T.H.E. Team (Trying Hard Everyday) Week 38-Newbies Welcome

Mind and Motivation: "We Become What We Think About, Most Of The Time...

Mindset and motivation are critical aspects in forging a lean physique. Earl Nightingale said, "The strangest secret is that we become what we think about, most of the time." It all begins in the mind. Thought is the cause. Behavior is the effect. We think, and with those thoughts, we create.
All are welcome to join in at any time. We began this thread back in January looking for new friends to share our journey with. Newbies seem to spur up on so please feel free to jump in. Today we begin our 38th week!! If your looking for support buddies that are in this for the long haul... join us!! We love new faces! Introduce yourself and say hi to the thread. If you’ve been MIA for awhile, no judging here, jump back in.

We are here for anyone to post or suggest ideas or “throw down” challenges – whatever you want to do. Some of us are posting our weight losses, or measuring and posting our inches lost, or posting our exercise or food ideas, but we all share a desire to be available for each other to talk and exchange ideas.

Right now, we are working on a holiday challenge - a goal for weight loss between now and the upcoming holidays.

My second challenge is that we make a check list for the week. Each day we are to speak nicely to ourself, recognize something we’ve done well for the day, and then envision great results. We become what we think about.

Replies

• Manda- SW198, GW135, CW170 = no change
    jlb123 SW 270/GW 150/CW 247.8 loss of 4.4 pounds
    prayerfulmom sw 277/gw195/cw224 = up .4

Yesterday accountability was 1180
    exercise: 28 mile bike ride, 2 mile walk, yoga

I love all the posts of the ladies recognizing non scale victories. Mine for today is back into my skinnier shirts. Yeah.

I'm up .4 for the last 3 weeks. No one crying here. I was off a week while out of town and I ate to my hearts content last week for the 100k bike ride. So being that those scales said up 14lbs Monday, you'll see this girl can hold some water; and I'm pleased at my number this morning!!!

I'm changing my focus a bit over the winter. I really going to focus on weight training for strength (to perform better on the bike). So I am moving out of performance mode all the time to performance maybe one time a week. I'll still need to fuel up for hill climb days and long rides. As for my every day commuting I'll be getting my head out of the mph game and into the calorie burn and calorie deficit mode.

Ladies let's embrace 'visualizing what we will become' and make a model. Go here:
    http://corpo.mvm.com/en/shopping/weightloss.php
  • Awesome, awesome, awesome! Thanks prayerfulmom :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Manda- SW198, GW135, CW170 = no change
    healthymom sw208/gw150/cw163 = -2 lbs

I totally agree eating and exercise is a mind game of sorts. When your brain says, lets quit - we have to say, no I'm finishing this race well!

I press on to win the prize that is before me...a healthy body and healthy mind concerning food and life.

I look forward to going to water aerobics classes for fun not calorie burn. To look in the mirror and say "I don't need to lose weight."
  • CrazybeeRX
    CrazybeeRX Posts: 288 Member
    crazybee up 4 lbs

This has been a rough week for me. Headaches real bad. I was up 10 lbs but then lost 6 in water weight all in one day!! Man did i pee my life away that day.!! Yesterday I went to the doctor about the headaches. My blood pressure was up. It's normally 110/70 and it as 150/90. she put me on a blood pressure med to help with that and with the headaches so we are trying to kill 2 birds with one stone. The headache was so bad yesterday I took so much meds, i don't even remember driving home. Thank goodness I only work a mile away from home. I walked in the door and my son took one look at me and said come on mom let me get you into bed. I am up 4 lbs but I am not gonna beat myself up over it and I am not gonna change my ticker. I am going to hope for a better week.

I did log my food a little last week so my goal is to post more this week and log more. I agree this thread seems to be dying and I don't want that to happen. I love you gals so much!! NOt sure what we need to get it all lively again. Wonder what is going on in everyones life that is keeping them away. And we can't blame it all on facebook!! We need to think of something fun do do here each day so people will come at least once a day to do it and have fun and get encouragement again.

Kristi I am 51 so I might be the oldest. I had a hysterectomy 11 yrs ago so no menopause for me yet. Hope it gets better for you. I will try to think of ideas to help with the comfort eating.

Good luck girls!!
  • cb- most bp meds have a water pill as part of it. nice perk for the scale...not so nice perk when having to visit the potty so much. I am so glad you went to the doc. That is high. if you want to send me your e-mail i can send you info (i work in health education). I'm going to give you a big high 5 for not beating your self up but seeing the progress you made for the week and setting them even higher for next week. :drinker: (those are water shots by the way)

HM-amazing words of wisdom! Great loss! How's c25k going?

jlb- you go girl! way to rock those numbers.

manda-nice to see you not fret at the scale but see the victory in your body composition.
  • I am a new member to T.H.E. Team. I am 28, married mother of a 16 month old and struggling to lose the baby fat. I enjoy excercise and the "high" it gives me. Finding time is the hardest part. Below are my goals:

