Healthy foods that are quick, easy and filling?

Options
For any meal. I am a student that likes her sleep so i end up sleeping more when i should be eating breakfast. However I would like to start eating breakfast in the mornings.

Replies

• Nangel07
    Nangel07 Posts: 9
    Options
    Have you tried breakfast shakes?... they take no time at all to make and depending on what you are looking for... you can add oatmeal to it if you need it to be more filling.

I usually eat breakfast around 7:30-8:30 and I am not usually wanting to eat at that time so I drink my breakfast and have a mid morning snack about 2.5 to 3 hours later.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Make a big batch of black beans in a slow cooker or on the stove. Just use a little low-sodium chicken broth in the water for flavor. Portion them out into 1 or 1.5 cup servings that you can add stuff too and nuke in a couple minutes.

I've added everything from egg whites to minced garlic to frozen veggies. You can even add lemon juice and a little tahini or peanut butter and blend it up for a quick hummus. Yum.

Super filling.
  • Peta22
    Peta22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    green smoothies for the win! quick, nutritious and delicious! google green smoothie to find one you'd like to try.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    I recommend Clif bars. They're great in the morning and are quite filling!
  • itsmedicinalbacon
    Options
    I just ate the quaker oats-weight control, oatmeal-BANANA BREAD! love it!
  • isabelle_46mom
    Options
    It depends on what appeals to you in the morning. Do you like sweet things? If so, try a couple packets of instant oatmeal with milk. It only takes a minute to make them and you can let them cool while you get ready. They come in all kinds of yummy flavors. If you like savory or hearty flavors, try scrambling an egg and throwing in a couple of Brown and Serve turkey sausage links, roll it up in a burrito wrapper and breakfast is done in under 5 minutes.
  • fpgessel
    fpgessel Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You can also make an Egg Casserole on the weekend and just pop a piece in the microwave in the morning.

Spray the pan with Pam. Depending on what you are looking for. You can do a low fat crescent roll crust (I usually don't do the crust and just put the eggs the pan) and then scramble eggs (or egg beaters) with peppers, onions, mushrooms, chopped canadian bacon, asparagus, whatever you fancy. Add a little cheese to the top if you like and put it in the oven.

Cooking time depends on how large of a pan you make so keep an eye on it. Usually the top is still a little wet when everything else is done -so I toss it under the broiler for a minute or two. Again keep an eye on it so that it doesn't burn. Then slice into whatever serving size you prefer and refrigerate. Take a piece and pop in the microwave for 30 seconds to a minute and eat.
  • ebiggz
    ebiggz Posts: 11
    Options
    I recommend Clif bars. They're great in the morning and are quite filling!

The only problem with Cliff bars is they are LOADED with sugar.
  • lindaw66
    lindaw66 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    If you can get organized on the weekend and make this, it tasted great! I've even made this for dinner and you can put a little salsa on it to spice it up too!
  • dani_1977
    dani_1977 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I love eggs.

I take frozen onions and pepper and or spinach also then a little bit of water. cover place in the micowave.

Add in egg whites or beaten egg( s).. plus laughing cow wedge

heat for 45 secs stir, repeat 2 or 3 times
  • misspersimmon
    Options
    Plain oatmeal with some fruit or honey is quite nice. I also like the ezekiel sprouted grain prophet's pita pockets. Sometimes in the morning I will eat them with a tablespoon of just fruit jam and some almond butter. Yogurts are a great and easy idea, and fruit in general! I like it in my yogurt, in smoothies, etc. Like other people have said, eggs can be quite simple to make as well.
  • Sylvia_00
    Sylvia_00 Posts: 13
    Options
    Hello! I was the same way in college, so I completely understand. Now, I find its easier to eat breakfast if you plan for it. Here are some tips:

-If you like hard boiled eggs, cook them the night before, peel them the night before and wrap them in napkins (they will shrink a little and release a little water). In the morning you can grab them and go! No cooking or peeling necessary!

-Light cheese stick are very convenient

-like breakfast sandwiches? I use a 10 grain english muffin with 1.5 strips of bacon, 2 egg whites and light chedder cheese (sargento), and bit of honey to give it that "McGriddle" taste lol. This tastes waaaayyy better though. Prepare the bacon and egg whites the night before. After you cook them place them in the freezer for about 5 minute so they cool faster. After 5 min, take them out and assemble your sanwich how you please (Bacon, egg, and cheese in between the 2 pieces of english muffin). Wrap it up in saran wrap or ziplock bag and place it in the fridge. On your way to work/school grab it, heat it, and eat it on the go!

-Yogurt parfaits - 3/4 cup of plain yogurt (or flavored yogurt, but those usually have alot of sugar), light, or less sugar strawberry jam, and fresh strawberries. Again, you can prepare this the night before, and grab a spoon and eat it the next morning with little prep time.

The key to make it in advance. I will also suggest buying and using plastic container with lids for easy packaging. I am sucessful with my weight loss so far because I prepare and pre-package all of my meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) on Sunday. That way, the week is a breeze! I grab my pre-made food and go!

Hope this helps!
  • Sarahgrace0228
    Sarahgrace0228 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Hello! I was the same way in college, so I completely understand. Now, I find its easier to eat breakfast if you plan for it. Here are some tips:

-If you like hard boiled eggs, cook them the night before, peel them the night before and wrap them in napkins (they will shrink a little and release a little water). In the morning you can grab them and go! No cooking or peeling necessary!

-Light cheese stick are very convenient

-like breakfast sandwiches? I use a 10 grain english muffin with 1.5 strips of bacon, 2 egg whites and light chedder cheese (sargento), and bit of honey to give it that "McGriddle" taste lol. This tastes waaaayyy better though. Prepare the bacon and egg whites the night before. After you cook them place them in the freezer for about 5 minute so they cool faster. After 5 min, take them out and assemble your sanwich how you please (Bacon, egg, and cheese in between the 2 pieces of english muffin). Wrap it up in saran wrap or ziplock bag and place it in the fridge. On your way to work/school grab it, heat it, and eat it on the go!

-Yogurt parfaits - 3/4 cup of plain yogurt (or flavored yogurt, but those usually have alot of sugar), light, or less sugar strawberry jam, and fresh strawberries. Again, you can prepare this the night before, and grab a spoon and eat it the next morning with little prep time.

The key to make it in advance. I will also suggest buying and using plastic container with lids for easy packaging. I am sucessful with my weight loss so far because I prepare and pre-package all of my meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) on Sunday. That way, the week is a breeze! I grab my pre-made food and go!

Hope this helps!

I could probly get into the habbit of pre packaging a bit for breakfasts I would just have to make sure the other members of the household do not eat it tho.
  • jvelasquez28
    jvelasquez28 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Love, love, love....thanks for the tip!
  • Sarahgrace0228
    Sarahgrace0228 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    My new taste buds may like certain flavors of oatmeal. Getting creative with eggs is a good idea too. Ohh I love yogurt these days.