Exercise NAUSEA, HELP!

Options
Hey everyone,

So every time I do any intense exercise, I become incredibly queasy and feel like I might be sick. I've tried drinking more water, drinking less water, taking breaks, working out early in the morning before I've eaten - but I am almost always queasy for a large part of the work out.

It happens most often when I am doing any type of high intensity training, especially with intervals. (P90X, P90X+, Turbo Jam)

Anyone have this problem or a remedy?
Help!!
Thank you :)

Replies

• ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Have you eaten enough food? I get nauseous if I don't eat enough. I eat a high protein snack about 30-45 min before working out and make sure I'm hydrated all day.
  • Hawkian
    Hawkian Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Uh oh.

My first instinct, overwhelmingly, is that you need to eat more :-x

Make sure you have something, as specified above, high in protein at least two hours to 30 minutes before working out (no less than an hour before plyo, though, or that will actually make you feel sick from all the jumping).

This is crazy important with a program as intense as P90X. Stay fed, girl!
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Have you eaten enough food? I get nauseous if I don't eat enough. I eat a high protein snack about 30-45 min before working out and make sure I'm hydrated all day.

This.

I eat a Cliff Z Bar 45 - 60 min before I work out, with my morning coffee. After trying a number of different things, this is what has worked for me.
  • tamamommy
    tamamommy Posts: 73
    Options
    Same thing use to happen to me too. I have a protein shake with 1/2 banana before my workout. Good luck.
  • GabrielleZelda
    GabrielleZelda Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Wow, I always thought that eating would make it worse!
    I figured, on an empty stomach, there is no room for nausea or indigestion.

Definitely food for thought, I will try this out!

p.s. staying hydrated all day has helped a great deal, instead of gorging on two bottles of water during exercise.
  • Hawkian
    Options

p.s. staying hydrated all day has helped a great deal, instead of gorging on two bottles of water during exercise.
    Hehe, nononono! Staying hydrated is definitely most important (the times I've tried to push through a workout without having enough water earlier, I felt like I was dying rather than just a little nauseated), but having eaten enough is super important especially during very intense workouts which I know you're doing. On an empty stomach, your body will be DYING for some carb/sugar/protein stores to tap into and convert to energy and when it can't find them, it's gonna make you feel very uncomfortable as a way of saying "FEED ME!!!"

edit: Just remember, for VERY intense cardio like Plyometrics, eating too soon before can work against you just based on the sheer madness of the motion you'll be performing (same principle as "don't eat 30 minutes before you go in the pool"). Tony would say have something substantial 1-2 hours before you bring it.
  • HungerGame82
    HungerGame82 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Idk what you eat before you work out, but that would be my suggestion as well. I don't drink a lot right before I work out, but I stay hydrated throughout the day. I know this sounds gross but low fat chocolate milk is a great way to get some nutrition in before a workout - cals, protein, etc. They have little bottle at Wal-Mart that are not bad in sugar and cals. :) And getting too few calories overall could be adding to the problem, I've had that happen to me before... :/
  • Hawkian
    Options
    Why would that sound gross? Chocolate milk is delicioso
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I would say you aren't eating enough to properly fuel your body. I had a look at your food diary and you are always under 1,200 and sometimes under 1000 calories a day in food. That would cause it because the workouts you do are very intense.

You need to fuel your body more in order to get the best results from the workouts you are doing.

You are normally netting negative calories which doesn't help. You don't need to burn off everything you eat.
  • missashley884
    missashley884 Posts: 188 Member
    Options

not eating will make it worse! you have no calories to burn off!
  • Mrsfullwood
    Mrsfullwood Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. But its only when I do more intense work outs. I've always wondered why.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Add me to the "you probably need a snack" list. I used to run, and now I bicycle (sometimes for hours at a stretch). I also hike and kayak. With ANY of those activities, I need to start with a small but proper snack (for me what works is complex carbs, minimum of 100 calories, ideally about a half hour beforehand).

I've been told by the sports nutritionist who is directing our training for the Trek Across Maine (60-mile-a-day bike ride for 3 days) that a 100-200 calorie complex carb snack every hour of intense workouts is also ideal, and a carb-and-protein snack within about a half hour of the workout helps keep nausea and chills at bay and keeps your appetite healthy. I haven't found that to be necessarily true in my case, but I have used hard candy to "restart the engine" on long hikes - a slow sugar drip of 15 calories over the course of 15-20 minutes can keep me going for a couple of hours of heavy activity.

And, of course, immediately before exercise or during exercise is the wrong time to START hydrating. You need to start hydrating early (or just keep up a good habit of drinking lots of water daily).

