Why villify white rice?

Options
12346»

Replies

• mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I think you have to look at the diet and lifestyle as a whole. Asians who have emigrated to the United States and adopted a largely American diet have developed problems associated with Western diets, for example, breast cancer in women. The Japanese women the OP was talking about probably don't go to huge grocery stores and buy a month's worth of groceries, they probably shop almost daily, as French women used to do. They also probably are conditioned to eat smaller quantities, as are people in many other cultures.

I love rice, and can't imagine not having Japanese white rice in sushi or chirashi (a dish that consists of a huge bowl of vinegared and sweetened rice with fish and shellfish on top). I also can't conceive of risotto without Italian arborio rice, or having Indian food without real Indian rice. But brown rice is healthier than white because the bran and germ are preserved during the processing and they contain nutrients.

I remember a story in The Joy of Cooking (?) that I read as a kid. There was a ship that had some nuns as passengers. The nuns prepared their own food and they meticulously stripped their rice and ate it white. During the passage, to some some then-exotic place, they developed Beriberi, an ailment caused by a Vitamin B1 deficiency. The crew didn't. They ate brown rice.

Brown rice is nutty and chewy; for general eating, I prefer it to white rice. It's ironic that it's now more expensive than white when brown rice used to be what poor people ate.
  • mfpcopine
    Options
    Careful, you are arguing with the real Ron Swanson.

ron-swanson-food-is-scared-of-me-480x274.png

I love that character. I'm not a regular watcher of Parks and Recreation, but I loved the episode when he so demoralized a Fourth Grader that she turned in a report on the purpose of Good Government that said "What's the point?" :smile:
  • GiaFox
    GiaFox Posts: 48
    Options
    Well, apparently, the western idea of rice is very poor and misinformed. Why do you think so many Asians are thin and fit, despite consuming rice all their lives? The ones with the health problems are the ones who follow a more ''western'' like diet.

Rice is a very healthy substitute to bread, pasta, potatoes. It's actually the richest carb source, and the least aggressive on the body.

For women, rice stimulates production of estrogen, which is very beneficial in the long run for a woman that wants to preserve her reproductive health and not only.

Also, rice contains more carb than potatoes, and it is better absorbed by the body. It doesn't make you gain weight, as many western sources like to think.

The question here is, the quality of the rice. The western rice (produced in western countries) may be a bit problematic, as I am quite skeptical about the way they cultivate it. I think they treat it with additives and what not, which is no wonder why its reputation is so poor. Asian rice, Cambodian, Thai, is the best. You just have to have a good source to get it from. They sell it in sacks, not in small packages. Plus, I would be weary about buying rice in plastic bags. It should be put into textiles.

Ultimatly, brown rice is the best kind, because it's the closest to its natural state.

Overall, I eat rice regularly, and grew up on rice as well. Never did I have weight issues, or health issues because of it. It's actually a great substitute to bread. I always feel light and energized after eating a meal that contains rice, compared to when I eat bread, which I feel slown down and heavy. You don't have to eat a lot of it, as it is consistent (rice), and light on the digestive system. And I never saw anyone to gain weight from rice, compared to bread, when you do.

Rice is an awesome weight loss or maintainance crop. It is very healthy, highly absorbable by the system, light, consistent and energizing.

Hope I helped.
  • Fit_2013
    Fit_2013 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I love basmati rice and find it hard to lose weight because of the sedentary life style not because of the low fat rice I eat. Truly isn't the duke rice diet been in existence for a long time that sure proves that everything has to be in moderation.
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    My daughter lives in France and says no one is overweight. When she comes back to the US to visit, she notices all the obese Americans. She says the French are slim because they eat 3 meals a day and that's all.

I hear this all the time ("no one is overweight in fFance") but when I was there just last year, it was certainly not the case. And no they weren't tourists.
    Oh le humanity!

That just made me choke.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Completely off topic, but I had a moment of temporary dyslexia and read this as "Why vilify Vanilla Ice?" And I was about to come in with all the reasons...

