does the paleo diet help with binge eating?

Options
im in desperate need of help. someone on tumblr told me that she went on a paleo diet and lost all her cravings of sweets and junk. now, the only sweets she craves is fruit. has anyone tried the paleo diet? and on this diet, you can't eat any grains, right?

Replies

• roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I don't know about paleo, but generally when I eat cleaner I also have less cravings for refined sugary stuff.
  • jameehardey
    Options
    i eat pretty much paleo except for the fact that i eat dairy everything else fits in with that lifestyle and ever since i switched over to little to no processed foods i never crave processed sugar or refined carbs. i crave carrots and stuff now! its really good and i never binge anymore :)
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    i dont remember the last time i had anything sugary, being vegan there arent many buiscuits or sweets that i can have, but i dont even crave them
  • MashaSK
    MashaSK Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    bump
  • UltimateLover
    UltimateLover Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    My plan is to start eating paleo but everyone I know that does it, really only crave fruits and veggies now. Their bodies reject the grains and carbs now.
  • lil_miss_stephy
    Options
    No I thought it made it worse
  • ReinventingLisa
    ReinventingLisa Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I eat paleo/low carb but I still have dairy. Honestly, I went this route only because I remembered years ago when I followed a similar plan and was never hungry. I don't have to count calories if I don't want to, but what I wanted was the sanity of not having the cravings and appetite suppression is awesome. When I followed a low fat/high carb diet all I felt was starving and I couldn't get food out of my mind. I binge eat when I'm stressed, but I don't think I've had a binge in a long time.
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    I have "binged" per se, in that I overate on my calories, but it was always something healthy (also doing dairy, but nothing processed or grains). It is still calories in versus calories out. BUT, I never woke up the next day with the gross feeling as normal and it was so easy to just get back on track. Usually ended up loading on proteins like chicken, or a big bowl of greek yogurt with fresh fruit or using vegetables to dip in. On the occasion where I have been at events with sweets, I was able to take one bite of them, just to enjoy the taste, and had no desire to eat anymore and it didn't throw me off course like usual.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Sugar does strange things to your body. If you just commit to not having sweets for, say, a month, your cravings will likely go away without making any other changes to your diet. The paleo lifestyle helps with sugar cravings because refined sugar isn't one of the "approved" foods. That's all. I do think that living paleo is a great thing, but it's not something you're going to do for a few weeks just to see results and then go back to the way you used to eat. If all you're looking to do is curb sugar cravings, then just cut out the sugar, drink more water, increase your protein intake (for a steadier energy source than sugar), and make sure you get enough sleep. And then be patient for a week or three, and those cravings will go away.
  • ajhr
    ajhr Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I tried living paleo for a while and decided it wasn't really for me - at least not at this point in my life. I'm back to eating grains, but I learned a lot from paleo: dietary fat is NOT bad for you, and processed foods can make you feel like crap. I've cut out most "extra" sugars (i.e., sugars that aren't naturally already in the food) and I don't skimp on the fat. I don't go nuts with it, but I no longer avoid it: I use real butter and cream, and I buy full fat yogurt.
    I actually think eating more fat has made at least as big a difference for me as eating less sugar.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Cut right back on refined sugar as far as you can for a few weeks, and the cravings will go, especially if you fill up on things like cottage cheese and hard boiled eggs when a craving hits. I only did a week and it eliminated my cravings mostly until I caved and had something before my TOM and spiralled again. Obviously the Paleo would help because it eliminates refined foods so there is nothing you are likely to want to binge on anyway.