Study induced snacking! Help

Options
Exams are in one week and from last week I have not stopped snacking- sugary foods, fatty foods and crunchy foods (or anything I can find). Does anyone have any suggestions for cheap healthy small snacking foods? I'm desperate! Need to be slim for my anniversary at the end of the month too!

Replies

• jaqui1989
    jaqui1989 Posts: 3
    Options
    Cut up celery and carrots and put it into a container. Almost no calories.
  • nicoleyroley
    nicoleyroley Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks really good idea, any good ideas for my sugar cravings? I guess apples?
  • Kichelchen
    Kichelchen Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Just don't worry too much, your body obviously needs it, otherwise you wouldn't crave it. Portion control is all, try to limit yourself to a certain amount of these snacks, don't deny your body what it needs. If it doesn't affect your weight, just don't think about it, if it does, exercise in your breaks ;) (That's what I do, anyway). Good luck for your exams!!!
  • swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Tea was my saviour during those long study nights.

Sometimes though, you really need it to help you study, I love dry cereal like whole wheat cheerios. I used to make a mixture with low-sugar frosted flakes, all bran and cheerios to snack on in the library or at home. Make sure you portion it all out before you begin.
  • futuremalestripper
    futuremalestripper Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I find M&M's and Reeses Minis to be the best study food. As a matter of fact I just had some. Chem test in 2 hours. =P

But for something healthier, I like Del Monte canned fruit with No Sugar Added. A can of sliced pears is like 150 calories and although it's packed full of carbs, they are good carbs unlike the candy.
  • insightdean
    Options
    rice cakes? bananas and toasted oats.
  • mightyminerva
    mightyminerva Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling!

I have a couple go-to snacks. I love sweet things too, so grapes are great. I don't like them this way, but I've heard of people who *love* them frozen. Then after a few hours, they'd still be cold for you! Nuts are great, too, provided that you count how many there are or weigh them ahead of time so you know how much you're eating. I'm not sure where you're located, but I'm in the UK. Marks and Spencer carries individual snack packs of 100-125 calories--cookies are my favourite. I know that there are other 100-calorie snack packs in the States. If you can, buy them one at a time; you won't be tempted to eat more than one!

Good luck, and happy studying!
  • NomadicKris
    Options
    Carrots are my go to snack food when studying (I had to work to make this a natural thing though believe me!). I eat them whole, don't bother cutting them, otherwise they become too much work. I also snack on rice cakes (i like them plain so again no fuss). Mandarins are good, but I peel a couple before studying so I can just grab and snack.
  • Sylv93
    Sylv93 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    If you've got a health food shop near you, maybe try yoghurt coated raisins/apricots/ginger? Tastes like white chocolate, but not as bad for you!
  • Mamoonie
    Mamoonie Posts: 328
    Options
    I've seen a report on TV, about food needed in special situations, like before a workout, during exams etc.
    For the exam situation they said:
    have plain yogurt, cut an apple, have walnuts (or a nut mix), mix all together.
    It's the right food to not overload your stomach, while feeding your brain with what it needs, and satisfying your different cravings (sweet, crunchy...)
    My son lived on this for the last 2 weeks. Don't know if it helped, but it didn't do any damage for sure ;-)
  • mightyminerva
    mightyminerva Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Oh, I forgot! Dried fruit is yummy! Be sure to get some that doesn't have added sugar so that you aren't wrecking your diet or your teeth. Cranberries, mango, and pineapple are my favourites!
  • vanessalillian82
    vanessalillian82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Mamoonie's is a good suggestion. Something with protein (yoghurt and nuts) and a bit of natural sugar (apple) to feed your body properly.

I don't know if this happened to anyone else, but back when I was studying I would find that I was only taking snack breaks because I was bored with studying and seeking distraction. You may find that if you start off with something genuinely nutritious that will give you a boost now but also be sustained for a while (like the yoghurt mix) and you're STILL inclined to snack within the hour, it's probably boredom. Go for something less exciting like a carrot or celery after that and you'll probably find that not only do you snack less, but you'll waste less time away from the desk foraging for food!
  • ItsDiana
    ItsDiana Posts: 60
    Options
    Dried fruit!
    I'm studying too and dried fruit is an awesome snack. Low in kcals, sweet and crunchy :)
  • ajhr
    ajhr Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Carrot sticks with salsa killed my former Doritos addiction :)

I'd go for fresh fruit over dried as it's much more filling. Try dicing an apple or pear and eating it one piece at a time. Or thin slices and dip it into yogurt.
  • elizabethwolf
    Options
    i set myself rules like
    -only eating at certain times of the day
    -sitting down to eat to make sure i'm not walking around aimlessly snacking
    -plan what i will eat and not eat anything outside of that
    -eat within an eight hour window of the day
    -not eating while i'm studying
    etc etc... these have helped me actually lose weight during study leave!
  • Sadedoes
    Sadedoes Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Carrots, cucumber pieces, cherry tomatoes, strawberries, other fresh fruit (peeled and prepped so I can just use a fork to eat it).
  • nicoleyroley
    nicoleyroley Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Wow so strict with all the rules haha thanks for all your help everyone! I'll let you know how it goes!