Carry on.
  • atrjohnson
    atrjohnson Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Like the previous poster ruby...So, my theory is that no food is evil, and there is no one "right" way to eat. It's about each of us finding out for ourselves what makes us feel good and full of energy, as well as working out what fits into our own lifestyle. For me, I know I am healthier and happier when I eat a good variety of veggies, meat, seafood, rice, pasta, dairy etc and limit the amount of chocolate, cakes, biscuits etc. Just cutting out "carbs" leaves me hungry and grumpy - so that's not right for me.

I agree with her. My mother can have all the rice and pasta she wants. My father is underweight but diabetic. He cannot have much of any pasta and rice. It greatly effects his blood sugar levels. I am not diabetic but I am insulin resistant, have PCOS, and am obese so I do not play around with pasta or rice very often. If effects my blood sugar as well.
  • JessLLoser
    JessLLoser Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Acg67 in your picture it looks like you can eat all the white rice you want.

All this linking to studies that turn out to just uphold your belief that you are right sounds a bit religious. Like I believe it is so, thus it is true.

I can find studies that say marijuana is good for you. Even though any fool can see inhaling smoke into your lungs isn`t good in any case. People die from smoke inhalation. It isn`t even bro science. Your in a fire, get out in enough time you live, breathe smoke too long and you die. Not to mention the charred skin. Ouch! And the smell.

Look, the point is, no one food is bad. Even sugar has it`s place. I didn`t eat sweets for 2 years to lose weight. I lost like 5lbs. No Cake For 2 Years!

I see so many people doing different things on here. Eating carbs just once a day, all Paleo, whatever. I want to be normal at a normal weight!

No one does these crazy things to lose weight here. Some people are fat yes, but they do tend to eat too much. I got fat by drinking too much. But I have stayed fat trying to lose weight.
    This is messed up!
    I seriously don`t think it is the rice anymore!
  • JessLLoser
    JessLLoser Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Completely off topic, but I had a moment of temporary dyslexia and read this as "Why vilify Vanilla Ice?" And I was about to come in with all the reasons...

Carry on.

Ha ha ha ha ha! But also hate Vanilla Ice while secretly coveting his hairstyle.

Rice, Rice Baby. Too cold, Too cold.

I imagine Mr. Chow from the Hangover singing this.
  • KuroNyankoSensei
    KuroNyankoSensei Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Yeah, Asians walk a lot ;x. Most don't own cars, and public transportation in Japan in 1000x better than in the US.

My granny said that she walked probably 10-15 miles a day in Vietnam when she was young. She lived in a village and had to go from place to place, and walk far to get to the market. She doesn't eat red meat, and she's turning 84 this year ;3.

I would gain weight from all the snacks I would eat, but not from the white rice I would eat at dinner time. White rice was usually followed by stir-fried vegetables like water spinach, zucchini, collard greens, bell peppers, cabbage, etc. or vegetable soup, and then some kind of protein, which was usually fish.

If I didn't snack so much on junk, I probably would be closer to my ideal weight ;-;.
  • mfpcopine
    Options
    My daughter lives in France and says no one is overweight. When she comes back to the US to visit, she notices all the obese Americans. She says the French are slim because they eat 3 meals a day and that's all.

I hear this all the time ("no one is overweight in fFance") but when I was there just last year, it was certainly not the case. And no they weren't tourists.
    Oh le humanity!

That just made me choke.

The French government has been concerned about obesity among the French for many years.
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I love brown rice, but I grew up eating it--my mom was a health nut. I don't mind white rice but given a choice, I will choose brown.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    If I'm just having it as a side, I have brown rice just because it seems like kind of a waste to choose white rice when brown rice will fill me up for longer. But I wouldn't never go for sushi with white rice.

I think it is a good rule of thumb for people who are overweight to choose brown over white for rice, bread, ect. It's an easy lifestyle change for some. White rice isn't evil, but it's not going to give you the same substantial health benefits of brown rice.
  • pamelak5
    pamelak5 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I eat basmati. Can't stand brown rice. I don't eat a lot of it, prefer my pasta to rice anyway

Have you tried brown basmati? That's all we eat at home!