Sugar-free, not Carb-free :(

Options
Alex729
Alex729 Posts: 103 Member
I found out the hard way that 7-11's new sugar-free Slurpees are NOT carb-free! I was told that the "ice mix" used to make Slurpees has sugar alcohols and other chemicals that contain carbs. The sugar-free is referring to the syrup only and not the "ice mix".

A small treat is okay, but this definitely killed my excitement.

Live and learn.

Replies

• MariahCurry
    MariahCurry Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Omg that is crazy!! I never knew this!! I get those Slurpees when I go to 7-11!

Thank you soo much for sharing..

This helps me a lot with my diabetes!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    At the health food store when i was doing low carb, I bought some sugar free candies. Turns out there is a lot of carbs in them.

A lot of times when they make a product sugar free, they use sugar alcohols to replace the sugar- which are not only still carbs, but they're laxatives, too!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    At the health food store when i was doing low carb, I bought some sugar free candies. Turns out there is a lot of carbs in them.

A lot of times when they make a product sugar free, they use sugar alcohols to replace the sugar- which are not only still carbs, but they're laxatives, too!

And can make people very gassy and bloated.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Oh, that's tricky... although I don't know if I would have assumed sugar-free = carb-free.
    I don't do either, but it does show that you need to read the fine print if you are watching specific macros etc.