How have I gained weight?!

Options
2»

Replies

• graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I suggest not worrying about 400 grammes. It is just a Ibs, and could have been caused by any number of things, including water retention, muscle, or even a heavier in weight meal than you had the evening before your last weigh in. That is why it doesn't pay to get upset over a pound as in the grand scheme of things, it isn't a lot, unless it is going up a Ib every week in spite of a healthy lifestyle, that is. Even at maintenance, my weight varies by a pound or two from day to day.
  • bethgames
    bethgames Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I get where you're coming from - after such a great week I wouldn't be a happy camper! But like some said it could be because of water weight from exercising

I found this on the net a while back, written by Dean Anderson, a certified fitness trainer: http://www.sparkpeople.com/community/ask_the_experts.asp?q=68 and it makes sense to me::

It's true that many people either gain a little weight or don't see any change on the scale for as long as 4-6 weeks after making a significant change in their level of exercise. This is often explained as "gaining muscle while losing fat" but that isn't quite accurate. This extra weight is usually water.

When you start doing more exercise, your body begins storing more fuel in your muscle cells, where it can be used easily and quickly to fuel your workouts. The process of converting glucose (carbohydrates) into fuel that your muscles actually store and use (glycogen) requires three molecules of water for every molecule of glucose. As your muscles are building up glycogen stores, your body has to retain extra water for this purpose. That's what causes most of the initial weight gain or lack of weight loss. This is a good thing—not something to worry about.

However, despite what the scale says, you are actually losing fat during this time. The extra water retention will stop once your body has adjusted to its new activity level. At that point, the scale should start moving down. You'll end up with less fat, and muscles that can handle a larger amount of work.

Thank you, this is something I will think about at my next plateau and instead of crying and fussing, I will look forward to that next drop. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • svwb
    svwb Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    "When you start doing more exercise, your body begins storing more fuel in your muscle cells, where it can be used easily and quickly to fuel your workouts. The process of converting glucose (carbohydrates) into fuel that your muscles actually store and use (glycogen) requires three molecules of water for every molecule of glucose. As your muscles are building up glycogen stores, your body has to retain extra water for this purpose. That's what causes most of the initial weight gain or lack of weight loss. This is a good thing—not something to worry about. "

Wow - what a great explanation! I have noticed this water retention with boosting my exercise and wondered why. Thank you!
  • DebraAukett
    DebraAukett Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I get where you're coming from - after such a great week I wouldn't be a happy camper! But like some said it could be because of water weight from exercising

I found this on the net a while back, written by Dean Anderson, a certified fitness trainer: http://www.sparkpeople.com/community/ask_the_experts.asp?q=68 and it makes sense to me::

It's true that many people either gain a little weight or don't see any change on the scale for as long as 4-6 weeks after making a significant change in their level of exercise. This is often explained as "gaining muscle while losing fat" but that isn't quite accurate. This extra weight is usually water.

When you start doing more exercise, your body begins storing more fuel in your muscle cells, where it can be used easily and quickly to fuel your workouts. The process of converting glucose (carbohydrates) into fuel that your muscles actually store and use (glycogen) requires three molecules of water for every molecule of glucose. As your muscles are building up glycogen stores, your body has to retain extra water for this purpose. That's what causes most of the initial weight gain or lack of weight loss. This is a good thing—not something to worry about.

However, despite what the scale says, you are actually losing fat during this time. The extra water retention will stop once your body has adjusted to its new activity level. At that point, the scale should start moving down. You'll end up with less fat, and muscles that can handle a larger amount of work.

Thank you, this is something I will think about at my next plateau and instead of crying and fussing, I will look forward to that next drop. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Pleasure, it's meant a great deal to me too!
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Multi-day trend charts are good for people that like to measure often.

Some scales (e.g. Soehnle) will show trend. You can create a trend chart with pen and paper or using a computer spreadsheet.
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    If you are exercising 2 hours A DAY, I hope you are eating 2300-2500 calories AT LEAST. If you are one of the 1200 calorie ppl, I can tell you where your weight "gain" is from.