If I don't fuel up properly before I start a long and vigorous workout, I get nauseous, and then when I'm done I can't have a snack because I'll hurl it back up again. Then I go through the chills. They suck. Then when my body has recovered from what I've done to it, I'm a ravenous hungerbeast and I empty entire refrigerators into my gaping maw. It's important that you move a lot when I'm in this mode, because you're made of meat and I'm not fussy. Just sayin'. ;)

A 100-calorie slice of multigrain bread before my bicycle commute and a 1/2 cup of oatmeal and a handful of nuts and a banana after it means I've burned 700+ calories and consumed an under-300 calorie breakfast, and when lunchtime rolls around I'm feeling "healthy hungry".

I've tried NOT having that slice of bread beforehand - feeling ill until 10AM, then a sudden rush to the cafeteria dropping $10 on 1,000+ calories of poorly-chosen fare, and hungry again at lunch. It doesn't work for me.

But we're all different. I'd try something very simple and easy to digest, even if it's a handful of crackers with a touch of peanut butter, about a half hour before your workout.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    You are probably working too hard for your current fitness level. You may need to dial back on the intensity until you get more in shape.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options

Hehe, nononono! Staying hydrated is definitely most important (the times I've tried to push through a workout without having enough water earlier, I felt like I was dying rather than just a little nauseated), but having eaten enough is super important especially during very intense workouts which I know you're doing. On an empty stomach, your body will be DYING for some carb/sugar/protein stores to tap into and convert to energy and when it can't find them, it's gonna make you feel very uncomfortable as a way of saying "FEED ME!!!"

edit: Just remember, for VERY intense cardio like Plyometrics, eating too soon before can work against you just based on the sheer madness of the motion you'll be performing (same principle as "don't eat 30 minutes before you go in the pool"). Tony would say have something substantial 1-2 hours before you bring it.

This! Don't eat any later than thirty minutes before, and it doesn't have to be a large QUANTITY of food. Just find something that is calorie and nutrient dense so that you don't have to eat a large portion, but your body will still have something to draw energy from. I used to have a problem with muscle weakness and fatigue (not so much nausea) until I started doing this.
  • robinso5
    robinso5 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,

So every time I do any intense exercise, I become incredibly queasy and feel like I might be sick. I've tried drinking more water, drinking less water, taking breaks, working out early in the morning before I've eaten - but I am almost always queasy for a large part of the work out.

It happens most often when I am doing any type of high intensity training, especially with intervals. (P90X, P90X+, Turbo Jam)

Anyone have this problem or a remedy?
    Help!!
    Thank you :)

I have exercise hiccups!
  • sandrajune72
    sandrajune72 Posts: 550
    Options
    I found that too when I started 30 Day Shred. Eating something about an hour before has really made a difference. It does get better as you get fitter too! Good luck in finding what works for you x:flowerforyou:
  • Mbishop7684
    Mbishop7684 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have had the same things happen to me during spin and I could NEVER figure out why! I would get nauseous, then the chills, then the desperate search for carbs in my veggie loaded apt. I switched my after workout protein shake to pre-workout and it fixed the problem immediately. Thanks for sharing all the advice!
  • sandrajune72
    sandrajune72 Posts: 550
    Options

I have exercise hiccups!

Brilliant!!! :laugh: You poor thing!! Perhaps you're not breathing right???
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Definitely eat more and always try and eat something around an hour before a workout, even if it's just a piece of fruit. I once went straight from a shift at work to the gym without dinner and came out wanting to hurl. That's never happened before or since I made sure I got at least a little something in me beforehand. I like to work out as early as possible, so I don't normally feel like breakfast beforehand, but a banana and a coffee are enough to keep me going, then I have breakfast afterwards. You need to make sure you're eating enough to fuel your workouts and to keep your body healthy. Consistently eating under 1000 calories (as your diary suggests you are) will not do this. If you're not feeling well, you're probably not eating enough, especially if you're really going for it during your workouts.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    How hard do you exercise? Nausea can be perfectly normal after a long bout of high intensity exercise. Try backing off the intensity a bit and see if that helps. Chronic cardio isn't good for the body anyway and will do more for eating away at muscle mass than fat mass.

And food is up to you. Some people like to exercise with food in the belly (I don't advise this if you are going to be doing high intensity cardio for more than a half hour because high intensity exercise stresses the body and your digestive system will shut down). Some like to exercise fasted. Some like to eat after, some don't. See what your body likes best.

I prefer not to eat right before or right after exercise. I think it defeats the purpose of using exercise to burn carbs/fat from storage. Think about it. If you eat before (takes about 2-3 hours for food to leave the stomach and about 5-6 hours for the digestion process to complete) then your body will be using what you just ate as fuel. If you eat after then your body will use what you just ate to replenish. With no food in your system your body will have no choice but to USE WHAT IS ALREADY THERE.