Holiday Challenge- weigh 140 by Jan 1st, 2010

Goals:
    Starting Weight- 149 lbs
    Mini goal- 144 by 27 Nov 2009
    Mini goal- 139 by Jan 1st, 2010
    Mini goal- 134 by Feb 5th
    Mini goal- 132 by Feb 15th, 2010
    Final goal- 130 by Mar 1st, 2010

Fitness Test Goal (January 2010):
    Run 1.5 miles in 12 minutes flat or less
    30” waist or less
    47 push ups in one minute
    54 sit ups in one minute
    Weight 140lbs
  • I am a new member to T.H.E. Team. I am 28, married mother of a 16 month old and struggling to lose the baby fat. I enjoy excercise and the "high" it gives me. Finding time is the hardest part. Below are my goals:

Goals:
    Starting Weight- 149 lbs

30” waist or less
    54 sit ups in one minute
    Weight 140lbs

Welcome to the team. Great goals. I'm with you on the exercise. I love it!
  • I am a first day newbie....Don't think I am in the right fitness category with the rest of you but up for the challenge. I have a 3 year old and am married to a wonderful man. I have exercised induced asthma which is why I tend to do nothing instead. My goal is to lose 50 pounds between and next july (my 20 year high school reunion). I want to slowly begin to do cardio taking baby steps, can't run more than a minute at a time right now and plan on building up, adding a minute or two each day. Any suggestions for the non-breathers out there?

I am also going to journal all my food intake. Would love ideas:) Looking forward to the motivation this group seems to have!
    Laura
  • I am a first day newbie....Don't think I am in the right fitness category with the rest of you but up for the challenge. I have a 3 year old and am married to a wonderful man. I have exercised induced asthma which is why I tend to do nothing instead. My goal is to lose 50 pounds between and next july (my 20 year high school reunion). I want to slowly begin to do cardio taking baby steps, can't run more than a minute at a time right now and plan on building up, adding a minute or two each day. Any suggestions for the non-breathers out there?

I am also going to journal all my food intake. Would love ideas:) Looking forward to the motivation this group seems to have!
    Laura

Welcome Laura! There are all levels of exercisers here: welcome. It seems you have the right idea of building up. Are you taking inhalers?

about logging: if i can't log online i log on paper. when i don't log i don't suceed. i have to just resolve to do it.
  • lulubar
    lulubar Posts: 739 Member
    Prayerful ~ Thanks for the link, and the nudge.

Sorry I've been AWOL gang - feeling super frustrated with the weight loss - I'm retaining water like crazy and the weight is fluctuating 4 to 8 lbs daily - `can't figure out what's up, but have a dr. appt next Thursday so hopefully we'll figure something out. Also on that day I am meeting with a nutritionist to go over my foods/calories/goals. This is just crazy that I can't get the scale to budge. I have always had decent success when I set my mind to weight loss. Since my hysterectomy two years ago it just seems so much more difficult to get my metabolism revved up. Hopefully, the nutritionist can help.

But I have to remember that what really helps is you guys:flowerforyou: So, I'll try not to stay away.

Welcome to newbies! What a great team this is - you're gonna love it!!

ttyl~
    lulu
  • Hurray for the newbies. Just take each day as it comes and try your best. Some of us have had months and months to work up to where we are.

lulu - thanks for checking in. hope the dr appt/nutritionist are helpful. :glasses: Stay cool!

skinnyme - I have a 3 yr old as well. It's hard to find the time to exercise but once my husband and I came to an agreement - he cares for her 3 nights/week so I can go to the gym. He is enjoying my success too.

cc - awesome goal setting. I love the exercise high too - cant go to sleep at night :yawn:
  • Manda- SW198, GW135, CW170 = no change
    crazybee up 4 lbs
    pawprint--sw168, gw130,cw151=loss of three pounds.

Welcome newbies.

Goals:
    Starting Weight- 149 lbs

30” waist or less
    54 sit ups in one minute
    Weight 140lbs

I have a 17 month old girl. I know how you feel. It's hard for some to get motivated after having a baby... but I'm glad that you found us. When I first started I started slow. I started making changes to way that I eat. Little ones, and now my body is back to where it lets me know when I'm full. I don't over eat like I used to. I feel like I have re trained my tummy to take only what it needs to be full. I have more energy. It's taken me since June to lose 17 pounds.... but I feel like I'm on the right track now.

I wish you good luck and stay with us for support. There are some awesome gals here.
  • manda1111
    manda1111 Posts: 113
    Hey ladies,

Just wanted to stop by and let you know things here are good. I went to the "y" this morning for water aerobics and yoga. I'm really enjoying my exercise but I think I need to really watch my diet especailly with thanks giving around the corner.

Have a great week end.
  • Lorann
    Lorann Posts: 107
    Hi everyone :flowerforyou:

I did weigh in yesterday I just didn't post... so here it is

crazybee up 4 lbs
    pawprint--sw168, gw130,cw151=loss of three pounds
    Lorann - SW 285 / GW 155 / CW 231 = no loss no gain

I'm back... I was just made an offer I couldn't refuse :smile: Thank you Crazybee!! :flowerforyou:

Ok I've been slacking big time!! Time to change that... I've pretty much stayed the same for the past three weeks and it's time to change things up... time to get off this plateau. So I'm gonna need all the support and swift kicks in the butt to get back at it, so let me have it everyone!! :laugh:

Welcome to all the new members :flowerforyou:
  • CrazybeeRX
    Morning all. Hope the weekend finds you well and happy. I woke up without a headache which is wonderful. I am peeing my life away with this new med but I am feeling decent.

