cant contol it :/

Options
some times i have great self control but most of the time i dont ..i can look at a cookie and say "jess your not going to eat that cookie" and next thing i know i am eating the friggin cookie plus 3 more...what the heck can i do to have more self control?

Replies

• joanna1014
    joanna1014 Posts: 14
    Options
    I seem to have the very same problem. I am thinking that I just CAN NOT be around these foods. I will tell my self over and over that I am not going to eat something and just like you I give in plus some. I have also heard chewing gum or painting your nails at these types of moments can truely help...these are the three things I am going to do to help me succeed...hope they help you too
  • twiglips
    twiglips Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Once you spot the cookie, tell yourself no and then chug a big glass of water. Sometimes that helps curb the craving. I've also heard that you should paint your fingernails - that gives you some time to let the craving pass while you paint and dry. I've even tried rewarding myself with a treat if there is something yummy that I can't get off my mind. For instance, if I want to have chips, I'll tell myself that I can have them once I go for a walk, get back from the gym, etc. Most of the time, when I've finished I'm not really that interested anymore. Even if I am, i've already burned it off! Hope those tips help. Keep trying! : )
  • jess_1993
    jess_1993 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I LOVE cookies and had the same problem. Someone suggested I just stuff my face with cookies so I can get sick of them. Sounds horrible but hey it worked! (I didn't eat THAT many to add up to 3500 cal but I ate enough to make me feel sort of disgusted of how much I ate)
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just budget some cookies into your daily allowance? There's no reason to permanently deprive yourself......if you give yourself a little treat now and then, you might find that you are more satisfied and your cravings will diminish.
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have a sugar and/or bad carb addiction. I had to completele clear my house of any of that stuff while I went through a 17-day detox (the 17 Day Diet worked well for me). Once the sugar was out of my system, the cravings ebbed considerably. Now I just don't have the first cookie (or M&M, or bite of any other sweet) and I do just fine, even if it's in the house. You can do it, but you need to clean out your system first.
  • Audddua
    Audddua Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere on here to clench your fists and take a deep breath. I've used that trick a few times at work when passing by the junk food brought in and I feel like it helped.

I also think becoming a foodie has helped me a ton too. Most of the time those cookies are sad and gross. If I'm going to eat a cookie it's going to be homemade perfection warm from the oven. Now those calories are worth it!
  • tango645
    tango645 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Drinking water and chewing gum usually help me get over a craving. However, if you have the calories left for the day, maybe just take half the cookie. If you don't take anything, like you said, the craving hits later and you end up taking the whole thing. Portion is huge part of losing, so saying "Yeah, half this cookie is okay, especially if the alternative later is the whole thing." Once you're done, put that other half out of your mind. Good luck!
  • rachey121
    rachey121 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    This happens to me everyday! I just tell myself that my guilt will last way longer than the taste of the cookie!! Gum works great.
    Though I allow myself to have one thing that I crave on fridays, kinda like a cheat meal I guess. I dont go overboard but it helps with the cravings. Try allowing yourself to have a "cheat meal" once a week just dont make it last the whole week :)
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Log it. Look at how many calories are in the cookie BEFORE you eat it. If you still want it, then eat it, BUT limit yourself to A single serving.
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel.

ESPECIALLY during TotM.

Choc Peanut Butter Bugles and Cheetos. GRRRR.

I find that if my mind's occupied and doing something so engaging, it usually helps.
  • Shakila87
    Shakila87 Posts: 70
    Options
    Why don't you just budget some cookies into your daily allowance? There's no reason to permanently deprive yourself......if you give yourself a little treat now and then, you might find that you are more satisfied and your cravings will diminish.
    This is a absolute must!!! Have a little now or you WILL binge later which is NOT good. I just learned to budget what I want into my daily calories and it works great! You can do it :-)
  • weisegirl1119
    weisegirl1119 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    bump
  • meggawatt
    meggawatt Posts: 145 Member
    Options

^ This works for me, good luck to you.
  • exlaxref
    exlaxref Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising?

I look at the caloric value of whatever is tempting me and think about how much time I have to spend on the elliptical to burn off what I am about to eat.

That usually does it for me.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Remember that you ARE always in control. You are making the choice to eat that cookie. And it's a valid choice. The key is to figure out how to make choices that help you reach your goals. Do you want to binge on cookies, which will probably make your body feel bad and won't help with your weight loss? Is the short-term taste sensation more important than your long-term desire to be healthy? Either choice is valid, but it's a choice you have to make. Or, as others suggested, would you be ok with budgeting those treats in regularly so you don't need to binge? That's a valid option, and one that many people find success with. Personally, if I have one sugary treat, I crave them all day, so for the most part I just try not to have them, but that's just me.

It helps to have a plan in place. Plan your meals and snacks ahead of time. Include treats if you like, or don't if you don't want to. Have healthy snacks around for those times when you're needing a little something to munch on -- grapes, apples, hard-boiled eggs, string cheese, nuts, or whatever else you enjoy that's healthy. If you have a plan in place, you don't have to spend time and energy thinking about it. You'll just do it. When I don't have fruit and other healthy snacks handy, I'm more likely to grab junk. Also, make sure you're staying well-hydrated and getting enough sleep. When you're tired or dehydrated, you're more likely to crave sweets.
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I have the SAME problem... absolutely. I buy something thinking I will eat one serving or whatever and I end up eating the whole package. It's such a mind game with me...

I have found that if Idon't have them in my house and when I get an irresitable craving, I'll go to the store and buy one. Just one (ok, or two) and that will satisfy me but if I have any of that stuff in the house I eat them ALL!

One day I will overcome my mind, but until then I have to beat it at it's own games :)
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising?

I look at the caloric value of whatever is tempting me and think about how much time I have to spend on the elliptical to burn off what I am about to eat.

That usually does it for me.

I think this is the EXACT wrong way to think about food. I look at my goals and tailor my calorie intake to achieve my goals. In other words, I don't look at calories and food as the enemy. I look at calories and food as a means to achieve a goal, of which I have two:

1) Lose 15lbs
    2) Get stronger.

I think when you start seeing exercise as a means to get rid of bad food you eat, you are setting yourself up for failure. Just my $0.02
  • jt_italian_23
    Options
    I get night time cravings a lot. What helps me not eat a bunch of sweets is I'll just simply go brush my teeth,, after I get the mint flavor in my mouth I don't want to eat sweet/ junk food anymore.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    some times i have great self control but most of the time i dont ..i can look at a cookie and say "jess your not going to eat that cookie" and next thing i know i am eating the friggin cookie plus 3 more...what the heck can i do to have more self control?

I've had a similar problem. Why are the cookies there? Did you buy them? If you did, don't. If they're there for someone else, have them put them out of reach. If you really want a cookie, go out and buy it. If your only choice is one of those huge cookie that bakeries sell to justify charging you more money, break it in half, give away, freeze, or throw out the other half.
  • missashley884
    missashley884 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    when you deprive yourself, you will be more likely to binge. have that treat if you want it! not saying eat 10 cookies a day, but hell one cookie every other day aint gonna kill ya!