCOS there is a CLEAR correlation between the two!
  • BriskisGrl
    BriskisGrl Posts: 461
    Options
    I have PCOS as well I'm on a low dose of birth control b/c I don't want the high hormones. If your not wanting pills I would think about snip snip for either of you.. There are also other things they can do. Speak to your OB.
  • NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Actually it in't. Pre ejaculate also contains sperm.
  • JDKD82199
    JDKD82199 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I would discuss your options this with your OB/Gyn.
    What's PNP?

Getting pregnant can have to do with losing weight. Obesity affects hormones and for many women prevents ovulation which, in turn, prevents pregnancy.
  • MisanthropeKitty
    Options
    I'm trying to talk the husband into a V but he's being a wuss about it. I will look into the copper IUD more, I am just really scared of the side effects that the Mirena caused even though it was probably the hormones in the Mirena that caused them... still makes me nervous to go that route again!
  • JoeyTajzai
    JoeyTajzai Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    Does the husband use condoms?
  • littlelaurie14
    littlelaurie14 Posts: 224 Member
    Options

I learned the hard way that it's not.
    :ohwell: hehh
  • MisanthropeKitty
    Options
    What's PNP?

PNP = pull and pray!

PCOS causes the hormones to be all crazy and something about losing weight puts them back to normal and causes the body to ovulate. I don't know all of the science behind it though. Also, I know several PCOS women that being on low-dose BC pills caused their body to ovulate by regulating the hormones.
  • MisanthropeKitty
    Options
    Does the husband use condoms?

Sometimes... I try to avoid sex during my fertile times but if it does happen I tell him to use a condom to be safe.