my dr says I may have cancer

Options
2»

Replies

• scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I had a large ovarian cyst years ago and was told because of it's nature and makeup it "might" be ovarian cancer (despite the fact that I had no family history or any real risk factors). I went into surgery not knowing my fate. Even the incision was done in such a way to give better access to lymph glands, if necessary.

I didn't have cancer, I had a Dermoid Cyst.

I would make an appointment with a second, reputable doctor and go from there, and try to keep in mind that "might" doesn't necessarily equate to "cancer". Good luck to you.
  • KristysLosing
    Options
    I'm so sorry! :frown: I hope that the doctor is wrong, maybe it's a benign tumor. Regardless, I hope it's easily removed and gone that quick. Stay strong! :flowerforyou:
  • Scribetoo
    Scribetoo Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of steps to be taken between "it may be" and what it is.. I understand the "living in a fog" kind of feeling. my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer earlier this year.. she's the first in our family to have any kind of cancer so the family basically went into complete shut down mode..

Thankfully, I found a TON of help and support through Livestrong.org. The support is free and they are AMAZING. I was put in contact with a fantastic oncology RN who has been able to explain things to me in plain English.. and she helps me know what questions to ask.. gives me suggestions for what to read up on.. even when the news is not so great, she explains it in a way that I can understand and deal with at my own pace. They have also been able to put me in contact with people for emotional support, financial support, even medical trials people..

I have found so far that knowledge has been my rock.. and it helped me get out of that fog of 'what the hell?! why is this even happening?' -- I hope you will reach out to them.

I will also add you to my prayers list :) Don't fret over what you don't know yet.. take what you know for sure and educate yourself about it as much as you can.. then take one step at a time.. Don't try to deal with it all at one time.. and definitely ask for help. If not the people I recommended -- then somebody.

Stay positive! You're stronger than you know!!
    Stef
    59230169 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I agree with the post saying no Dr should say you might have anything that they are not positive about. Find a new Dr. My prayers are with you.
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I hope you are okay. Shame on your doctor for saying that and not simply encouraging some testing, etc.
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I had a scare with breast cancer five years ago and it turned out to be nothing. My prayers are with you. Think positive thoughts and hang in there.
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    I am so very sorry to hear that. I/we pray to God that he is wrong. God bless you.
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Try concentrating on your hip not hurting and visualize your body healing itself. We have the power to heal ourselves. I'm not saying it is the only thing to do, but do it in addition to whatever else you do. Like when you have just laid down to go to sleep and are relaxed. I'm not sure how you eat, but you may want to look into something like Eat To Live which concentrates on you getting all of your micro nutrients from a plant based diet to heal your body.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    That sounds like my mom, except I believe it was longer than a year for them to figure it out. She had a very rare cancer. She underwent treatment that lasted several months, and besides a pretty cool scar, she is completely fine now and has been clear of cancer for 3 years now. I know it is hard to do, but until they can do the tests necessary to give you some better answers, you should find a way to keep yourself busy and calm. I wish you the best of luck.
  • faylenechung
    faylenechung Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I have been told I might have cancer before and it turned out to be nothing. I found a new Doctor who runs the tests and then tells me what is going on and also tells me they found exactly. if it is cancer that doesn't mean you cant beat it. I know many people that have beat cancer and are doing great today.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Try to stay positive... It is really hard to do when you are under a lot of stress. There is a good chance it could be something else and even if it is, you will need your strength to fight it. 2nd opinions are always important in such matters. Remember much has been done the past several years where Cancer and a death sentence are NOT synonymous. The survivability rate for most cancers is high and you can survive it and move on with your life. A positive attitude is very important. If these feelings persist, tell your doctor. Depression is a common side effect but is treatable.
  • CarolinaGirlinVA
    CarolinaGirlinVA Posts: 1,512 Member
    Options
    Deep breaths, one day at a time. I am a cancer survivor and will always have that fear it will return. Mine was easily treatable, but since then any testing that could indicate cancer leaves me scared and anxious until that follow up appointment.

Many thoughts, prayers and hugs to you. Feel free to PM me or add me.

-Sherry-
  • deniseg31
    deniseg31 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I pray that everything will turn out in a good way for you. Try not to panic let them get down to the bottom of it before you start feeling so down. I agree with the others about 2nd opinions. 2nd and 3rd opinions are never a bad idea. Please take care or yourself and try not to stress out so much about it. I know that's easier said than done because I've been through similar situations. Take it easy lovely lady...I praying for the best outcome for you.
  • isadoralives
    Options
    I don't tend to read the forums, so you might need to message me if you would like to further discuss this.

I had a tumor in my right hip that was discovered after I had excruciating pain while running, my leg collapsed under me, and I had difficulty walking thereafter. A sports medicine doctor (I was convinced I had just torn my labrum) ordered MRIs on it, and I was in the machine for over 2 hours (I was told it would be a quick 30 min scan). My tumor was symmetrical, though was dx a few months after I had a stage 1b melanoma removed, so we had to assume it was malignant until it could be removed and biopsied.

I was able to have the tumor removed arthroscopically, and I had a great experience with the surgeon. The mass turned out to not be cancerous, thank goodness. My hip feels 100% better, and I have nearly my full range of motion back (I was only in PT for a few months). My surgery was one year ago.

It's important to know that you aren't alone going through this. Find a group of doctors you trust, research surgical procedures, and treatments you are comfortable with. My thoughts are with you.