What to eat after wisdom teeth extraction???

Options
2»

Replies

• fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    oatmeal, eggs, steamed veggies, baked/mashed potatoes, a banana spread with peanut butter, muffins, yogurt and berries, sugar free pudding

Cheesy broccoli:
    2 cups frozen, chopped broccoli florets
    1/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
    1-2 T skim milk

1. cook the broccoli as directed on the package. (you can boil it, or I pop it in the microwave to save time) 2. Place cooked broccoli in a bowl, add cheese and milk. 3. stir until cheese is melted.

Avoid crunchy veggies and fruits, meats, crackers, chips, dense or sticky breads with crust
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I am looking for healthy foods that would be okay for me to eat after having my four wisdom teeth extracted yesterday. I'm thinking applesauce, greek yogurt and jello, but I know I'll get tired of that pretty quickly. Does anyone have any good recipes/ ideas that will not break me in calories?

Thank you!!! Your replies are greatly appreciated!

After twenty four to forty eight hours it's not as important what you eat as that you do not suck, like through a straw, until your oral surgeon says it's okay. That can displace clots and sutures and such. I'd suggest that your oral surgeon knows best what you should eat, and you should eat what s/he tells you to, regardless of your assessment of it'sa "healthiness." But what s/he'll advise for the first forty eight hours is usually full liquids and stuff the texture of thin mashed potatoes and yogurt. WHAT it is is less important than it's texture. Almost anything can be pureed to the appropriate texture with some water and a food processor or sturdy blender.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    oatmeal, eggs, steamed veggies, baked/mashed potatoes, a banana spread with peanut butter, muffins, yogurt and berries, sugar free pudding

Cheesy broccoli:
    2 cups frozen, chopped broccoli florets
    1/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
    1-2 T skim milk

1. cook the broccoli as directed on the package. (you can boil it, or I pop it in the microwave to save time) 2. Place cooked broccoli in a bowl, add cheese and milk. 3. stir until cheese is melted.

Avoid crunchy veggies and fruits, meats, crackers, chips, dense or sticky breads with crust

I'd avoid the peanut butter if it's likely to make you suck on the roof of your mouth to free it. That is a good way to displace clots and sutures, and they usually advise you to avoid sucking at all.
  • Auntiekrislynne
    Auntiekrislynne Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you puree up some of the soft foods you regularly eat (unfortunately like baby food) you will get some substance and not have to worry to much about just eating things like jello and yogurt. Trust me it won't be long till you can eat really food again. I went through it about a year ago and I made it through.
  • Licia325
    Licia325 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all of your help!
  • rughead06
    rughead06 Posts: 4,291 Member
    Options
    there is something in pineapple juice that helps reduce the swelling in your mouth. so might want to sneak in some pineapple juice.
  • kethompson1162
    Options
    My 23 yo son had a;ll four removed on Wednesday morning we have found that some of the best things to eat besides what everyone have suggested are pancakes with applesauce instead of syurp, and his has been drinking a quart of Silk
    fruit and Protein Drink Daily. it comes in 3 fantastic flavors so he can have a different one each day.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    bump! i'm getting mine out in a month, really curious about this too! So far I've thought of yoghurt, ice cream, mashed potato/sweet potato and my friend said salmon is easy to flake off and eat when its cooked? best of luck!

Careful, salmon isn't something you want stuck in your mouth craters. That probably won't smell good if you have a hard time getting it out.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I ate vicodin and slept for two weeks, lol.

(but I had a really really bad infection from the impaction before the surgery. I was very sick.)
  • sapphireswi
    sapphireswi Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    ICE CREAM !!!! :love: :love: :love:
  • misclemence
    misclemence Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal, rice, soup, pudding
  • LiqueLique89
    LiqueLique89 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I ate mashed potatoes, potato soup, and chicken broth (because it was so hard to chew) after getting mines out.
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    go with mashed stuff.... I would take more Sweet potatoes cause they are so healthy for you... great boost too.
    Protein shakes...NO CHUNKS
    Yogurt ,,,no chunks

cream soups

well...a light jello for snack if you're craving a bit of sugar but that's all.
  • Sojaided34
    Options
    Campbell's soup at hand. Some are only 70 or 110 calories.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    No help with the food selection, except to say soft foods (but you already knew that). I will say stay away from sugary foods. the sugar can cause a really bad infection.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I had a PB & banana smoothie after mine...
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Oh Lordy, I was a hot mess when I had mine out. I couldn't keep anything down for a couple days but after that I ate pudding, mushy bananas, and mashed potatoes and gravy from KFC.
  • banshishi
    banshishi Posts: 197
    Options
    Just dont do what I did...go to the cinema and eat popcorn...yes I am an idiot sometimes! After they cranked my jaw open and sorted the infection...it was pretty much anything that I could mash or blend and protein shakes.
  • fatcatjack
    Options
    Hi everyone! I am looking for healthy foods that would be okay for me to eat after having my four wisdom teeth extracted yesterday. I'm thinking applesauce, greek yogurt and jello, but I know I'll get tired of that pretty quickly. Does anyone have any good recipes/ ideas that will not break me in calories?

Thank you!!! Your replies are greatly appreciated!

If you PM me an external e-mail address, I will send you a list of about 100 protein shake recipes. Just don't use a straw. It will lead to dry socket, which I have RIGHT NOW and it is GOD AWFUL!!!! :(