I just asked Lorann to help me out. I think having a one on one support buddy might help. For those of us on facebook, we can find a buddy who is online and we can IM them and ask gently if they drank their water or if they logged their food or posted today. It will nudge us and give us extra support. Sometimes when we post here we have to wait for hours for someone to give us an answer or a little boost. If we can IM someone and they have a problem now and could use encouragement NOW then we are there for them. So my challenge to you all who are struggling, find a buddy and help one another out! Holiday time is so hard. I'd be glad to have more than one buddy i can use all the help and encouragement I can get!! I love you all and want to see us ALL succeed. So again on faebook my name is Debbie Ballew Mickel and you can add me (with a little note on your nic name here) and I'll add you and be glad to be your buddy.

Happy weekend all!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Happy Saturday, everyone!

I just made Ribbon Pumpkin Bread (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/68473-ribbon-pumpkin-bread) and omg, it smells absolutely DELICIOUS. I made some alterations to cut the calories and came up with 122 calories for 1/10 of a loaf & I can already tell it's really going to be worth it. Next time I'll probably make alterations to cut the cals even more. I'm getting pretty good at cutting the calories on delicious treats. :laugh: I love to bake so not doing that isn't really an option for me. I'm glad I'm able to adapt.

I burned nearly 1000 calories yesterday via walking, stationary biking, and 30 day shred. I'm a little fatigued today, but I'm about to buckle down and let Jillian kick my butt again with 30 day shred before I allow myself to enjoy a piece of that pumpkin bread. :laugh:

I hope everyone is having a great weekend!
  • CrazybeeRX
    I'm being good I logged my food today. So far only 2 glasses of water but I am working on it!!
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Welcome newbies... great idea Debbie. I could certainly use a reminder buddy. Since I'm a SAHM I check my FB and stuff throughout the day... anybody wanna be my buddy for this?

I joined a walk/run group locally, as well as a weight loss group, Funny that losingit had joined the same two groups without us knowing the other one had. Too funny! Anyway I feel the need for more in your face support, someone to say, geez girl, why are you wearing sweats all the time? so I can get back on track. I cannot believe how much I'm struggling emotionally with "eating my feelings" again after the blowout with my parents this summer. Dang I keep thinking I'm way too old to give a crap what those crazy mixed up people think, but then again, I still do care. At least I'm acknowledging that I'm eating my feelings... which is one of the reasons I joined those other two "real life" groups. It's too easy to hide and lie online... ya know?

Eating has been "mostly" good today. Got into the Halloween candy but other than that my meals have been good. Forgot my water so will do that now even though it's late, meaning I'll be up a lot going potty. Oh well.

FOr some reason I can't go back to the gym, it's like this mental block. Even though when I first started I was 40 pounds more than I am now, so how could I be more embarrassed than I was then? Just dumb. But it's this mental block even though I like my gym. I guess before I had someone to go with and that made a difference. Not sure. Need to find a workout buddy... hoping my neighbor will join my gym. She works at Curves but they have no cardio. She's gained weight this past year so she's been saying she needs to work out, we've walked and ridden bikes a few times but then the weather got nasty.
  • kaamot
    kaamot Posts: 1
    Hi all--

I've been using the site for 4 weeks and really love it. Lost 8 pounds. But HELP! The last 3 days have been terrible! Got way too busy, ran my kids' grade school cake walk, and just been eating and eating! Kept up the exercise, so that's something, but dread thought of getting on scale and seeing some of my hard-earned lost pounds back again!! So thought I might need the "motivation and support" link tonight!

I'm 40, with 4 kids (2 boys, 10 & 12, "mine," 1 10-year-old step son, "his," and a 4-year-old "ours" girl). Work full time teaching. Trying to finally lose the 25 pounds I never lost from having the kids.

Seriously, help! I want to jump right back on track tomorrow, but I've been saying that for 3 days now . . .

sick-of-baby-fat-mom
  • Hi everyone :flowerforyou:

I did weigh in yesterday I just didn't post... so here it is

crazybee up 4 lbs
    pawprint--sw168, gw130,cw151=loss of three pounds
    Lorann - SW 285 / GW 155 / CW 231 = no loss no gain

I'm back... I was just made an offer I couldn't refuse :smile: Thank you Crazybee!! :flowerforyou:

Ok I've been slacking big time!! Time to change that... I've pretty much stayed the same for the past three weeks and it's time to change things up... time to get off this plateau. So I'm gonna need all the support and swift kicks in the butt to get back at it, so let me have it everyone!! :laugh:

Welcome to all the new members :flowerforyou:

We are glad you are back! :flowerforyou: give your body a suprise by eating something different for a few days. Start a new exercise ... variety is the spice of life :bigsmile: